MD - Katrina Powe, 31, & Mystery Hillian, 9, murdered, Forestville, 22 April 2006

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
DISTRICT HEIGHTS, Md. A 12-year-old boy is being held in the deaths of another boy and a woman at a Maryland apartment on Sunday.

Police won't say how the nine-year-old boy and 31-year-old woman were killed. They say the victims likely died as a result of a domestic dispute. The suspect is related to the victims but police aren't giving details.

Neighbors say the 12-year-old has a violent temper.

story

12 years old and murdered his mom and brother. Explosive temper. Can only be held until he is 21. I'm sorry but there are some things you just can't wipe clean as time passes. Believe me there are some really violent children out there, way smarter at that young age than I ever was (street smart, I mean). I'm expecting an abuse angle to come out...It's going to be hard to wring any pity out of me, I'm sorry.

Here's some more news:
http://www.nbc4.com/news/8941282/detail.html

This is terrible. :(
The boy should've been on some sort of medication for his temper.
Maybe he was and it didn't work.

How sad for his mother and brother, and what they must've endured during hteir final moments.

Where did a 12 year old learn to be this violent?

cathieq said:
. . . Can only be held until he is 21. . . .

Maryland has the option of trying him as an adult, and possible sentences include Life Without Parole.

http://hrw.org/reports/2005/us1005/4.htm

It seems like such a waste, though. I can't imagine being in the position of having to send a 12-year-old away for life. Has anyone seen any rehabilitation statistics for that age group? I would think the "beyond hope" marker would fall around 15 or 16. At 12 he should still be fairly impressionable . . .

PrayersForMaura said:
This is terrible. :(
The boy should've been on some sort of medication for his temper.
Maybe he was and it didn't work.

How sad for his mother and brother, and what they must've endured during hteir final moments.

Where did a 12 year old learn to be this violent?
Some people are just born that way, with a form of organic brain damage that makes it impossible to control emotions. Usually they end up diagnosed/institutionalized fairly early in life. I wonder how big for his age this kid is?

She said she knew both children and that the elder boy "was a good kid." She said he was "always watching" the younger child. However, at least one neighbor told WRC (Channel 4) that the elder boy had a fierce temper.

Several neighbors said the younger boy had once acquired a reputation as a bit of a bully. But, they said, he was changing and had begun to mend his ways.

more on this story

Mom of the best friend alleges the boy had been abused by the mother. Alleges she saw him with a bloody nose and bruises on his face- allegedly mom hit him with a frying pan. She also alleges that he would run away to her home and was sometimes thrown out of the house. She alleges he showed up at her home once, at night in the pouring rain, in his underwear.

mysteriew said:
Mom of the best friend alleges the boy had been abused by the mother. Alleges she saw him with a bloody nose and bruises on his face- allegedly mom hit him with a frying pan. She also alleges that he would run away to her home and was sometimes thrown out of the house. She alleges he showed up at her home once, at night in the pouring rain, in his underwear.
That might explain the mother's death, but why the younger brother? There had to be a lot more going here. Even calling it a blind rage wouldn't convince me that a 12-year-old would murder his younger brother while retaliating against his mother.

According to the best friend's mom, the 12 yo and the younger bro had been to a birthday party. The younger boy went home afterwards, but the older boy went somewhere else. When he got home, the mother was yelling at the older boy, and the younger boy was teasing him. He exploded and killed them both. Supposedly he has said that he keeps seeing his younger brothers face, and that he is sorry he killed him. But that he doesn't regret killing his mother.
I think the best friend's mother is the one who reported the murder, I think the boy went there afterwards, and the mom called the police.
Too bad she wasn't able to make the report about the abuse before the murder's.

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. -- A 13-year-old Maryland boy has admitted killing his mother and 9-year-old brother.

The boy was 12 at the time of the killings. He entered a plea of "involved" to two charges of first-degree murder. Under Maryland law, children under the age of 14 can't be charged as adults.

The boy likely will be sentenced to a detention and treatment center in South Carolina until he turns 21.
http://www.wjactv.com/mostpopular/10429541/detail.html

He's 12 and kicked out of a party??? Came home late and got into a fight with his mother so he kills her??? I know you're not supposed to hit your kids but I'd have kicked a$$.

More than once I tracked my son down and made him come home when he was younger (23 now) - to the point that he was nervous when he did get to a party because Mom might come busting in and tell him to get the he!! home NOW.

Very very sad.... no mention of where the dad was.

miimaa said:
More than once I tracked my son down and made him come home when he was younger (23 now) - to the point that he was nervous when he did get to a party because Mom might come busting in and tell him to get the he!! home NOW.
Miimaa - My Mom was the same way. Might be why I always towed the line after the first embarassing "capture." Thankfully, I was no more than 30 feet from the movie theater I was supposed to be in! Not sure I'd have survived if I was across town or something!

He gets to walk the streets when he's 21?

can't he be put away indefinitely in some mental institution? :behindbar

I just can't wrap my mind around what is happening to our young people today. I do believe that while there are parents out there that don't give a hoot about where their kids are...there are those that try to keep a pretty tight rein on them. But in today's age where a child is told over and over that if anyone touches you inappropriately or you are hit you are to report it to an adult, many parents are afraid to kick @ss. Before I get in over my head here...please understand I agree with this but there are many times when a young person is very capable of lying about it also to threaten a parent.

I guess what I am getting at here is many young people just don't like authority and the age tht they decide this is getting younger every year. I just saw a program asking "Is 10 the new 15?"

This is another terrible tragedy for all involved including the young man. I hope that while he is confined that he will be given the help he obviously needs.....I just don't know if 7-8 years is enough.

I'd be interested to hear if this boy had a long history of trouble at school or other problems and if the mother had tried but had trouble getting him the help that he needed. He must have killed them in their sleep to have been able to murder both mother and brother.

txsvicki said:
I'd be interested to hear if this boy had a long history of trouble at school or other problems and if the mother had tried but had trouble getting him the help that he needed. He must have killed them in their sleep to have been able to murder both mother and brother.

I would like to know more about this boy too. It is a scary day and age. There have been so many more children murdering their parents/parent in the past couple of years...for no reason. The kids want their way about something or mom and dad don't approve of the boy or girlfriend, etc. What is wrong with these kids? I think I'm glad that mine are grown.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phernandez22
Back