'Skeleton woman' dead in front of TV for years

Jean

Former Member
Reaction score
This is just awful! I can't believe her relatives didn't become concerned about her. The article is too long to post. I would recommend reading it. How sad that this poor woman was dead for three years and no one missed her or was concerned enough to check on her.

'Skeleton woman' dead in front of TV for years

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/04/13/uskeleton.xml

A woman's skeleton was discovered in her flat three years after she is believed to have died, it emerged today.

Jean said:
A woman's skeleton was discovered in her flat three years after she is believed to have died, it emerged today.

From the way they worded that, it looks like the skeleton emerged after three years. SPOOKY.

How sad that her sisters didn't even try to contact her in all that time. I'm surprised that the landlord didn't start eviction process before 3 years. The smell must've been horrid. How could anyone not notice??

Totally, .......weird. How could they have no contact, no rent, the smell? :doh:

Good Grief!
fran

I used to live not so far away from this area - the local housing officials are incompetent. always have been. :(

i do have to wonder how on earth the television was still running non stop for 3 years. not to mention they didn't cut of her electricity. :eek:

Something just doesn't add up here. Her utilities were still on and her rent wasn't being paid. Utility companies are not that giving! Did this poor woman just get lost in the cracks? How very sad to think that someone can die and no one notices for three years. Heartbreaking.

I agree with all of you, how can she go unnoticed for 3 years??? Died at age 40 from natural causes... wow, seems young to me..

2XL said:
Something just doesn't add up here. Her utilities were still on and her rent wasn't being paid. Utility companies are not that giving! Did this poor woman just get lost in the cracks? How very sad to think that someone can die and no one notices for three years. Heartbreaking.

Yes - i think she just got lost in the cracks. :(

how can they possibly tell she died of natural causes, for goodness sake? she had been placed in the women's refuge accommodation as a victim of domestic violence - so maybe someone got to her?

Geez, that's awful young to die from natural causes. I wonder if she had any known medical problems.

The Metropolitan Housing Trust website is waiting for your feedback:

http://www.metropolitanhousingtrust.co.uk/

We provide good quality, affordable homes to those most in need.

indeed?

We work closely with our residents to ensure we manage their homes well, provide speedy repairs and give support when it's needed.

this is the organisation which gave the flat to the lady.

i do think they have a problem in this organisation when they didn't do anything about not collecting rent. and sending someone out to find out what the problem might be. :furious:

Gosh, she wasn't an elderly lady with no friends and family. She was 40. She had friends and family because the article mentioned the presence of
Christmas presents in her flat..
Oh, this is SO sad.

About rent and utilities: I don't know what her economic status was, but isn't it possible that she had a trust fund or bank account with automatic payments set up and had the money for the rent and electricity to be paid up? That's the only fairly normal thing I can come up with about everything being paid and her being dead for 3 years.
I hate to be morbid, and I know this would be a weird stretch, but I was recently reading about a few serial killers down through history who keep decomposing corpses with them. ( It happened because I read an interesting statement attributed to serial killer Edward Gein and I didn't know who he was- wish I still didn't).
I wonder if there is any chance that another person, the killer, had been in the house with the body off and on and had kept things paid up?

The housing authority had the police come and break in so that they could try and collect money she owed for rent. Electricity may have been included though. The article mentions that she has sisters, so why they weren't more interested in her is anyone's guess. Apparently, she was there due to some domestic violence issues, so that could mean anything. Sad case though.

From that last article it sounds like her rent was heavily subsidized. So her portion was the only part that went unpaid and they probably let it pile up for quite some time before attempting to collect. I am guessing that the utilities in this apartment bldg were either included in the rent or paid by the mgmt. My mom lived in a bldg like that. Otherwise the electricity would certainly have been disconnected before 3 years. I just can't believe that the smell did not alert the neighbors. I helped clean up a home where someone had lain dead for 10 days (long story, can't go into it) and the odor was so horrific that you could smell it from approximately 50 to 75 feet OUTSIDE the home with the door closed. Of course I have a very keen sense of smell, so maybe others could not detect it that far away. But I cannot comprehend how people in the units around her did not literally gag from the odor.

Now this is truly hard to believe! That the landlord had not taken actions sooner to recoup his rent, that the power company had not shut off her elec., that a relative did not try to make contact in all that time, and that the postman (who knows all about us on his/her route didn't know something was amiss).
It would also sound like the protection for the "victim's of violence" organization that place her in this location were quite remiss.
Let us all hope that our demise is not as sad!

Puca said:
Now this is truly hard to believe! That the landlord had not taken actions sooner to recoup his rent, that the power company had not shut off her elec., that a relative did not try to make contact in all that time, and that the postman (who knows all about us on his/her route didn't know something was amiss).
It would also sound like the protection for the "victim's of violence" organization that place her in this location were quite remiss.
Let us all hope that our demise is not as sad!

As far as the postman was concerned, mail goes directly through the door into the home, so it would be difficult to tell it was piling up.

i never once met my postman at any time during all the years i lived in London.

other parts can be explained in that someone else was paying for her utilities.

there was only part payment missing for the rent.

main thing is the appalling lack of vigilance as far as protection for the "victim's of violence" organization which is most damning, IMO.

what the heck is a "bedsit"..............?????

reb said:
what the heck is a "bedsit"..............?????

A bedsit is a one room appartment where one sleeps and . . . sits. :dance:

bedroom - sittingroom. geddit? :)

'studio appartment' i think they call it in America?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back