1510 users online (380 members and 1130 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

NV - Freshman Pitcher Dies From Undisclosed Injuries 'Related' to Baseball Program

RENO, Nev. A freshman pitcher for the Nevada Wolf Pack died Tuesday at a Reno hospital after being rushed there the night before with undisclosed injuries, school officials said.

Steve Masten, 18, who starred at Spanish Springs High School in Sparks, was reported in critical condition at Washoe Medical Center earlier Tuesday before he died there later in the day, school officials said.

School spokeswoman Rhonda Lundin said university officials would not discuss any of the details surrounding Masten's death. She referred calls to the Washoe County Sheriff's Office, which did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Nevada coach Gary Powers on Monday said the hospitalization was the result of an "unfortunate incident within the program." But school officials refused to discuss the nature of the incident or the injuries sustained.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193194,00.html

This just sounded weird to me....what could have happened??

Gosh I wonder what happened? It sort of bugs me that they report something like this but don't tell us the whys of what happened ..

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll
    Gosh I wonder what happened? It sort of bugs me that they report something like this but don't tell us the whys of what happened ..
    I know, it almost sounds like something sinister.

Since the article said to contact the sheriffs office, is there a crime involved? Could it be some kind of hate crime, racially motivated, or some kind of hazing?

Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex
    Since the article said to contact the sheriffs office, is there a crime involved? Could it be some kind of hate crime, racially motivated, or some kind of hazing?
    I never thought of that.. Good point.. I'm sure if the sheriffs were involved, there has to be something funny going on... If it were an accidental death, I don't think there would be a need for the sheriffs to be all that involved.. then again, I could be wrong, happens a lot

Here's a link to his bio:
    http://nevadawolfpack.cstv.com/sport...n_steve00.html
    My husband is a college baseball umpire and has many connections. I'll ask him what he's heard.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

He died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound:
    http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...604270341/1018
    I wonder how this constitutes "unfortunate incident within the program"? It doesn't sound like he was cut from the team. So sad.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Gosh, he was so young .

Quote Originally Posted by ljwf22
    He died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound:
    http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...604270341/1018
    I wonder how this constitutes "unfortunate incident within the program"? It doesn't sound like he was cut from the team. So sad.

How sad!! I also don't get the connection within the program. It sounds like he had a bright, bright future.