GUILTY UK - Charlie Stopford, a.k.a. Lord Buckingham, revealed as missing American

marylandmissing

Reaction score
Jailed Impostor Using Aristocratic Name May Be a Missing Beatles Fan From Orlando

[size=-1]By Mary Jordan
Washington Post Foreign Service
Saturday, May 6, 2006; A01
[/size]

LONDON, May 5 -- In January last year, a prosperous man with a posh English accent boarded a ferry in Calais, France, for the quick run across the channel to Dover. Immigration officials did a computer check on his passport and discovered something startling: The man's particulars matched those of an infant who had died in August 1963.

He was arrested in Dover on suspicion of false identity. From there his tale grew ever more intriguing: He had passed himself off as Lord Buckingham in British society for close to 20 years, marrying, fathering two children, writing notes on stationery bearing a family coat of arms.

Last October, he pleaded guilty to lying to obtain a passport under a false name. But if he is not Lord Buckingham, who is he? Held in British jail cells for close to a year, he has refused to say.

Now British authorities think they probably have the answer: He is Charlie Stopford, an American from Orlando. Stopford family members in Florida have come forward to say that Charlie disappeared 23 years ago, remembered for his large collection of Beatles records and ability to perfectly mimic British speech.

Really gives meaning to the phrase: The game's up.

sems like they've worked out exactly who he is. i wonder what's to become of him?

imgine for all those years passing as someone else? he must have been fairly certain no one would ever catch him out.

his life has gone up in smoke.

At the time of his arrest, police said, he had been working as an information technology security consultant in Switzerland

:eek:

What harm has the "Earl of Buckingham" done in the last twenty years. He is suspected of "trying to blow up his boss's car, per rumor." Let the man go and live the life he has assumed. His life, other than the rumor, is no different than ours have been.

Actually that isn't true when he disappeared he was wanted in Florida on charges I don't recall..

Think about this Amraann! Twenty years ago this man was accused, but not proven to having tried to blow up his boss's car. (Haven't we all had that thought!)
He than, I feel, left to go to a country that he always cared to live in, married, had children, and played a roll. I for one cannot find fault with that.

Puca said:
Think about this Amraann! Twenty years ago this man was accused, but not proven to having tried to blow up his boss's car. (Haven't we all had that thought!)
He than, I feel, left to go to a country that he always cared to live in, married, had children, and played a roll. I for one cannot find fault with that.

Having thought of blowing up my bosses car is very different then actually doing so. Maybe they haven't been able to prove it but he took off to another country when he became a suspect!! If Scott Peterson had succedded in fleeing the country while he was a suspect in his wifes murder, we'd all have said he must have something to hide and run from!

Was that because he wanted to "Blow up his boss's car, or something worse?

One lost girl! It is time to let the "Earl of buckingham" go free.
He has bocken no law that I obey! That he thought of blowing up his bosses car is one thing. I have in the past thought of "more aggressive things for my boss

What a hoot!
Bung on an accent, give yourself a title and make your way to England :p
Puca, maybe you should consider getting another job :)

Feature article from April 2009:

http://theweek.com/articles/506707/last-word-man-who-erased-himself

Authorities still didn’t know who Buckingham was in November 2005, when he was sentenced to 21 months in prison for lying to obtain a passport. Nor did they know two months later, when he won an appeal that reduced his prison sentence to time served and commended him to the custody of British immigration officials.

Though the press had by then begun chasing clues all over Europe, Buckingham might have remained a cipher indefinitely had his past not intervened. On May 3, 2006, Buckingham’s daughter, Lyndsey, then 19, received an e-mail from a man named Kevin Stopford. The subject line read, “Your father I know him.” Attached was a family photograph showing a younger version of her father, blond and tan, surrounded by brothers and sisters. Stopford directed another e-mail to Sprigg’s unit: “The person who claims to be ‘Christopher Edward Buckingham,’” he wrote, “is known to me as Charles Albert Stopford... I would suggest sending his fingerprints to the United States authorities. You most assuredly will obtain a match”...

I must admit I was surprised to find him in Zurich a year later. I’d thought he was destined to remain marooned in Florida for the rest of his days. Instead, it had taken him less than a year to reassume his fictitious identity.

This time, he was nearly legit. He had legally obtained a U.S. passport under his adopted name, and simply boarded a plane and flown to Zurich. The Swiss raised no fuss at his return.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back