707 users online (132 members and 575 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TX - Mary Roberson, 83, shot to death by terminally ill husband, 25 April 2006

Elderly man suffering from terminal cancer and has very little time left shot his wife in the torso and then attempted to kill himself but couldn't muster the extra strength.

Apparently, he didn't want to have HER live without HIM. I truly don't think this is a "possessiveness", I think this was love. They were never apart.

I truly don't know how to feel about this. LE says nothing will happen with this. The guy is dying.

I "JOKE" to my hubby that when we're VERY OLD AND GREY.... he needs to accidently drive into a train or vice versa.... because I cannot imagine life without him. But, it's a joke.... if we both grow old, we'll be with eachother soon enough and obviously God has a reason for growing old and having spouses "separate" in death.... there's learning in all.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/3828429.html

Quote Originally Posted by blueclouds
    Elderly man suffering from terminal cancer and has very little time left shot his wife in the torso and then attempted to kill himself but couldn't muster the extra strength.

Apparently, he didn't want to have HER live without HIM. I truly don't think this is a "possessiveness", I think this was love. They were never apart.

I truly don't know how to feel about this. LE says nothing will happen with this. The guy is dying.

I "JOKE" to my hubby that when we're VERY OLD AND GREY.... he needs to accidently drive into a train or vice versa.... because I cannot imagine life without him. But, it's a joke.... if we both grow old, we'll be with eachother soon enough and obviously God has a reason for growing old and having spouses "separate" in death.... there's learning in all.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/3828429.html
    Oh gosh, this so reminds me of a case with a man Named Roswell Gilbert who killed his wife..." Roswell Gilbert, 76 years old, is serving a mandatory 25-year sentence at the Avon Park Correctional Institute in Florida for shooting his wife to death on March 4, 1985. Gilbert said he killed his wife of 51 years as "an act of love" to end her suffering from Alzheimer's disease and osteoporosis. " The circumstances are different here, but I still reminds me of this.

I so believe in Euthanasia under the most APPROPRIATE and agreeable circumstances. IF the person is of sound mind whether through a LIVING WILL or through discussing with several doctors and lawyers that they want to die IF and WHEN the circumstances become TOO terrible and burden the family......

I AM A CURRENT HOSPICE WORKER, some know that here, AND I SEE SO MANY "CATATONIC" state people who are beyond deciding for themselves. I haven't taken on new patients for about 3 months now due to business and such but....

we all have to have a LIVING WILL. PLEASE. I don't care if you're 20. You need to do that for yourself.

Still, undecided on how I feel about this. I just cannot imagine my own hubby who loves me more than his own life doing this out of love......

I most likely think this guy did do it out of selfLESS love. and who knows, maybe his wife asked him to.....

We had this happen a few years ago in the small village we live in. The wife asked the husband to take her life, he died about two days later of cancer. It was very sad and frightening at the same time.

It was sounding a bit bad to me at the start - but it sounds like she was in bad shape too. I'd still feel more comfortable had she and he left notes, to know that she really had wanted this.

The man has brain cancer, which can affect the rational thought processes in a big way. Although it sounds like his wife was far worse off than him, in regard to her ability to take care of herself. We're going to see a lot more of this as the Baby Boomers age without an adequate health care system.

sharpar is offline If dogs dont go to heaven I want to go where they are

Although this is a sad thing, it's still taking someones life from them, no matter what kind of life they have.. It's not our decision to take someone's life... He couldn't shoot himself and yet he found no problem with shooting his wife.. I really don't think he killed her to be mean, I do believe he killed her because he probably figured she is better off that way, but it still isn't his decison to do that..

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

a hop, skip & a jump from Texas Motor Speedway
    This happened here in Dallas - this is one of the saddest stories I've ever heard about.

Apparently he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, has weeks to live and didn't want his wife to know he was dying. She had a stroke and was paralyzed partly on one side so he had been caring for her since her stroke. He knew that once he died she would be put into a nursing home which he didn't want to happen so he killed her.

So sad, I saw him coming out of the jail on the news; he was hanging his head and his daughter was telling him that everything was going to be allright.

Quote Originally Posted by indallas2
    This happened here in Dallas - this is one of the saddest stories I've ever heard about.

Apparently he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, has weeks to live and didn't want his wife to know he was dying. She had a stroke and was paralyzed partly on one side so he had been caring for her since her stroke. He knew that once he died she would be put into a nursing home which he didn't want to happen so he killed her.

So sad, I saw him coming out of the jail on the news; he was hanging his head and his daughter was telling him that everything was going to be allright.
    That's as bad/sad as the mother who killed her sons who were suffering from a horribly denegerative neural disease after they'd gotten so bad they had to be put in a nursing home. Apparently their father had died of the same disease a few years before.

I remember the case that you reference, Billygoat. You could see the love and agony in the lady's face. Her husband had already died of Huntington's disease, one son was in the late horrible stages of the disease, and another son was diagnosed and showing early signs of it too.
    I think the marginally ill son was on TV ( Dateline, 48 Hours, something) with her after she killed the son or sons in the nursing home. Prosecutors argued that she did it to save money on the nursing home care. Did she kill all of her sons or just the one or ones who were already in the nursing home, Billy? Do you remember?
    Huntington's is apparently a horrible way to slowly die.

About the man in Dallas- I have wondered, since he has terminal cancer, why he didn't give them both pain pill overdoses and let them die a peaceful death together?
    Shooting someone to death still has elements of violence to it, but I am sure some people look at it differently, both pro and con. I think he was selfless and took a huge risk, knowing that his life was ending too. I hope very much that he has a loving, supportive family who will help make his last months or days on this earth peaceful. I read that they had been married 68 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
    That's as bad/sad as the mother who killed her sons who were suffering from a horribly denegerative neural disease after they'd gotten so bad they had to be put in a nursing home. Apparently their father had died of the same disease a few years before.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkoflaura
    I remember the case that you reference, Billygoat. You could see the love and agony in the lady's face. Her husband had already died of Huntington's disease, one son was in the late horrible stages of the disease, and another son was diagnosed and showing early signs of it too.
    I think the marginally ill son was on TV ( Dateline, 48 Hours, something) with her after she killed the son or sons in the nursing home. Prosecutors argued that she did it to save money on the nursing home care. Did she kill all of her sons or just the one or ones who were already in the nursing home, Billy? Do you remember?
    Huntington's is apparently a horrible way to slowly die.

About the man in Dallas- I have wondered, since he has terminal cancer, why he didn't give them both pain pill overdoses and let them die a peaceful death together?
    Shooting someone to death still has elements of violence to it, but I am sure some people look at it differently, both pro and con. I think he was selfless and took a huge risk, knowing that his life was ending too. I hope very much that he has a loving, supportive family who will help make his last months or days on this earth peaceful. I read that they had been married 68 years.
    She killed the ones in the nursing home, who had devolved to being incapable of speaking & feeding themselves. I'm not sure but I think they were getting ready to put one or both of them on ventilators/feeding machines. Apparently the sons had begged her to do something to end their suffering if they got that bad back when she was still takin care of them herself.
    She is forbidden by the court from being with her surviving son alone, if memory serves.

I'd hate to be on the jury. I don't think I could "not vote him guilty," but if she had (like someone else suggested), left a note with her wishes, I might have an easier time with it. Sad for everyone involved, including the courts and the prosecutor's office.

Isn't being shot in the torso a bit of a painfull way to go? Did he wait until she was asleep?

It's hard to determine without her around to say so whether he did it out of love or not.

It's just sad if the last thing she saw was her husband unexpectedly pointing a gun at her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I'd hate to be on the jury. I don't think I could "not vote him guilty," but if she had (like someone else suggested), left a note with her wishes, I might have an easier time with it. Sad for everyone involved, including the courts and the prosecutor's office.
    It's a moot point. The man will be dead in a month or two.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast