Wildfires turn deadly, force evacuation

Shadow205

Reaction score
Firefighters are planning a two-pronged attack today to battle a 1,000-acre brush fire in Volusia County as it continues to char parts of New Smyrna Beach where residents were evacuated Sunday.

Portions of Interstate 95 and State Road 44 in Volusia County remain closed this morning. I-95 in Volusia from County Road 421 and County Road 442 is expected to be closed until at least noon, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
<snip>

Sunday marked one of the worst wildfire days Central Florida has seen in years as the region's dry spell stretched into another day.

The quick-moving Volusia blaze had firefighters from several agencies scrambling to contain it and save homes threatened by the flames. Fast-changing, gusty winds kept steering the fire in different directions, frustrating officials as the inferno grew by hundreds of acres.

"It's been a long day. You feel sort of helpless at times. It's tough to turn it [the fire] around," said Roberts, the city manager for New Smyrna Beach. "We have the kindling there . . ., and it's using it."

At one point late Sunday, officials had to move their temporary command center after the fire came within half a mile of the area on S.R. 44.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/volusia/orl-mvolfire0806may08,0,6657386.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

CRAP!!!!! When I saw this link I almost ignored it then I saw that you posted it and even before I clicked it I new it was Florida.

Shadow!! I should have known! I just called hubby and he was very distracted..
He often gets called to these things because of his fire training in the park service.
I guess I will find out in an hour or so if he has to go.

Damn damn damn.

Amraann said:
CRAP!!!!! When I saw this link I almost ignored it then I saw that you posted it and even before I clicked it I new it was Florida.

Shadow!! I should have known! I just called hubby and he was very distracted..
He often gets called to these things because of his fire training in the park service.
I guess I will find out in an hour or so if he has to go.

Damn damn damn.
Amraann,

I hope that he doesn't have to go but if he does I'll be praying that he returns safely. Did he have to go to Port St Lucie several years ago when it almost burned down? I was right in the middle of that one. Not a good place to be.

Everybody needs to do a rain dance for Florida, they are in trouble down there.

Yes he did .. Back then we lived at JD

He says he isn't going unless they pay over time for it.
Typically they consider it towards his regular hours which just means when he gets back to work he has to catch up on his paper work and work over time anyhow that he doesn't get paid for.

I am in Orlando this week for work. The fires are pretty close tonight.....about 4 extis up I-4 VERY near Sea World. It was just smoldering, but now it's raging and has jumped the interstate. Inf act, the news just said I-4 is completely closed down. This morning when I went to my meetings, it was very smokey outside, but cleared off for an awesome afternoon. The fires are skeerey!

There are predictions of rain over the next several days in central and south florida. Hopefully this will help.
Shutting down I-4 and I 95 is very serious. Thats like closing the doors to the state

Those fires look awfully bad! I'll be praying for rain for Central and South Florida!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back