844 users online (99 members and 745 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 year old dies from "accidental hanging"

Why does this sound too bizarre for me to believe it was accidental?

http://www.wndu.com/news/052006/news_49725.php

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

The news link posted above stated, in part:

"It is believed that Josephine did put a sock around her neck, tied it to a hammock, before falling, esentially hanging herself, with her feet still touching the floor"....

This is strange. How does one hang themselves if their feet are still touching the floor?????

Feet touching the floor doesn't mean if she slipped and fell and was scared due to the retraint on her neck that she would think to stand up. She probably panicked and struggled rather then standing up.

I know when my one son was 3 or 4 he got entwined in the blind string and he was sitting on the bed .. he easily could have stood up but that thought did not occur to a 4 Year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    Feet touching the floor doesn't mean if she slipped and fell and was scared due to the retraint on her neck that she would think to stand up. She probably panicked and struggled rather then standing up.

I know when my one son was 3 or 4 he got entwined in the blind string and he was sitting on the bed .. he easily could have stood up but that thought did not occur to a 4 Year old.
    Amraann--I didn't think about that. I just assumed that one would stand, but when you are a little kid and full of fear and panic........POOR BABY! What a beautiful girl she was!

That is soooo scary about your son. There have been MANY instances where young kids have died from mini blind cords. Someone was watching out for him and made sure you became aware of it before it was too late!

Ah .. this is my most likely to do something like that son.

He is now almost 15 .. so back then there wasn't huge warnings about the dangers of the cords.
    Also it was a rented condo so I was limited in what I could do as far as cutting the blind strings..
    I think that is what I actually did. They did not make they neat little safety holders like they do now.

My son is ALWAYS trying to tie stuff and puts it around his neck, I let him have it!!!! I get furious and tell him he cannot do that! My son loves to tie things and then tie something else to the chair and make all kinds of like bungy cords and what not. I have to keep an eye on him all the time. He is too creative it scares me....I can see how this little girl did this though, i am sure she panicked. Poor little baby.......Am, I have heard one to many stories about the blinds hanging kids, that is so scary......
    Last edited by michelle; 05-06-2006 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Tying it to the hammock is what doesn't make any sense to me.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Most of the stuff kids do doesn't make any sense.... except maybe to them.

Something like that happened to my cousin when we were both 9. He put a bath robe belt around his neck and was playing and jumping of his bunk bed and it got caught on the top. It happened pretty quick and his twin brother tried to get help but it was to late. My family still after 20 years refuses to let anyone get bunk beds or put anything remotely around there necks.

This is so sad. I can understand how this could happen. What does make me a little
    suspicous is the fact it was a long soccer sock that was used. That seems like an odd thing to me for a little girl to choose to play dress up with. It also is broad for tying in a knot.

mjak

Also, how many 5-year-olds have the manual dexterity to tie something bulky like a sock into a knot? A lot of them can't even tie their shoelaces!!!

I could see tying a sock around her neck, but to then tie that same sock to a hammock doesn't sound right to me. Even a long sock sounds unreal. I can see her being able to tie a shoestring while looking at it, but the knots in that sock would have to be done without seeing what she was doing. I think she had help.

I have seen kids play "dog" and tie themselves to objects (as if they are dogs on chains). While I have no idea what happened here, some kids do play unusual "games."

That is why the article points out that this little girl was "smart" and "advanced" for her age and that she had been tying knots and shoelaces for over a year.

Most 5 years old are just learning.....it is a shame..that this happened..poor little girl.

My 5-year-old could DEFINITELY tie the types of knots described in this story. In fact, my almost 4-year-old could do a pretty good job at it.

It truly sounds like a tragic accident. My prayers go out to the family of this beautiful little girl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast