Plane crash

michelle said:
http://wjz.com/topstories/topstories_story_122211855.html My DH says that we will NEVER do anything because I will not fly, This is why!!! I know cars crash, But I am soooooo scared to fly.....:eek:

I know it's scary for alot of people but you actually have a higher chance of being in a car accident versus flying. I love flying. Especially take offs and landings.

kato said:
I know it's scary for alot of people but you actually have a higher chance of being in a car accident versus flying. I love flying. Especially take offs and landings.
I know but I am still a :chicken: ......

Well take offs and landing are the usually the cause of a lot of accidents, because things can go wrong.

I much rather fly then drive, not as much traffic up in the sky then on the roads, no drunk drivers also.:)

Well I am :chicken: too! I used to fly all the time, no more. As far as it being safer, I know the statistics show that it is, however, IMO, you have a FAR greater chance of surviving a car accident then you do a plane crash :dance:

kato said:
Oh hell no! (sorry) I hate landings...white knuckles all the way down, and I hold my breath. Take off's I don't mind too much. My kids just sit there and stare at me when we land, in disbelief that mommy is actually afraid of something!

I use to fly all the time, then developed a fear years back. I hadn't flown in 10 years until last summer. We were one of the first to board since we had a small child.....I had tears running down my face as the other passengers were boarding. I told my dh I couldn't do it...I was trying to hide my fear from my kids. I knew though that I needed to get them on a plane or all 3 of them would develop my fears!!! Needless to say, we are boarding again soon to go the Carribean....I looked up the other day and saw the contrail of a plane and started to have a panic attack. I will do it only because it gets us somewhere absolutely beautiful...but I'd drive if we could...LOL!!!

On a side note yesterday when that Continental plane's landing gear was messed up a friend of mine called and her son was on a plane at the Houston airport waiting to take off, but they had to wait for the emergency landing of that other plane. Her son (he's 12 and was on a band trip) kept calling her from his cell phone as he sat on the plane watching out the window that plane in trouble circling the airport. My friend was a nervous wreck knowing her son was scared to take off after seeing all that.....thankfully that other plane landed safely.

I recently found out that my brother will not fly. This seems to be a new found anxiety. He has started having panic attacks in the last 6 or 8 years and now he tells me that he can't ever fly in a plane because he'll have a panic attack on the plane. I really am confused because he is such a macho guy, all full of himself and all. I would like to understand more about this fear of flying so that I could somehow put it in some sort of context that I can relate to my brother. Non-flyers, please help me try to understand....what is it that is scaring you about flying? Is it not being in control of the plane? Is it knowing that there's no way to get out, like claustrophobia or something? Is it feeling that the plane will crash? I really don't understand, but I want to. :confused:

I love the take offs on a plane.. I could do it over and over again.. WEEEEEEEE what a rush.. Landings I like because I'm almost at my destination.. I'd rather not fly but I won't pass up a trip because of it.. I don't like long flights.. 2 hours is ok, anything over that I get antsy... But most of my flights are over 2 hours :(

Planes fly all the time and it's rare for them to crash compared to car accidents.. But when there is a plane crash, it's usually fatal and not all car wrecks are..

I love taking off and used to be cool with landing, since you're getting closer and closer to the ground. But then my boyfriend, who always freaked out over landings, told me why. He reminded me a Delta crash at DFW in the 1980s, where the plane hit a wind shear and crashed on landing.

Now I'm nervous even though wind shear predictions are better now.

When a car crashes it is not guaranteed to fall 2,000 ft and hit the ground.:sick:

I am absolutely TERRIFIED of flying, but I LOVE to travel!
How ironic.

My fear gets worse every year, but it was even bad when I was 18.
Turbulence is the worst!!

TheShadow said:
I recently found out that my brother will not fly. This seems to be a new found anxiety. He has started having panic attacks in the last 6 or 8 years and now he tells me that he can't ever fly in a plane because he'll have a panic attack on the plane. I really am confused because he is such a macho guy, all full of himself and all. I would like to understand more about this fear of flying so that I could somehow put it in some sort of context that I can relate to my brother. Non-flyers, please help me try to understand....what is it that is scaring you about flying? Is it not being in control of the plane? Is it knowing that there's no way to get out, like claustrophobia or something? Is it feeling that the plane will crash? I really don't understand, but I want to. :confused:
It is the knowing that there's no way out...claustrophobia...being trapped on a plane that is going to crash....exactly lol, you got it!

I have to talk to myself (in my head so noone thinks I'm mad :crazy: ) the whole time whilst in the air....and try and concentrate on breathing properly.
Over water is the worst, that's when I really start to panic!

michelle said:
I know but I am still a :chicken: ......
Don't feel bad, so am I.:chicken: We usually take the train (Amtrak) for long distant trips. It's not so bad if you get their Bedroom Suite. It can be very romantic. We went to Vegas that way on our second honeymoon.

I used to fly well, when I was a youngster, even through turbulence. But then I took a trip in a small 4 seater airplane with a family member who was a pilot. It was a bit different in that we weren't as high, not as fast, etc. But when we hit some wind and the plane was bucking around and I could actually see what I was going to smash into if the plane went down, well that changed me forever. I swore I would never fly again. Well in 2001 I had a trip planned to meet up with some friends in Boston, go to a ballgame go partying around Boston, sounded like great fun and I actually tried at one point to book a flight through Travelocity but it didn't go through due to what I later learned was a typo when I entered the billing address for the card. Anyhow, it was a blessing in disquise because my son then had this before school picnic thing he wanted me to take him to and I agreed so I cancelled the trip. I think I was looking for an excuse.... Shortly thereafter 9/11 happened and I've pretty much made up my mind that I will not fly again. I have a friend who wont fly because out of the blue he had a heart attack and it took a long time to get medical attention, he doesn't want to risk dying again just to go on vacation.

I really wish I had not read this thread. I too am afraid to fly, am in D.C. right now and have to fly home tomorrow. I try to always get the name of the pilot and I pray for him and the crew, air traffic controllers and pray for good weather. I suppose that is how I get through it...lots of prayer!:D

Yep, you shouldnt have clicked on this thread spclk lol

That reminds me of myself.... a couple of days before I was due to fly last, I watched that show 'Plane Crash Investigations'.
Not a good idea at all:crazy:

Add me to the no fly list too.........I am the biggest :chicken:
Yesterday watching that plane I was a nervous wreck / I could of hugged the pilot for being so gentle!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back