5 year old dies from "accidental hanging"

The news link posted above stated, in part:

"It is believed that Josephine did put a sock around her neck, tied it to a hammock, before falling, esentially hanging herself, with her feet still touching the floor"....

This is strange. How does one hang themselves if their feet are still touching the floor?????

Feet touching the floor doesn't mean if she slipped and fell and was scared due to the retraint on her neck that she would think to stand up. She probably panicked and struggled rather then standing up.

I know when my one son was 3 or 4 he got entwined in the blind string and he was sitting on the bed .. he easily could have stood up but that thought did not occur to a 4 Year old.

Amraann said:
Feet touching the floor doesn't mean if she slipped and fell and was scared due to the retraint on her neck that she would think to stand up. She probably panicked and struggled rather then standing up.

I know when my one son was 3 or 4 he got entwined in the blind string and he was sitting on the bed .. he easily could have stood up but that thought did not occur to a 4 Year old.
Amraann--I didn't think about that. I just assumed that one would stand, but when you are a little kid and full of fear and panic........POOR BABY! What a beautiful girl she was!

That is soooo scary about your son. There have been MANY instances where young kids have died from mini blind cords. Someone was watching out for him :angel: and made sure you became aware of it before it was too late!

Ah .. this is my most likely to do something like that son.

He is now almost 15 .. so back then there wasn't huge warnings about the dangers of the cords.
Also it was a rented condo so I was limited in what I could do as far as cutting the blind strings..
I think that is what I actually did. They did not make they neat little safety holders like they do now.

My son is ALWAYS trying to tie stuff and puts it around his neck, I let him have it!!!! I get furious and tell him he cannot do that! My son loves to tie things and then tie something else to the chair and make all kinds of like bungy cords and what not. I have to keep an eye on him all the time. He is too creative it scares me....I can see how this little girl did this though, i am sure she panicked. Poor little baby.......Am, I have heard one to many stories about the blinds hanging kids, that is so scary......

Tying it to the hammock is what doesn't make any sense to me.

Something like that happened to my cousin when we were both 9. He put a bath robe belt around his neck and was playing and jumping of his bunk bed and it got caught on the top. It happened pretty quick and his twin brother tried to get help but it was to late. My family still after 20 years refuses to let anyone get bunk beds or put anything remotely around there necks.

This is so sad. I can understand how this could happen. What does make me a little
suspicous is the fact it was a long soccer sock that was used. That seems like an odd thing to me for a little girl to choose to play dress up with. It also is broad for tying in a knot.

mjak

Also, how many 5-year-olds have the manual dexterity to tie something bulky like a sock into a knot? A lot of them can't even tie their shoelaces!!!

I could see tying a sock around her neck, but to then tie that same sock to a hammock doesn't sound right to me. Even a long sock sounds unreal. I can see her being able to tie a shoestring while looking at it, but the knots in that sock would have to be done without seeing what she was doing. I think she had help.

I have seen kids play "dog" and tie themselves to objects (as if they are dogs on chains). While I have no idea what happened here, some kids do play unusual "games."

That is why the article points out that this little girl was "smart" and "advanced" for her age and that she had been tying knots and shoelaces for over a year.

Most 5 years old are just learning.....it is a shame..that this happened..poor little girl.

My 5-year-old could DEFINITELY tie the types of knots described in this story. In fact, my almost 4-year-old could do a pretty good job at it.

It truly sounds like a tragic accident. My prayers go out to the family of this beautiful little girl.

To knot a sock would be MUCH easier for a child then a shoelace.
The reason Adults would have a problem with a sock is because they have larger hands.
A child on the other hand not only has smaller hands but tying a sock or wide object into a knot would be much easier then say a shoelace because children at that age are still developing their fine muscles (those required to tie a shoe or write) in their hands but there larger muscles are well developed since they have been more practiced from holding bottles etc since they were babies.

Tying it to a hammock still makes zero sense to me, and lets me think there MAY be more to the story. But, maybe not.

Maybe she was playing horse or something and tied the "reins" to keep the horse from getting away.

In the city I work in, we had a similair thing with a young boy. It too was accidental.

My 3 year old son is always trying to wrap things around his neck and I am constanly screaming at him.. At that yougn age, they do not understand the severity.

Bless this little angel!!

Dark Knight said:
Tying it to a hammock still makes zero sense to me, and lets me think there MAY be more to the story. But, maybe not.

DK you don't have children?
Because I can promise you the imagination they have would explain this.
You can't apply adult sense and logic to a child.
No reasonable adult would do this, but a child?
Especially one described like this one... could easily come up with some off the wall idea that no adult is going to understand.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back