Un-intended blessings.

Elicere

Reaction score
I'm not wholly sure that this is the appropriate forum for this post, but it seemed the least in-appropriate.

I would just like to thank and encourage everyone here for the work they are doing, and for the concerted effort that is made to keep missing persons cases from being forgotten.

I cannot comment on how helpful this all must be to the people who are missing their loved ones, but I can offer the slightly unusual perspective of having been a missing person, and tell you that the continued evidence that other people care is deeply heartening.

When I was 19 years old, I got a job working with a travelling sales company, and became effectively homeless - I depended on the occasional collect call to keep in touch with my family. Until one day I tried to call and there was a block on the phone against receiving collect calls.

Shortly after this I met a trucker at one of the motels that the sales company was putting us up at, and left the company and hitch-hiked about with truckers. I was on the road - and completely out of contact with my family- for about half a year.

When I finally came home it was almost five in the morning - a very cold early spring day -- the trucker I was hitching with had dropped me off a couple hours earlier at a near-by gas station, and I had waited until I figured it wasn't too early to wake people up. The light was on at the back of the house, and I walked up the walk past the living room window to the back door, and I could see my mother sitting and reading her books. I remember being surprised she was awake so early, and how old she looked.

I can't describe what it was like that first morning back - it's all a blur -- I remember crawling into bed with my little sister, and waking up to her pinching me because she wanted to be sure I was really there and not just a dream.

We all found out later that the collect call block had been ordered by my step-father. My mother had never known about it, and to her and my sister and brother, I was just gone. My sister tells me that Mom had just stopped sleeping, which is why she was up so early that morning.

Part of my decision to come home came from seeing all of the posters and signs for other missing people while I was hitch-hiking. Strangers caring enough about other strangers to keep their faces where I could see them helped me to believe that going home was possible, even though as far as I knew, I wasn't welcome.

Please keep up the good work - there are un-intended blessings in it.

Elicere.

Thanks for sharing that story. I'm glad you made the decision to come home. Boy it must have been torture on your family, especially your mother.

Great post. Know that we are always looking.IF for one family it is priority. For several, it is more than a blessing.We keep doing this. We keep doing this. It is was has to happen.

I hope Kelly / founder of Project Jason reads this thread.. I have posted a link in the Missing/Located forum

I am going to make this a sticky here and also copy to the missing persons forums. I am so happy that you are home now, thank you for the encouraging words for all those who work so hard to help find the missing!

Oops...I posted in Gabby's thread before I noticed this one.

I am so glad you went home.

Had your family reported you as a missing person?

How are things going for you now?

Many blessings,

I was never formally registered by LE as a missing person, though my sister did try to report me missing - because she was under-aged at the time LE refused to take her report. My mother has told me that she wanted to involve LE, but that her husband adamantly refused, claiming it would make him lose his job.

Things are going well for me -- just to be clear, things were never going very poorly for me on my end - my life has been good. My daughter is going to turn 6 this June, my husband and I are approaching our 8th anniversary.

I had *no idea* how distressed my family was about my lack of communication, nor how seriously it was affecting them.

If it had not been for the constant reminder of all the different signs and posters I saw, I don't know if it would ever have occured to me to go home, and get back in touch.

On a quick side note, let me just say that long distance truck drivers in this country are an amazing bunch of people - I have almost never felt safer or better looked after then I did while hitch-hiking, and I have never met any other group of people so willing to go out of their way to help others.

Again, all I can really say in the end is thank you to everyone who works so hard for this cause.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back