England is a nation of "overweight, alcopop-swilling, sex-and-celebrity obsessed.....

Britlaw

Reaction score
according to a travel guide...."England is a nation of "overweight, alcopop-swilling, sex-and-celebrity obsessed television addicts"

Made me laugh.....and I live and was born here!!!!
The latest edition of the Rough Guide to England also warns potential visitors that the hearts of many towns "consist of identikit retail zones".

Britlaw said:
according to a travel guide...."England is a nation of "overweight, alcopop-swilling, sex-and-celebrity obsessed television addicts"

Made me laugh.....and I live and was born here!!!!
The latest edition of the Rough Guide to England also warns potential visitors that the hearts of many towns "consist of identikit retail zones".
How dare they!

I hate alcopops!! :D

ok, redneck here, married to a brit...

what the heck is an "identikit retail zone"?

hubby is fit and mmm fine, rarely drinks anything, but will have a pint with the blokes from work, doesnt watch tv much at all, and isnt obsessed with anybody.

occasionally i read something that i have to ask about, like gary glitter, who i had never heard of.

he is a very proper brit, born and raised in london, but im teaching him redneck ways. he says 'yall' so cute :)

we are working on country ways. he will sweep goat poop off the porch, but chicken poop is too much for him, so far.

actually, that description fits americans just as well...

Mira said:
ok, redneck here, married to a brit...

what the heck is an "identikit retail zone"?

hubby is fit and mmm fine, rarely drinks anything, but will have a pint with the blokes from work, doesnt watch tv much at all, and isnt obsessed with anybody.

occasionally i read something that i have to ask about, like gary glitter, who i had never heard of.

he is a very proper brit, born and raised in london, but im teaching him redneck ways. he says 'yall' so cute :)

we are working on country ways. he will sweep goat poop off the porch, but chicken poop is too much for him, so far.

actually, that description fits americans just as well...
I think by "identikit retail zones" they mean they think all our town centres look exactly the same- you know, the same shops and supermarkets, the same architecture etc...which I think is a LITTLE unfair. But maybe it would seem that way to someone from abroad.
By the way Mira, I bet you'd never asked who Gary Glitter was! :eek:

Okay you guys, I just HAD to Google Gary Glitter! LOL

I'd never heard of him either. Don't know what to think after looking at his website! LOL

montana_16 said:
Okay you guys, I just HAD to Google Gary Glitter! LOL

I'd never heard of him either. Don't know what to think after looking at his website! LOL
He has a website? be careful what you look at on there lol.

He was the pants in the 70's and he's a pants pervert now (not that its funny really....ewwwwwww :( ).

He's in :behindbar and long may it stay that way.

britgirl said:
I think by "identikit retail zones" they mean they think all our town centres look exactly the same- you know, the same shops and supermarkets, the same architecture etc...which I think is a LITTLE unfair. But maybe it would seem that way to someone from abroad.
By the way Mira, I bet you'd never asked who Gary Glitter was! :eek:
actually i did have to ask...hubby said he was a pop star turned sicko. i looked him up, and read a few paragraphs. yukky fella, that one.

i think we have 'strip malls'. same thing i suppose. i read some other stuff from that 'guide', seems like a hate thing to me, or maybe just bad sarcasm.

i doubt any real brit got their knickers in a knot over it LOL

Mira said:
actually i did have to ask...hubby said he was a pop star turned sicko. i looked him up, and read a few paragraphs. yukky fella, that one.

i think we have 'strip malls'. same thing i suppose. i read some other stuff from that 'guide', seems like a hate thing to me, or maybe just bad sarcasm.

i doubt any real brit got their knickers in a knot over it LOL
Dunno about my knickers but I (as a Brit) thought it was really funny. There's some truth in what they say, in that it can sometimes appear that we are like that if you look at the 'red top' newspapers full of 'who had it off with who' stories and page 3 *advertiser censored*, our obsession with celebrities (I am sure its only here you can become a celebrity for doing sweet FA lol) and the fashion for some young people of getting as smashed as possible on Friday and Saturday nights. They do have a point about the identikit retail zones though.

Beyond Belief said:
whats the alcopop? an alcoholic soda?
Yes- things like alcoholic lemonade or cola, or vodka/gin-based drinks flavoured with fruit. Really sugary and horrible, but get you drunk very quickly and therefore popular with people who, er, want to get drunk very quickly! They don't taste that alcoholic so you can drink far too much and not really notice it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back