Vermont Mayor planning "sanctuary city" for illegal immigrants

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
I just got home from work and wanted to post this article.
Every night the inmates watch the news.I heard them yelling in the dayroom and this story is that upset them;
Burlington has many homeless and welfare recipients that need to be helped to be productive citizens.The elderly need to be taken care of.The "meals on wheels" program is in dire need of help.It was also on the news that with the gas prices the way they are,if a driver cannot show up,the elderly do not eat.Burlington needs to think of its own sisters and brothers from the fetus to the elderly.

Words from the new Mayor.........
Burlington, Vermont - May 2, 2006

Mayor Bob Kiss wants to see Burlington become a "sanctuary city" to provide a safe place for undocumented immigrants to work and live without fear of deportation.

Demonstrators welcomed the announcement from Burlington's new mayor.

"I hope we can move forward to become a sanctuary city in the United States of America," said Mayor Kiss, a progressive from Burlington.

With an immigration reform protest as his backdrop, Mayor Kiss told supporters he planned to make the Queen City a so-called "sanctuary city," too.

It means a policy could be adopted calling for city employees, including police officers, not to report illegal aliens to the federal authorities.

"If we can help them build a better life I think we should do that," said Mayor Kiss. "It really is at the beginning. But it's timely and issues being discussed across the country encourage us to look at this carefully as well."

more here
read here about the Vt. rally and read article #38 about the legal immigrant pay and benifits

Let's see how he feels when his "sanctuary" becomes a burden on taxpayers. Illegal immigrants need services - like medical care, education, housing, etc. Who does he think is going to pay for that? One just needs to look at Florida to see a state that is over-burdened by illegals.

I'm glad I don't live in Vermont and I am glad this guy isn't my Mayor :bang:

I think I would kiss Mayor Kiss good-bye! :razz:

Must be close for re-election. Can't get legal voters, so I am sure he is looking for the sanc city to vote.....

Masissy said:
Must be close for re-election. Can't get legal voters, so I am sure he is looking for the sanc city to vote.....
I wasn't aware that Illegals could vote.

If that mayor thinks he has seen protests, wonder what would happen if he managed to pull this off. The legal citizens of the town should protest even the idea of such. As for the university and the benefits they provide, what about legals who wish they could have free tuition, etc? Something very wrong with this picture.

Here is a link to our newspaper.If you scroll down the page you will see a poll about this.

When a person votes on the poll a window shows up with the results.

Most of the votes were "no" to making Burlington a sancuary city.

OK,, let's see (if this were to be voted in) how long before all the local skilled tradespeople are out of work, from illegals taking everyone's jobs working for $5 an hour- no lisencing, no liability, no documentation, no proper training, no resume's, no BBB membership, no background checks, no quality control, no nothing. 'cause that's what's happening everywhere else. what a dimwit!!!

reb said:
OK,, let's see (if this were to be voted in) how long before all the local skilled tradespeople are out of work, from illegals taking everyone's jobs working for $5 an hour- no lisencing, no liability, no documentation, no proper training, no resume's, no BBB membership, no background checks, no quality control, no nothing. 'cause that's what's happening everywhere else. what a dimwit!!!
Hi Reb,
Good post.Oh yeah,I forgot to add that he has been Mayor for a little over 5 weeks

Personally, living in Texas, where there are millions of illegal immigrants, I hope they do move a huge chunk of them to Vermont. Then Vermont can see what happens to their school systems, their county hospital budgets, their food stamp budgets, their gangs, etc. There is more than one side to the story of illegal immigrants than just the work they perform for less than stellar wages. There is the small matter of what they do to already over-burdened government payouts in the form of food stamps, free lunches for the children, medical benefits, Medicaid, insurance, etc. And I do believe Vermont would need to annex territory from adjoining states to house them all, but more power to them. But other than that, I think it's a great idea (sarcasm).

I do realize there are some Hispanic families that are paying their own way, but the majority of the ones I see are taking far more benefits than they are giving. At my local school, 97% are receiving free lunches. Few of the parents have automobile insurance, so if you're involved in an accident with one of them, you're SOL. And the problem with Hispanic gangs is more than a little troubling. A visit to our County Hospital on any day of the week would peel your eyes backwards.

HeartofTexas said:
Personally, living in Texas, where there are millions of illegal immigrants, I hope they do move a huge chunk of them to Vermont. Then Vermont can see what happens to their school systems, their county hospital budgets, their food stamp budgets, their gangs, etc. There is more than one side to the story of illegal immigrants than just the work they perform for less than stellar wages. There is the small matter of what they do to already over-burdened government payouts in the form of food stamps, free lunches for the children, medical benefits, Medicaid, insurance, etc. And I do believe Vermont would need to annex territory from adjoining states to house them all, but more power to them. But other than that, I think it's a great idea (sarcasm).

I do realize there are some Hispanic families that are paying their own way, but the majority of the ones I see are taking far more benefits than they are giving. At my local school, 97% are receiving free lunches. Few of the parents have automobile insurance, so if you're involved in an accident with one of them, you're SOL. And the problem with Hispanic gangs is more than a little troubling. A visit to our County Hospital on any day of the week would peel your eyes backwards.
HeartofTexas,:)
Vermont has illegal immigrants and they are not just Hispanic.We have all nationalities.
There are illegals here that are burdening the schools,hospitals,welfare systyem and so on.They engage in identity theft to get welfare,send their children to school,get licences,ruined credit ratings and so on.
We have gangs here and have had them here.Why would anyone think that we do not have them.Our prisons house many gang members from out of state,out of the country,and illegal aliens.There are many here who have not been caught and are residing here or commuting here daily from nearby states.
Operation Community Shield is part of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.A division of Homeland Security.The base is Williston,Vermont At the begining of 2005 670,000 electronic queries were processed.27,500 were made from the tipline.Vermont played a major role in the arrest of violent gang members nationwide.State,Federal and local Law Enforcement use the system.I have to report members from our facility and it is recorded.One of the main groups on the watch here is MS-13 (Mara salratrucha) a Salvadoran based gang.Hispanics are not the only ones who form gangs and they are not the only illegal immigrants in the U.S.
You don't think that would be terrorists come to Vermont.
Here is a woman who was in my unit that was linked to Osama bin Laden.
This was years before the sept.11 attack.
Ironically her birthday was sept.11.

Thank-you for the post HeartofTexas.The mayor of Burlington is not a popular person right now.
I am deeply sorry for what you have to endure in your state.
Much Respect,
dark_shadows

DS, I guess I'm a bit uninformed! How do other illegal immigrants gain entry to the U.S. if it's not by jumping borders? I would think the screening process would keep them out at other entry points. But then, I am assuming after reading your post that I'm wrong on that. I truly didn't realize I was so uninformed.

I'm also sorry to hear that you're having the same problem in Vermont that we're having here in Texas. I've visited your state before and it's probably one of the most beautiful areas of the country that I've ever seen. Perhaps the problem is going on, on a lesser scale, in all parts of the country. I just assumed that the worst problems were in California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas, where we share borders with Mexico.

I'm sure that big ol' fence the President plans on building will keep out about 10 immigrants a year. That should definitely be worth the cost in construction costs and in border patrol. LOL!

Hello there HeartofTexas,:)

I want to thank-you very much for the post.It is appreciated.
Vermont is a beautiful state.I am glad that you had the chance to visit.
Again HeartofTexas,I would like to say again that I am sorry that you have to endure the problems that the illegals bring to your state.Something should have been done alot sooner.I was wondering if the health department noted any spike in diseases brought by the illegals.
We have a warning about an outbreak of whooping cough.
This was reported in june of 2005
From the link;
INVASION USA
[font=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=+2]Whooping cough outbreak linked to illegals[/size][/font]
[font=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=+1]Doctors warn of worst spread of pertussis in 40 years[/size][/font]
This is a link from Texas

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I got hooping cough in early 2005 and let me tell you, it's nothing to mess around with. It took MONTHS to get over, and I've never been totally the same since. My little boy brought it home from school.

Well after Bush's speech last night, I'm thinking that Mayor Kiss better kiss this idea goodbye. :)

dark_shadows said:
quote snipped for space~

INVASION USA
[font=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=+2]Whooping cough outbreak linked to illegals[/size][/font]
[font=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=+1]Doctors warn of worst spread of pertussis in 40 years[/size][/font]
This is a link from Texas

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Thanks for the link in your quote above, dark_shadows. It looks like we Texans aren't just getting whooping cough from Mexico. See the following link I found on the LibertyPost.org site provided by dark_shadows. This is a news video concerning terrorists entering Texas from Mexico recently:

Click here to see news video:

http://www.krgv.com/Video/News/7508
Published: May 17, 2006
Author: Mike Cutler,
Post Date: 2006-05-17 12:12:00 by AuntB
Ping List: *Immigration Issues-Borders*
15 Comments

snip ~~ ....a television news report that apparently was broadcast on May 2, 2006.

Terrorists Caught Crossing Texas Border - KRGV TV, 2 May 2006 - http://www.krgv.com/Video/News/7508 Video: 51 Middle-east terrorists caught in 2005, confirmed by DHS documents. Weapons smuggling, clothing with Arabic military patches found on Texas smuggling route, feds stonewall news media investigators.

Barbara Coe, Chairman of the California Coalition for Immigration Reform forwarded it to me, having received it from a former INS colleague, Steve Merrill, and I believe it is important to not only watch this link but to pass it along to as many people you know.

Here is the link to the thread I found this news video in:
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=141817

Hello Magpie,

Thanks for the post and the link.
Here is something that was yesterday in the ICE page.

news release

may 16,2005

ICE Arrests Five Unauthorized Workers At L.A. Department Of Water And Power
Eight unauthorized employees identified during year-long review of utility's personnel records

spacer.gif
LOS ANGELES – U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents arrested five unauthorized workers employed by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) today, capping a year-long joint review of the utility’s hiring records by ICE and LADWP that resulted in the arrest of eight unauthorized workers overall.

Today’s arrests took place at the utility’s headquarters downtown in coordination with the LADWP’s human resources department. The illegal workers identified during ICE’s investigation held both professional and blue collar positions, ranging from a management analyst and customer service representative to a water sampling technician and a maintenance worker. One of the unauthorized employees was an electrical engineering associate.

The unauthorized workers identified during the review of the LADWP’s nearly 7,000 employee records included foreign nationals from four countries - Ethiopia, Nigeria, El Salvador, and Mexico. All of the unauthorized workers were processed for administrative immigration violations and will be placed in deportation proceedings. ICE may seek to criminally prosecute one of the workers for making a false claim to United States citizenship.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone correct me if I am wrong,don't terrorists want to get water supplies?
The article states that those people had no terrorist ties..............

dark_shadows said:
Hi Reb,
Good post.Oh yeah,I forgot to add that he has been Mayor for a little over 5 weeks
I hope my husband doesn't do anything stupid that will make the papers like this!
:crazy: What was this guy thinking? I agree with you dark...we need to be looking out for our senior citizens. They always seem to get lost in the shuffle! :(

deandaniellws said:
I hope my husband doesn't do anything stupid that will make the papers like this!
:crazy: What was this guy thinking? I agree with you dark...we need to be looking out for our senior citizens. They always seem to get lost in the shuffle! :(

I bet your husband is way too smart to ever get himself into a situation like this mayor did!! :p

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back