Celebrity Baby Names - why so strange?

Dark Knight

Reaction score
IT'S a measure of what we have come to expect from celebrities to consider that if Henry Fonda were alive and having children today, it would seem as likely for him to name his daughter, say, Hanoi, as simply to call her Jane.

It seems almost unimaginable for any 21st-century movie star to send his children out among the Hollywood elite equipped with ordinary names like Michael, Eric, Joel and Peter, as Kirk Douglas once did.

This point was driven home again last week, when Gwyneth Paltrow and her husband, Chris Martin, the frontman of the band Coldplay, named their newborn son Moses. It was an unlikely enough name for a baby boy born in 2006, but perhaps less startling than the much discussed (and mocked) handle his sister, Apple, born two years ago, will carry through life.

Rest of article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/16/fashion/sundaystyles/16NAMES.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Yeah, but if you are an "average" person, but your parents do not feel they are average, therefore by proxy they feel you are not, they will name you an "interesting" name.

So at least the celebs kids will probably be around 'weird" named kids, or "elite" schools with other "weird" named kids.........

But put them in a "public" or "regular" private school with other "normal" named kids and they will have to advertise that they are "a celebs" kid so they are left alone......

Like a a boy named "Haven"......with new age parents.........into organic, crystals......energy....and such....the kid suffered sooooo much.....his parents moved.............he was made fun of......

i love odd names with beautiful sounds, and names that mean something.
my name, Miranda, is a bit unusual, at least around here, but i got teased a lot because of it. (miranda warning etc) i never cared, (i usually said 'heres a penny, go buy a brain") i was named for my cousin who died before i was born. my baby neice is named after me.

a friend named her daughter Cheyenne, thinking it unusual, untill her daughter went to kindergarten. of the 17 female students, there were only 4 names between them. Brittany, Sarah, Nicole, and 3 named Cheyenne. there were also 2 Noahs, 2 Calebs, and 4 Roberts among the boys in the class. i felt sorry for their teacher LOL.

every baby is special. imaginative, historical, meaningful (in whatever language) or sentimental names are fine. i do wonder sometimes if some people even think that their child will grow up and have to live with that cutesie-poo/unpronouncable name when they grow up. but then, i named my first FHA goats Moon Unit and Dweezil...

im also reminded of a joke. a young couple came to america, and conceived a child. they went back home, and named the baby Diahrrea. the proud couple explained that it was the prettiest sounding word in the english language...

I am convinced these celebs are able to pull this off without the child being teased or people giving them negative reactions only because they are famous and wealthy and are thus, in their minds, "above it all." The regular 'ole names just aren't good enough for them and they rely on attention for their livelihood and sense of security and identity, it's their lifestyle.

Eve

I think it is because they are kind of artsy, and also because they can!! Who will make fun of a kid named Apple, when you know the family that has her!

I gotta say it would be easier in a way...yesterday my daughter came home and said she saw a girl that she hadn't seen for quite a while that was in her Girl Scout troop...she couldn't place her name though so we went through the girls...

Brittney K
Brittney Ha
Brittney Ho (2 Brittney H's)
Brittney G
Brittney S
Brianna
Alexia
Alex
Alex K
Allie

Turned out it was Amanda...only had one of those.... :dance:

Lynie

I like the less common and unusual names as long as they can be pronounced. I am especially fond of exotic names from other cultures.

I admit that "Apple" is a bit odd because it is difficult not to picture a big red apple, but Moses is perfectly normal and there are many boys named Moses in the world today. In Israel, Moshe (the Hebrew form) is one of the most common names in that country (ie, Moshe Dayan), and arabic Musa is common in arab countries.

I am not at all a fan of Tom Cruise, but I think the choice of the name Suri for their new baby girl is lovely.

I was unable to access DK's link, even using 4 different id's from bugmenot.com, but I saw an article somewhere else recently that had a list of some other odd baby names. I wrote them down, but can't remember where I found it:

Penn Gillette (of Penn & Teller) - daughter, Moxie Crimefighter

Jason Lee (from My Name is Earl tv show) - son, Pilot Inspektor

Helena Christensen (model) – son, Mingus

And the obvious and already mentioned:

Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin: daughter, Apple and son, Moses

Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes: daughter, Suri

I'm sure there are a ton more I'm leaving out, would be interesting to get a list going of all the weird names these celebrity babies get stuck with.

lynie said:
I think it is because they are kind of artsy, and also because they can!! Who will make fun of a kid named Apple, when you know the family that has her!

I gotta say it would be easier in a way...yesterday my daughter came home and said she saw a girl that she hadn't seen for quite a while that was in her Girl Scout troop...she couldn't place her name though so we went through the girls...

Brittney K
Brittney Ha
Brittney Ho (2 Brittney H's)
Brittney G
Brittney S
Brianna
Alexia
Alex
Alex K
Allie

Turned out it was Amanda...only had one of those.... :dance:

Lynie

Brittney H2 might be a better choice. :D

This subject is near and dear - and for me, other than the humor of it, it's mostly a spelling thing.

I won't even bring up the pronunciation issues.

I'm a teacher and I wish I had a dime for every time I've misspelled Brittney, Brittany, Britney, Britnie, Ashley, Ashlee, Ashly, Ashlie, Katelyn, Caitlyn, Katelin, Catelin, Kelsey, Kelsie, Kelsee, Chelsea, Chelsee, Chelsie, Mikayla, Makayla, Mikaila, Desiree, Desirae, Deseray, Karley, Carly, Carlie...

Current kids I know with with names/spellings "of note:" Celtic, Leevie, Kendryna, Jeg, Amadeus, Jalayn, Marvel, Dallas, Chantal, Harmony, Colton, Timber, Bam, Kaydeelyn.

I've known girls and boys named Kendall, Kendell, Kendyl, Kendal, Riley, Rilie, Rilee, Tory, Torie, Torey...

Oh my, it makes my head spin.

And to think I named my own kids Thomas John, Anne Marie and Stephen Michael. The poor kids, cursed with such weird names! :rolleyes:

Eve

Eve: You made me laugh when I read your post, really you did. I have never thought of it from a teachers point of view.

But it would be a challenge with all of the different spellings........

SieSie said:
I was unable to access DK's link, even using 4 different id's from bugmenot.com, but I saw an article somewhere else recently that had a list of some other odd baby names. I wrote them down, but can't remember where I found it:

I'm sure there are a ton more I'm leaving out, would be interesting to get a list going of all the weird names these celebrity babies get stuck with.

What about Frank Zappa's kids, Moon Unit and Dweezil Zappa!! :banghead: :waitasec:

SieSie said:

Hmm, I didn't need to register to see the article. How odd. :waitasec:

The weirdest celebrity baby names, in my opinion are:

Audio Science
Pilot Inspektor
Pirate and
Fifi Trixiebelle.

I like the name Suri...it's really different.

Tristan said:

Audio Science
Pilot Inspektor
Pirate and
Fifi Trixiebelle.

What about Moon Zappa and her brother Dweezle??? :waitasec:

I knew Frank had a whole clan of kids - all with strange names - just can't remember any others right now.

Tristan said:

Audio Science
Pilot Inspektor
Pirate and
Fifi Trixiebelle.

And don't forget baby "Coco" :p

How about George Foreman and his 5 sons all named George Foreman.

He has George Jr., George III, George IV, George V, George VI

The name George is not unusual but when you have to start calling them by a number it is.

There are some really bad names (Apple Martin and Pilot Lee are probably my top two), but I think the majority of celebrities give their kids pretty normal names. A little uncommon, but not off-the-wall strange. (This has nothing to do with the topic, but I once did a project for a statistics class and found that the majority of A/B-list celebrities are still married to the parent of their kids. It was neat, considering only break-ups get noticed.)

Anngelique said:
How about George Foreman and his 5 sons all named George Foreman.

He has George Jr., George III, George IV, George V, George VI

The name George is not unusual but when you have to start calling them by a number it is.

Don't forget his daughter's name is Georgette or Georgina. I forget which. I'll look it up.

And dont forget the daughters of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis: Rumer Glenn, Scout LaRue and Talluh Belle.

Well, I think Hazel, Phinnaeus (Julia Roberts' twins) and Homer (Richard Gere's son) are right up there too. Remember tv's Hazel, the maid, and wasn't there a pig on Green Acres named Homer (or am I dreaming?)? Boy am I getting old!

Eve

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back