Ann Rule's site

Voice of Reason

Reaction score
Famous author Ann Rule recently chimed in on the JBR case on her webblog. She sort of goes through a number of different theories and probably doesn't know the details of this case as well as many here do, but it's a somewhat interesting read, nonetheless. It can be found here...

http://www.annrules.com/journal.asp

It is in the last entry on the page, dated April 26, 2006.

Voice of Reason said:
Famous author Ann Rule recently chimed in on the JBR case on her webblog. She sort of goes through a number of different theories and probably doesn't know the details of this case as well as many here do, but it's a somewhat interesting read, nonetheless. It can be found here...

http://www.annrules.com/journal.asp

It is in the last entry on the page, dated April 26, 2006.
I have all her books and check her site often, she is awesome!!

That was interesting. I used to be an avid Ann Rule reader, but I think I overdosed and just stopped buying her books one day. I've spoken to her on the phone a couple times and she is just as nice in reality as she comes across in her journal.

Clearly she isn't a JonBenet follower as she has some facts wrong. I thought about sending her the correct info but then decided it wasn't worth it.

Much as I like her, her "gut feelings" don't carry a lot of weight with me. Her 'gut' also told her that Gary Ridgeway wasn't the Green River Killer.

That was me who had asked Ann in her guestbook (I write there now and then, but not not under the name rashomon) if she thought the Ramseys were guilty. I know that she said she would never want to write a book on the JB case because so much has been written about it already, but told her I still was curious of her private opinion on the case.
I don't think Ann goes by gut feeling there at all; she said that a lot of evidence points to the Ramseys. She also mentions that John Douglas received 20,000 dollars from them, and that she never believed his assessments again after learning that.

rashomon said:
That was me who had asked Ann in her guestbook (I write there now and then, but not not under the name rashomon) if she thought the Ramseys were guilty. I know that she said she would never want to write a book on the JB case because so much has been written about it already, but told her I still was curious of her private opinion on the case.
I don't think Ann goes by gut feeling there at all; she said that a lot of evidence points to the Ramseys. She also mentions that John Douglas reveived 20,000 dollars from them, and that she never believed his assessments again after learning that.
I'm actually kind of sorry she isn't interested in the case but I can understand her reasons. I got the idea she went by her 'gut feeling' because she said "My gut feeling has been that one of the Ramseys killed Jon-Benet [...]"

It's clear from her belief that Jon-Benet (sic) had lots of bladder infections and "scars on her vagina" that she doesn't follow the case and has some facts wrong. Unfortunately some of those 'facts' are what she is drawing on for her opinion.

Douglas returned his initial fee and worked for them pro bono. I wonder how she feels about people like Michael Baden being paid for their expertise?

http://www.webbsleuths.com/cgi-bin/dcf/dcboard.cgi?az=printer_format&om=1270&forum=DCForumID101

"John Douglas: Well, well, I was quite surprised, because I was criticized by most of America when I went out on the case and asked by the, the Ramsey attorneys. And I did an assessment, appeared on your show in January 1997, I did not believe the Ramseys were responsible. Mary Keenan is the new district attorney and she's invited me now to assist in the investigation.

Ann Curry: No conflict for you working for the other side? John Douglas: No. I never got paid, never got paid. I, I do all my work pro bono for victims of violent crime. And, and so I was invited to go out there, and I'm doing assessments along with Detective Lou Smit and others. Because it, it, the intruder theory was just totally ignored by the police and by the, the FBI. The case has been taken away from the Boulder Police, it's being worked out of Mary Keenan's office."

Ann Rule is an excellent writer. I love her books and she goes to great lengths to gather information on the killer/s she is writing about.

If, if this case ever gets resolved, then I definately would hope that Ann Rule would write the book on JonBenet.

My favorite book from her, or shall I say one of my favorites, is Dead by Sunset.....Also the first book of hers I ever read was "Stranger beside me" very chilling.....Then "Small Sacrifices" thats a good one too.......

hmmm..

hopefully if she writes a book on the Ramsey murder she'll get the spelling of the child's name right before she starts :crazy:

Hi Guru
Nice to see you :)

Tipper already pointed that out, about the spelling of JonBenét's name.
It doesn't instill you with confidence when they can't even get her name right.

Spelling is not a indicator of intelligence. Writers write, editors correct spelling errors.

She has said many times she will not write about high profile where there are
lots of other books written about the victim. No mystery

sharpar said:
Spelling is not a indicator of intelligence. Writers write, editors correct spelling errors.

I don't think anyone was saying her error in JonBenet's name was a reflection on Rule's intelligence or gifts as a true crime writer. I DO think its a reflection on her lack of interest in this case and that was why I called attention to it in that particular sentence. I also agree she's not going to write about it although I would buy the book if she did.

sharpar said:

Hear hear. I have to look up my boss's name to see how it's spelt every time I have to write it down. I simply cannot remember it.

I often find that people who have a lot of relevant things to say, often don't place a great deal of importance on little things like spelling and people who fuss over spelling and grammar, rarely have much to say of substance! Kind of like the saying "dull women have immaculate homes" :)

I cant spell for diddley, it just isnt something that comes easily to me and often have to substitute words that I can spell for the ones I would prefer to use. Its aggravating but working on it for decades hasnt helped much.

I personally find Ms Rules book very well researched, the characters are well represented and are more than one dimensional people. Her analysis is in depth and very preceptive . Your comments off of the cuff and written for publication would not garner the same amount of attention / research.
She not only would get her name spelled correctly but have several antedotes about it.

I have been reading her books for many years and was thrilled to hear she
plans to attend the corbin trial. Will be an interesting story.

sharpar said:
I cant spell for diddley, it just isnt something that comes easily to me and often have to substitute words that I can spell for the ones I would prefer to use. Its aggravating but working on it for decades hasnt helped much.

[...].
I think good spellers are born and not made. My oldest is a terrible speller and always has been. We used to spend hours and hours on his spelling lists and even then there was no guarantee he'd remember long enough to pass the tests. My daughter is about average and her twin in a brilliant speller and always has been. In elementary school he would just run his eye down the weekly list of spelling words and know them all. I think its a visual thiing. He sees the word as a shape and if the letters are in the wrong place the shape is wrong. To him, reading something that has a lot of errors is like driving along and hitting a bunch of little speed bumps along the way. It's a distraction from the content.

If dull women have immaculate homes then I must be the most sparkling wit in town! :)

tipper said:
I think good spellers are born and not made. My oldest is a terrible speller and always has been. We used to spend hours and hours on his spelling lists and even then there was no guarantee he'd remember long enough to pass the tests. My daughter is about average and her twin in a brilliant speller and always has been. In elementary school he would just run his eye down the weekly list of spelling words and know them all. I think its a visual thiing. He sees the word as a shape and if the letters are in the wrong place the shape is wrong. To him, reading something that has a lot of errors is like driving along and hitting a bunch of little speed bumps along the way. It's a distraction from the content.

If dull women have immaculate homes then I must be the most sparkling wit in town! :)
Mensa & NASA are looking for me ! :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita
Back