967 users online (187 members and 780 guests)  

Websleuths News

NY - Devon Rivers, 14 mos, Brooklyn, 29 Feb 2000 *D. Hester-Bey guilty*

NEW YORK -- A Brooklyn, N.Y., mother of six will spend 10 years in prison for killing her toddler son and collecting his welfare benefits.

Diatra Hester-Bey was sentenced to 15 months to four years in prison for criminally negligent homicide. Hester-Bay was convicted last month of killing 14-month-old Devon Rivers, her youngest child, six years ago.

The 35-year-old woman also received two to six years for third-degree grand larceny and welfare fraud. The sentences will run consecutively, for a total maximum of 10 years.
    http://www.ksat.com/news/8663082/detail.html
    Poor little boy.At least her other 5 kids will be safer now .

So she gets a few months for the murder, and a few years for the fraud. That makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    So she gets a few months for the murder, and a few years for the fraud. That makes perfect sense.
    Sick isn't it? We def know where their sympathies are.

I'm an OB nurse and several years ago a coworker took care of a pregnant woman who had had several children in the last several years. My coworker remebered her from the previous year when she had a stillborn. On her public aide medical card was the name and birhtdate of the stillborn baby. She had been collecting money on a baby she never brought home. My coworker called the department of public aide to report this and was told to "mind her own busines"! Our tax dollars at work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee
    I'm an OB nurse and several years ago a coworker took care of a pregnant woman who had had several children in the last several years. My coworker remebered her from the previous year when she had a stillborn. On her public aide medical card was the name and birhtdate of the stillborn baby. She had been collecting money on a baby she never brought home. My coworker called the department of public aide to report this and was told to "mind her own busines"! Our tax dollars at work!!!

2009: appeal denied.

Defendant was convicted of smothering her 14-month-old son in an effort to get him to lie still and take a nap, as well as collecting welfare benefits for her son for four years after his death.

The PEOPLE of the State of New York, Respondent, v. Diatra HESTERBAY, also known as Diatra Hester-Bey, Defendant-Appellant

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-suprem...n/1103951.html