GUILTY PA - Spencer Morrison, 37, & 2 kids killed by woodchipper, Pittsburgh, 13 April 2006

Mama-cita

Self Appointed Goddess
Reaction score
This case happened near where I live and I am so shaken up about it as I have driven on this stretch of road many times with my own kids in the back seat. Spencer Morrison and his triplets were driving along Route 8 when an industrial wood chipper (approimately 5000 pounds) broke free from a truck bounced across the center line and smashed into the Morrison's van. The Tree Service employee did not even realize the chipper had broken free until he got up the hill (how could he not realize that?!?!?!). Spencer and two of his four year old triplets were killed immediately (the accident scene was so gruesome many of the medics can not sleep at night). The force of the crash blew the doors off the van and ejected the third triplet's carseat from the van. He is in critical condition having already undergone several surgeries at Children's Hospital (one of them for 14 hours). The mother was not in the van and today had to bury her husband and two of her babies, while her third baby was in Children's Hospital in critical condition. They buried the daddy and his babies in the same casket:( The news is reporting this tree service has had many reports of negligence in the past, and the owner had his license and insurance taken away at one time due to incidents of negligence. The accident investigators believe that the chipper was NOT secured properly and if it had been, this tragedy might never have happened. UGH! Please pray for Nicole (wife and mother) and Ethan (only survivor). More at links:
http://www.wpxi.com/news/8692191/detail.html
http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_109165919.html

Wow. That is absolutely tragic. I can't even comprehend how the mother must be feeling. She and her little one will definitely be in my prayers.

This is so very, very sad. There's just no words for it. Of course prayers are being sent in their direction.

I'm so sorry to read this. Prayers to all the family and friends and community.

What a horrible tragedy! Worse part, probably preventable. :( My heart and prayers definitely go out to Nicole, and Nathan, her surviving child.
That poor mother ... I can't help but think of that song, "How Do I Live (without you)".

This was near me also.......there are no words to describe how devastated the whole family must be, I cannot even begin to imagine that pain.

Prayers for the family and for the emergency workers as well. This has affected many, many people.

how horrific! The poor mother! :(

Prayers for her and the little boy. I hope he makes a full recovery.

:(

How sad. I hope the little boy heals and has no problems due to this wreck.
That poor mom must be out of her mind with grief. Probably the only thing that keeps her going is that little guy in a hospital bed. Prayers for both of them. They have a rough road ahead.

According to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Ethan is showing signs of recovery. He blew a kiss to his mother:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06108/682961-54.stm

Looking at the photo of the triplets in this article is heartbreaking. It is hard to imagine that a properly secured woodchipper could come flying off of the back of a truck. Something must have been done wrong. Poor Spencer and his kids didn't stand a chance against a 5000 pound flying missle. This makes me so angry and so sad for his wife.

http://kdka.com/local/local_story_104134109.html

My gosh, what a beautiful, promise- filled family! My heart goes out to the wife and mother. I'm glad the one little boy will still have his mother since she was not in the vehicle... and I hope she has him back and well before too long.
I hope the contractor who is responsible for such basic and gross negligence ( no safety chains to secure the machinery) and the driver both incur the harshest penalties permittable under the law, and I hope they never forget what they did.

I am at a total loss of words to this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are w/ the mother and Ethan.

MSM said:
According to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Ethan is showing signs of recovery. He blew a kiss to his mother:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06108/682961-54.stm

Looking at the photo of the triplets in this article is heartbreaking. It is hard to imagine that a properly secured woodchipper could come flying off of the back of a truck. Something must have been done wrong. Poor Spencer and his kids didn't stand a chance against a 5000 pound flying missle. This makes me so angry and so sad for his wife.
He blew a kiss to his mother, oh thank you Lord! I pray that 4yr old baby, will be 100% ok. How heartbreaking and terribly sad. My heart goes out to the mother, I can't imagine the pain of something so sad. :(

What a tragic story! Prayers for the entire family. Poor Ethan, I can't imagine the loss he'll always feel for his 2 triplet siblings, may they all rest in peace.

I just can not imagine any word that would fit into the numbness that I felt while reading this article! I am a mom of 5 year old triplet boys and I have no idea what I would do if I was in this moms shoes. Triplets are a lot of work and energy and I know I complain sometimes, but I wouldnt want it any different than what I have it now. SieSie you are totally right about him always feeling a loss for his siblings. My triplets fight everyday but always worry about each other, and if one is gone somewhere the other two are miserable until he returns home.
There is an organization called twinless twins, its for twins and other multiples that have lost a sibling(s) and helps them deal with it better. I really hope they can get through this with the least possible problems. Im glad that they still have each other, and I send them lots of hugs and condolences from my triplets and I.

I can't even begin to imagine the pain that family is feeling right now. I pray that little Ethan has a full recovery!!

Here is an update into the investigation in this tragedy:
http://www.wpxi.com/news/8888365/detail.html

According to local LE they are being very thorough in the investigation. Someone definitely has to answer for the gross negligence that caused this horrible event!

I came across this article about Spencer Morrison in the Post Gazette (It's a few years old, they spotlighted him because he took a sabbatical to care for his kids). What an amazing father and husband. The part where he talks about always wanting to be there for his family made me CRY :( Such a shame that the carelessness of a person has wiped him and two of his children from the earth...
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04125/310508.stm

PS - Charges have not been filed but I have heard they are imminent. Will post them when they do...

Seems like this stuff always happens to the truly good people. I just don't get it. Maybe God had better plans for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back