NC - Two Duke Lacrosse Players Indicted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two arrests made in Duke lacrosse case

Bond was set for each player at $400,000, Naylor said.
The two men emerged from a sheriff's deputy vehicle and were led, handcuffed, into the magistrates office at 4:54 a.m. today.

http://www.newsobserver.com/1185/story/429871.html

Two Lacrosse Players Surrender To Durham Authorities

"The two men, sophomore Reade Seligmann, and sophomore Collin Finnerty, surrendered to authorities at the Durham County Magistrate's Office at about 4:55 a.m. They have since been arrested and are being processed."??"Finnerty, a sophomore whose jersey number is 13, arrived at the magistrate's office in a suit and tie; Seligmann in a yellow shirt. Both were accompanied by law enforcement officers and handcuffed with their hands behind their backs."

http://www.wral.com/news/8790097/detail.html

DURHAM, N.C. -- Authorities arrested two 20-year-old Duke University lacrosse players early Tuesday on charges of rape, sexual offense and kidnapping, a jail official said.

Durham police arrested Reade Seligmann and Collin Finnerty, both sophmores, said Col. George Naylor of the Durham County jail. The arrests come little more than a month after a stripper told police she was raped at a party thrown by the team.
Naylor said the players' bond was set at $400,000. If they are unable to post bond, the players will make a first court appearance Tuesday. Seligmann, is 6-foot-1 sophomore from Essex Fells, N.J. Finnerty is a 6-foot-3 sophomore from Garden City, N.Y.

The alleged victim, a 27-year-old black woman and mother of two children, told police she was attacked March 13 by three white men in a bathroom at a party held by

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-duke-lacrosse,0,4959345.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Reade Seligmann has posted bond.

Seligmann had already posted a $400,000 bond by 7:30 a.m. and Finnerty was in the process of doing so for the same amount. By posting bond, the players avoid making a court appearance today.

http://tinyurl.com/npnrw

It was reported she choose two with 100% postive and one at 90% postive id out of a line up.

http://tinyurl.com/s6k84

BhamMama said:
It was reported she choose two with 100% postive and one at 90% postive id out of a line up.

Quite damning.

Floh said:
Quite damning.

If this goes to trial, character will become a huge centerpiece for both sides.

And if all the State has is this women's word and a medical report that indicates she had vaginal trauma consistent with sex, then unless the State seats a favorable jury composite, I suspect the young men will be acquitted.

BhamMama said:
Reade Seligmann has posted bond.

Seligmann had already posted a $400,000 bond by 7:30 a.m. and Finnerty was in the process of doing so for the same amount. By posting bond, the players avoid making a court appearance today.

http://tinyurl.com/npnrw

that was fast!

Wudge said:
If this goes to trial, character will become a huge centerpiece for both sides.

And if all the State has is this women's word and a medical report that indicates she had vaginal trauma consistent with sex, then unless the State seats a favorable jury composite, I suspect the young men will be acquitted.
I think Finnerty's previous attack on a man, assaulting him and calling him gay and other derogatory names, may just pose a small problem for him.

Bee Charmer said:
I think Finnerty's previous attack on a man, assaulting him and calling him gay and other derogatory names, may just pose a small problem for him.

In rape cases that do not have a smoking gun or a biased jury, witness stand performances carry the day. That is the time when "character" is critically measured.

Geez...I don't know what to think...I go back and forth...Now, I am leaning towards the woman's story being true. One of the links said that the lacrosse team had several behavior violations against them, to include many that were severe. It wasn't specific; however, it leads me to believe that this team was out of control.

These young men need to be prosecuted. I just wish that the third one was arrested, too.

nanandjim said:
Geez...I don't know what to think...I go back and forth...Now, I am leaning towards the woman's story being true. One of the links said that the lacrosse team had several behavior violations against them, to include many that were severe. It wasn't specific; however, it leads me to believe that this team was out of control.

These young men need to be prosecuted. I just wish that the third one was arrested, too.

Based on the information that is available to us, I stongly disagree.

In my mind's eye, the D.A., Michael Nifong, who is running for office this year in Durham, which is 45% black, took politics into account when he decided to so quickly charge the young men even though the DNA results were fundamentally exonerating evidence of this alleged gang rape.

At the very least, the D.A. should have waited until he had the results of the additional DNA testing that is being performed.

Wudge said:

In my mind's eye, the D.A., Michael Nifong, who is running for office this year in Durham, which is 45% black, took politics into account when he decided to so quickly charge the young men even though the DNA results were fundamentally exonerating evidence of this alleged gang rape.

At the very least, the D.A. should have waited until he had the results of the additional DNA testing that is being performed.
But...the grand jury saw the available evidence and decided to indict. Do you think that they indicted because of the dancer picked the guys out of a "line up?"

My exercise partner, who is an attorney, is livid about this case. He agrees with you. I just do not know what to think. I guess that we will have to see the evidence before we can truly decide.

I just hope that justice is served in this case, whether that being that the boys are freed or are convicted.

I also agree with you about the circumstances of why the DA is pushing forward with this case. It seems to me to be a win-win for him. He is passing the ball to a jury and letting them decide. He is also getting a lot of free publicity/face time and doing what his "constituents" would want him to do... :rolleyes: I did notice that these boys are not "local." So, that also plays into his thinking, I would assume...

I am leaning toward the woman's story. I really feel these boys that were arrested felt they were untouchable. Wonder if one of the two boys sent the email?

Masissy said:
I am leaning toward the woman's story. I really feel these boys that were arrested felt they were untouchable. Wonder if one of the two boys sent the email?
I kind of feel this way in my gut, but I need more info...I guess. :waitasec:

I also wondered if one of these boys sent that over-the-top email. The link with the email and its authro is probably somewhere in the other thread. I'm too lazy to search for it. :blushing:

nanandjim said:

Hi Nana, nice to see you here..we posted on the Holloway case
together....I agree with you, this trial is going to be very nasty. I just
hope and pray that the truth emerges at the end of it.

Fox is reporting that the DA expects to arrest the third man when they
obtain enough evidence.

nanandjim said:
I kind of feel this way in my gut, but I need more info...I guess. :waitasec:

I also wondered if one of these boys sent that over-the-top email. The link with the email and its authro is probably somewhere in the other thread. I'm too lazy to search for it. :blushing:
That would be Ryan Mcfaydin (sp) and he is suspended
pending a hearing at Duke.

Bee Charmer said:
That would be Ryan Mcfaydin (sp) and he is suspended
pending a hearing at Duke.
Hey there, Bee Charmer. Thanks for the name. :blowkiss: The lacrosse team does seem like they are out of control, don't they?? I guess that only time will tell if there is enough evidence to convict. I also think that they will probably arrest the third guy, but who knows??

Wudge said:

The DNA testing results were not "fundamentally exonerating," as you put it. They were neutral as far as I am concerned. Neither exculpatory nor inculpatory. It sounds to me as though you would have expected useable DNA to be found in 100% of legitimate rape allegations. WHAT RESEARCH IS YOUR EXPECTATION BASED ON?

UNLESS YOU CAN SHOW ME some scientific, statistical, or otherwise academically accepted research that says that the absence of DNA evidence after a rape is correlated with a false rape allegation, then I WISH YOU WOULD STOP behaving as if you know this to be the case.

I also don't get why this D.A. is supposedly so swayed by the fact that 45% of the population is black. What is the racial composition of the other 55% of the community? What % of the community is madeup of Duke affiliates?

You cannot introduce previous crimes or convictions.......so any past criminal convictions cannot be entered as evidence at trial, unless the judge rules it can be...and that is a difficult burden as it has to be "similar" fact circumstances.

Too prejudicial and bias for the jury........you are "judging" the defendent on the case at bar...the case before the judge and jury.

The two "boys" will "claim" that the sex was "with consent", but rough.......I put money on it.....the rallying cry of rapists........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff