823 users online (119 members and 704 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southern Cal
    Posts
    405

    GA - Spc. Robert Hornbeck, 23, Savannah, 16 April 2006

    SAVANNAH, Ga. - When his father called looking for him, Spc. Robert Hornbeck answered his cell phone and spoke just a few words before the connection went dead: "Dad, I'm on the stairs."

    Outside the downtown DeSoto Hilton hotel, Eric Hornbeck called back but got no answer. This was the spot he'd been given to pick up his son and an Army buddy after a night of bar-hopping.




    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12494679/?GT1=7938

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    lalaland, GA
    Posts
    112

    Exclamation

    Im really mad about how my city is treating this. I feel like nothing is being done. The police department is not good at all in my opinion. Last night they did a search.....but waited 9 DAYS??? I dont understand why the boys friend called the father instead of the boy. There were not in the best area at 3 in the morning so if he was mugged or shot at...it would have been known days ago. From following missing persons I would think that the only reason a body would be hidden is if it was NOT just some random crime. NOW ive seen 2 different versions of where he was, either at the desoto or city market. Now if he was at city market and happened to venture off he could have headed to river street....and could have feel in the river. But he would still have to walk a ways....and down some steep steps with cobble stones and if he was that drunk I dont see how he would have made it all the way to the river. But I do believe they were staying at the desoto...if they were staying there then I dont see why they would need have called the father to get them....because they were already where they needed to be. I just hope they have checked all the hospitals and even shelters....never know if someone has a head injury and doesnt remember who they are....When I signed on today I saw the story on the front.....so im so excited that it is actually getting some attention....there isnt enough attention going on in Savannah.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    593
    that is an odd story...

    i wonder how the friend and him got separated at the end of the night? I usually latch on to my friends when i've been drinking and it gets late, but then again, i'm a girl.

    I hope he didn't "snap" and just take off (doubtful) or hurt himself (no indication of that)

    That leaves foul play..maybe he got robbed or a hit and run happened.

    Hope his family finds answers soon.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,577
    I can't help but wonder about the "friend". He was the last one to see him. Something doesn't quite sound right here. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Catherine Crier talked about it on her show today.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,394
    The Dad was with the friend when he called his son the first time and his son answered...

    <SNIP from link in first post above>

    "....Eric Hornbeck arrived at the hotel about 7 minutes later, he said. He found Stone, who said he'd lost sight of Robert Hornbeck just minutes earlier. Then Eric Hornbeck called his son's cell phone.
    "He answered the phone and said something about, `Dad, I'm on the stairs,'" he said. "I can't say if it went dead or he hung up. But that was the end of the conversation...."


    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffy38
    I can't help but wonder about the "friend". He was the last one to see him. Something doesn't quite sound right here. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Catherine Crier talked about it on her show today.

    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Wood
    Im really mad about how my city is treating this. I feel like nothing is being done. The police department is not good at all in my opinion. Last night they did a search.....but waited 9 DAYS??? I dont understand why the boys friend called the father instead of the boy. There were not in the best area at 3 in the morning so if he was mugged or shot at...it would have been known days ago. From following missing persons I would think that the only reason a body would be hidden is if it was NOT just some random crime. NOW ive seen 2 different versions of where he was, either at the desoto or city market. Now if he was at city market and happened to venture off he could have headed to river street....and could have feel in the river. But he would still have to walk a ways....and down some steep steps with cobble stones and if he was that drunk I dont see how he would have made it all the way to the river. But I do believe they were staying at the desoto...if they were staying there then I dont see why they would need have called the father to get them....because they were already where they needed to be. I just hope they have checked all the hospitals and even shelters....never know if someone has a head injury and doesnt remember who they are....When I signed on today I saw the story on the front.....so im so excited that it is actually getting some attention....there isnt enough attention going on in Savannah.
    They weren't staying at the hotel. The article says they were staying with relatives. The friend used Robert's cell phone to call Robert's Dad at 3:00 am. He told Robert's Dad that they were lost and asked if he could pick them up at the hotel. The article also says that Robert was mad at the friend for calling his Dad because he didn't want to be "rescued." Sounds like the friend stayed put because he wanted a ride and Robert got mad at the friend and took off and then something happened to him.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,387

    Report: Missing Soldier Spotted

    Report: Missing Soldier Spotted
    There are reports this morning that a soldier who has been missing for 11 days has been spotted in Georgia.


    The Savannah Morning News says several witnesses told police they saw Spec. Robert Hornbeck in Statesboro, west of Savannah.

    More Here



    Dad Searches for Missing Soldier Son

    SNIPS

    Entire Article Here

    "For three days, I checked garbage bins, alleys. I even chased some homeless people out of abandoned buildings," the soldier's father said Tuesday. "You can speculate until you're blue in the face. And, Lord knows, I have."

    More than 70 volunteers turned out Tuesday evening to help search for Hornbeck. They walked along streets and alleys peering into bushes, looking in garbage bins and handing out fliers.

    A private search and rescue crew used dogs to pick up Hornbeck's scent in the hotel parking garage but did not find him, said his stepmother, Beth Hornbeck. She said a hotel maintenance worker told her that he thought he saw Hornbeck in the garage the night he went missing.

    Police checks of Robert Hornbeck's cell phone, credit card and bank account records show none have been used since he went missing, said Lt. Mike Wilkins, spokesman for Savannah-Chatham County police.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,330
    Another run away "bride"? I hope not, but better than the alternative.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southern Cal
    Posts
    405
    Maybe post traumatic stress?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellen
    They weren't staying at the hotel. The article says they were staying with relatives. The friend used Robert's cell phone to call Robert's Dad at 3:00 am. He told Robert's Dad that they were lost and asked if he could pick them up at the hotel. The article also says that Robert was mad at the friend for calling his Dad because he didn't want to be "rescued." Sounds like the friend stayed put because he wanted a ride and Robert got mad at the friend and took off and then something happened to him.
    It is sounding like Robert took a "time out" from his life.Especially if he was spotted in Statesboro. He had a lot on his plate...returning from Iraq, getting married and going back to school. The way he said he didn't want to "rescued" resounded to me. As if to say...."I can figure all this out by myself". At least, I truly hope this is the scenario.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    11,071
    I've been wondering if he didn't just take off the moment his friend's back was turned. He was angry at his friend and when his friend spotted the uncle outside of the hotel and went to let him know where they were...Robert might have taken off to show his friend and family that he could get home by himself. Sounds like he had been drinking so maybe he wasn't thinking to straight.

    I've heard now that 3 different people say they saw him in different places on the freeway or highway. I wonder if that is the route to Robert's home?
    I just hope he didn't accept a ride from the wrong people and something happened. Hope he shows up soon.

  12. #12
    Body Found at Savannah Hotel

    Posted: 04/28/06

    Savannah-Chatham police are on the scene investigating after a body was found on the property of the DeSoto Hilton on Liberty Street. The body has not been identified at this point.

    That hotel was the last known location of missing Third ID soldier Robert Hornbeck, who disappeared on Easter Sunday. Hornbeck has since reportedly been sighted alive in other places, including Statesboro, however none of those reports have been confirmed.

    WTOC has crews on the scene and will have more as it becomes available.

    http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.a...32949&nav=0qq6

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    593
    oh no...

    prayers for his family

    and his fiancee.

    (i guess there is a slight chance it isn't him, but i'm guessing it is.)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    220
    I wonder where the body was found. I'm appalled -- it doesn't seem like LE was doing a very good job of searching. I can't believe it's been 12 days and the body is found right where they started! He said he was on the stairs when the Dad called. I wonder if he fell or something (although you'd think that they might have heard that rather than just getting cut off). Such a mystery, and so very sad.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12
    And then his cell phone rang well into the next day. No one heard a cell phone ringing? All very odd. My heart goes out to his family.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. TN TN - Kristina Branum, 17, & Christopher Mittendorf, 21, Savannah, 27 July 2006
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2017, 10:51 AM
  2. GUILTY RI - Savannah Smith, 8, Woonsocket, 7 May 2006
    By cammy-g in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-30-2015, 11:56 AM
  3. TN Kristina Delane Branum (17) - Savannah TN, 2006
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2013, 03:58 AM
  4. NOT GUILTY GA - Ashleigh Moore, 12, Savannah, 18 April 2003
    By johnny in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM