Former member
Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1515dfky.html

Georgia Darlene Nolan
Missing since November 28 1976 from Harlan County, Kentucky

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: June 5, 1946
Age at the time of her disappearance: 30 years old
Height and weight at the time of her disappearance: 5'4-5'5", 120-130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark brown hair, brown eyes.
Medical Conditions: Possible slight arthritis in the hands. Had given birth to four children.
Clothing: Possibly wearing an indian style shirt of unknown design.

Circumstances of Disappearance :

Georgia Nolan was last seen in late November 1976, with her estranged husband. It was later said that Georgia had exited their vehicle on the interstate near the Illinois/Kentucky border after an argument. Shortly thereafter, on November 28th, her brother reported her missing. She has never been seen again and foul play is suspected. DNA is available for collection.

This is a direct quote from Georgia's daughter who will join us hopefully here shortly, (you know, the 'ol registering thing and all) :

...my mother's last known residence was located in Harlen, Kentucky. One night she was traveling to chicago. she got out of the car and no one has heard from her since. Missing persons can't find her. directory assistance can't find her. She was an attractive woman in her thirties. Her hair was dark. She has four kids who still wonder. Her name is Georgia Darlene Mitchell. she was a Nolan at the time......

This is about 30 minutes from where I live. This is really baffling. She is a very pretty lady. I sure wish her family the best and hope they find the answers they are looking for.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/15926957.html

This is was the latest case that they have had in their Mountain Cold Case on the local news. According to them, they have a lead from a Jane Doe found in Virginia in 1980. In case you have problems with video like I do, here is the Jane Doe for comparison: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/568ufva.html .

To be honest, I have a hard time looking at Georgia's picture. I don't know why, but it sends shivers up my back. I think that this is a good chance that it is her. I think it's just a gut feel, but they do look similar.

To be honest, I have a hard time looking at Georgia's picture. I don't know why, but it sends shivers up my back. I think that this is a good chance that it is her. I think it's just a gut feel, but they do look similar.

Personally I think Georgia looks much better than the reconstructed face from the skeleton who has, to say the least, quite an unlikely blend of features. The forward chin is a distinctly Caucasian feature but I have never seen anyone sporting one with such a flat nose (certainly different from Georgia's picture), I mean it's unusually flat, as if it was the result of a facial developmental anomaly, such a feature would likely have been mentioned as a distinguishing characteristic if Georgia had one. The mouth doesn't look normal either, it's too small, too prominent and makes the face look as if the woman was in a perpetual foul mood, definitely not the impression I get from Georgia's picture.

In fact I get the impression that forensic experts suspect that the skeleton belonged to someone with a medical condition otherwise the nose would not have been rendered with such an odd shape. While the height of the nose's bridge can often (but not always) be determined from the nose bone its shape, especially when no comparison with living relatives is possible, is subject to artistic license. In such cases forensic artists will draw multiple versions a face, each sporting a nose shape consistent with the racial characteristics of the skeleton (when known) which for Caucasians mean a lot of different shapes. However in this case the shape is so unusual that I suspect the artist worked with the assumption that the skeleton belonged to someone with a specific facial development condition.

Personally I think Georgia looks much better than the reconstructed face from the skeleton who has, to say the least, quite an unlikely blend of features. The forward chin is a distinctly Caucasian feature but I have never seen anyone sporting one with such a flat nose (certainly different from Georgia's picture), I mean it's unusually flat, as if it was the result of a facial developmental anomaly, such a feature would likely have been mentioned as a distinguishing characteristic if Georgia had one. The mouth doesn't look normal either, it's too small, too prominent and makes the face look as if the woman was in a perpetual foul mood, definitely not the impression I get from Georgia's picture.

In fact I get the impression that forensic experts suspect that the skeleton belonged to someone with a medical condition otherwise the nose would not have been rendered with such an odd shape. While the height of the nose's bridge can often (but not always) be determined from the nose bone its shape, especially when no comparison with living relatives is possible, is subject to artistic license. In such cases forensic artists will draw multiple versions a face, each sporting a nose shape consistent with the racial characteristics of the skeleton (when known) which for Caucasians mean a lot of different shapes. However in this case the shape is so unusual that I suspect the artist worked with the assumption that the skeleton belonged to someone with a specific facial development condition.

Karl, I have no idea just why looking at it sends the shivers. Seeing it on TV last night did the same thing as when I first saw it on Doe. I'm not sure that the nose on the clay bust and the her's don't look the same. The eyes and chin (to me) look very similar.

Here's a local newspaper story on the case as well. It says that most of the family believe she is buried somewhere in Harlan County area. http://www.harlandaily.com/articles/2008/02/24/news/local_news/news8372.txt

Just to update. The local news station here is going to be doing an update tonight @11 pm on "a cold case recently covered in Harlan County." This has to be it as the others are from other areas of the state. If it is (or isn't) I'll post the story here as soon as it's available.

I know this thread hasn't seen much attention lately but I have a question. I have been "sleuthing" about Georgia Nolan and I am wondering, do Namus and other Missing Person's databases require documentation to prove the identity of the person they are listing?In other words, proof that they do in fact exist. I have searched everywhere for family information about Georgia under all last names, date of birth, spouses, Harlan Kentucky, genealogy sites, her children and have come up completely empty. Is it possible that the name is wrong?
:banghead:

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

Demographics
Missing Age33 Years
Current Age76 Years
First NameGeorgia
Middle NameDarlene
Last NameNolan
Nickname/Alias--

SexFemale
Height5' 4" (64 Inches)
Weight120 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactNovember 25, 1976
NamUs Case CreatedDecember 12, 2008
Last Known Location Map
LocationHarlan, Kentucky
CountyHarlan County

Circumstances of DisappearanceNolan exited her vehicle on interstate somewhere between Kentucky and Chicago.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair DescriptionDark brown
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye DescriptionBrown
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark
Scar on forehead, scars on lower back, mole on back of neck.

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Indian style shirt.

Jewelry
Cross necklace.

R/O

upload_2019-11-20_9-3-3.png

upload_2019-11-20_9-3-24.png

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Georgia Darlene Nolan
GDNolan1.jpg georgia_darlene_nolan_1.jpg
Missing Since: November 28, 1976
Missing From: Harlan, Harlan County, Kentucky
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: June 5, 1946

Height: 5'4 - 5'5"

Weight: 120 - 130 lbs.
Hair Color: Dark brown
Eye Color: Brown

Marks/Scars: A scar on her forehead. Georgia had severe scarring, deep stab wounds on her lower back from an unknown incident. On the back of her neck she had a large mole.

Distinguishing Characteristics: Cigarette smoker
Medical Conditions: Possible slight arthritis in the hands. Had given birth to four children. She gave birth via Cesarean section two months before her disappearance.
Clothing: Possibly wearing an Indian style shirt of unknown design.Jewelry: A cross necklace
Dentals: Her teeth were in good condition
DNA: mtDNA & nucDNA available at University of North Texas

Circumstances of Disappearance

Georgia Nolan was last seen in late November 1976, with her estranged husband. It was later said that Georgia had exited their vehicle on the Interstate near the Illinois / Kentucky border after an argument. Shortly thereafter, on November 28th, her brother reported her missing. She has never been seen again and foul play is suspected.

Investigating Agencies

Kentucky Intelligence & Missing Persons
Tim Hensley: 502-564-1020
Kentucky State Police: 606-573-3131

Agency Case Number:
NCIC Number: M-125607520

17 Unidentified Person Exclusions:
UP8913 12/20/1976 Carbon PA
UP637 11/05/1978 Fulton GA
UP6249 11/14/1980 Rockingham VA
UP8579 01/25/1981 Hanover VA
UP3153 04/19/1981 Will IL
UP6259 04/22/1981 Lawrence OH
UP5819 12/05/1981 St. Martin LA
UP8427 07/17/1982 Washoe NV
UP6796 11/18/1985 Alleghany VA
UP6642 08/07/1986 Chesterfield VA
UP4768 04/19/1990 Licking OH
UP6629 02/03/1991 Frederick VA
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA
UP8493 12/06/1993 Fairfax VA
UP10647 06/07/2006 San Mateo CA
UP4969 11/29/2006 Hamilton OH
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA

Georgia Nolan ( - November 28, 1976) - Online Memorial Website
Georgia was born Georgia Darlene Mitchell in May 26 1943 to Walter and Cassie (Turner) Mitchell at Tway, Ky. She was the middle sibbling of two brothers. She married Lincoln Pruitt whom she had three children with before they divorced. She later married Denver Patrick Nolan and they also had a daughter who was only six weeks old at the time of her disappearnce. Georgia, who was in the process of a second divorce, left her brother Sunny's home on Thanksgiving 1976 with her estranged husband, Denver, saying that they were going to get a coke at a local drive-in restaurant. She never returned from that trip and no explanation was given to her immediate family. They never knew she was missing until six months later and they immediately reported it to the authorities. Her brothers thought that she was in Chicago during this six month time span. However, her first husband's family had been told the day after she actually disapeared that she had exitied Denver's vehicle on the interstate between Kentucky and Indiana during a heated argument. The Mitchells and the Pruitts were estranged from each other during this time span due to the bitter divorce and never had the opportunity to compare stories until years later. By that time all evidence or information was consdiered tainted in the investigation. Denver Patrick Nolan was never questioned about her whereabouts or his involvement with her disappaerance. Last year the family was granted with a dig in a spot where we thought she could have possibly been burried. However, this dig yielded no results and we are still in the process of searching for answers. Teresa Ann Pruitt
Facebook Page www.facebook.com/MissingPersonColdCase1976/

The ex-husband told 3 different stories because he was not prosecuted? he must be to blame if he left her alone on the road how did he not think of that before? or that the strange woman took her at the gas station? fake liar guy
poor thing with 4 babies

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb