OR - Parents Jailed, Baby Has 200 Rat Bites

ajc2804

Reaction score
MEDFORD, Ore. A six-month-old boy was bitten by a rat up to 200 times after his parents found the rodent near a creek and it escaped from its cage, police said.

The parents, Robert Horsfall, 21, and Maegan McCleary, 19, were being held Wednesday in the Jackson County Jail on criminal mistreatment allegations.

They took the infant to the emergency room at Rogue Valley Medical Center in Medford early Tuesday, police said.

Detectives said the parents apparently believed the rat was a domestic breed, brought it home and kept it in a cage in the room where they slept with the baby.

more at link:
http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_124002632.html

I guess no one heard the baby screaming all night? Being bitten by a rat has to hurt like hell. That poor baby must have been screaming for hours. :doh: :doh:

Wow... can we say CHILD NEGLECT!! They should be charged!!
Poor little guy !

What'd they do, knock this kid out cold with medication then wipe his face with a strongly scented soup broth or something to make him smell like food? No rat is going to just start biting someone and stay there for 200 bites.

The first screaming and flailing this baby did would of sent the rat running.

Something's wrong with that story.

I have pet rats, they're not wild like this one was though. One is a bit aggressive when it comes to food. If it smells like food then to her.. it is food. I now use unscented soaps to wash my hands, instead of the orange and raspberry scented ones. A test nibble sure, but they certainly aren't going to stand there for 100 to 200 bites!

When the one caught my finger along with the treat by accident a couple weeks ago, I screamed and she drop the treat (and the grip on my finger) and ran into her hiding box.

Something's just not right with that story.

My God, it never ends :(

Poor baby. I hope these parents do not regain custody.

PrayersForMaura said:
My God, it never ends :(

Poor baby. I hope these parents do not regain custody.

It seems like we see a story that abouts tops them all one day, then the next day there are others as bad or worse!

I'm suprized the little guy survived all those bites and the story mentioned infection. He had to have cried out! I just don't get it.

This is just sick!!! I cant believe how STUPID people can be.....

October 2006:

Police said Horsfall found a rat near a creek and put it in a cage in the couple’s apartment, but the cage wouldn’t close tightly. It escaped and bit the baby sleeping with McCleary on a mattress on the floor, police said.

Horsfall and McCleary later tested positive for methamphetamine use. The baby has recovered but may have permanent nerve damage to his fingers, said David Hoppe, deputy district attorney for Jackson County.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/oregon-couple-guilty-in-case-of-rat-biting-infant/

October 2006:

Both were arrested May — after bringing their 6-month-old baby to Rogue Valley Medical Center's emergency room with as many as 200 rat bites on his body, including his face. Horsfall had brought an abandoned but domesticated rat, found near a creek, into the couple's apartment in the 800 block of Ellendale Drive..

Both children remain in protective custody, and their parents haven't "done that great" working with the local child welfare office, said Barbara Northrop, caseworker for Oregon Department of Human Services.

"We have a lot of concern how willing the parents are going to be able to comply with service agreements," Northrop told Circuit Court Judge Bill Purdy.
http://m.mailtribune.com/article/20061026/NEWS/310269995

Bizarre... The only way I can imagine a rat doing that is if it was starving and the baby smelled of food, and the parents would have to be unconscious to not hear the baby's screams.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back