1253 users online (264 members and 989 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MD - Beltsville, Blk/WhtMale 74UMMD, 25-55, @ Beaver Dam Creek, VW key, Apr'00

Agricultural Research Center Body Still Unidentified

Police Seek Public Help Identifying Man Killed In 2000

POSTED: 5:52 pm EST March 22, 2006
    UPDATED: 6:10 am EST March 23, 2006

WASHINGTON -- U.S. Park Police investigators want help identifying a man found killed six years ago, as well as finding his killer.

His body was discovered on the grounds of the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, which is federal property and makes his death a federal case.

On April 13, 2000, workers from the Agricultural Research Center were doing studies on Beaver Dam Creek when they discovered the body.

"The worker observed something in the creek, thought it was a dead deer," said U.S. Park Police Detective Mike Horman. But it was a man who had been beaten and strangled and left in the water for as many as 30 days.

"Unfortunately, it was so far decomposed that facial features and things like that could not be discerned," Horman said.

Forensic experts used the skull to create a possible likeness.

"From the medical examiner's reports and from the anthropological studies, we believe it is a white male," Horman said. "There has been some indication in those reports that there is a possibility that there is a mixed racial background, possibly African American."

He was 6 feet 4 inches tall and weighed more than 200 pounds. He was wearing a size 48, chestnut tweed L.L. Bean jacket, a green Hanes hooded sweatshirt, a Nike T-shirt, size 36/36 Wrangler blue jeans, and size 13 hiking shoes. He had a set of keys on a three-inch long safety pin, perhaps the kind used at Laurel racetrack.

"I actually brought the safety pin with me and showed it to many of the trainers," Horman said. "They indicated that the pin is actually too large for what they would use that type of safety pin for."

Investigators also have the victim's DNA and fingerprints. The DNA samples and fingerprints were sent to the FBI, and the fingerprints also were sent to state fingerprint databases, but no matches have come up.

"Once we learn who he really was, that's when we can start making contact with his inner circle, people that knew him," Horman said. "It's the starting point of the death investigation to this homicide."

Anyone with information about the man should call U.S. Park Police at (202) 610-8737.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-24-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: title

Beltsville John Doe

This case has been discussed some before on Websleuths, although it did not have its own thread. Click the links below to read more on it.

--------------------------
    Unidentified White Male
    Located on April 13, 2000 in the area of Beaver Dam Creek on the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Maryland.
    Vital Statistics
    Estimated age: 30 - 55 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 6'3"; over 200 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: The victim is possibly mixed with Black. This was determined recently by another anthropologists' work.
    Clothing: He was wearing a green, hooded zip-up sweatshirt, a brown, L.L. Bean winter coat, size XXL, Lee denim jeans 36X36 and brown Original Rugged Outback hiking shoes. A set of keys on a large safety pin and four $1.00 bills were also found in the clothing. One car key was determined to be the key to some type of Volkswagon Vehicle.
    Photos of Victim's Possessions and Artist's rendition of face shown in below link.

Case History
    At 5:30 PM on Thursday April 13, 2000, members of the United States Park Police responded to the area of Beaver Dam Creek on the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center for the report of a dead body. Upon arrival they discovered the decomposed body of an unidentified male in the water.
    An initial determination by the State of Maryland Medical Examiner revealed that the body is believed to have been in the water for up to two months. Evidence of severe blunt force trauma to the head was discovered. Due to advanced decomposition, positive identification of the body was not possible.
    Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this man's identity, please contact:
    United States Park Police
    Criminal Investigations Branch
    Detective Michael Horman
    202-610-8759
    or
    United States Park Police Crime Tip Line
    202-610-8737

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.
    OCA Number: 200010092
    NCIC Number: U-080001476
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source:
    The Doe Network: Case File 74UMMD

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - Unidentified Girl located March 25, 2000 in Clinton, MD

Links:
    http://doenetwork.org/cases/74ummd.html

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...0+Unidentified
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 06-16-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: updated doe network link

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    This case has been discussed some before on Websleuths, although it did not have its own thread. Click the links below to read more on it.

--------------------------
    Unidentified White Male
    Located on April 13, 2000 in the area of Beaver Dam Creek on the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Maryland.
    Vital Statistics
    Estimated age: 30 - 55 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 6'3"; over 200 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: The victim is possibly mixed with Black. This was determined recently by another anthropologists' work.
    Clothing: He was wearing a green, hooded zip-up sweatshirt, a brown, L.L. Bean winter coat, size XXL, Lee denim jeans 36X36 and brown Original Rugged Outback hiking shoes. A set of keys on a large safety pin and four $1.00 bills were also found in the clothing. One car key was determined to be the key to some type of Volkswagon Vehicle.
    Photos of Victim's Possessions and Artist's rendition of face shown in below link.

Case History
    At 5:30 PM on Thursday April 13, 2000, members of the United States Park Police responded to the area of Beaver Dam Creek on the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center for the report of a dead body. Upon arrival they discovered the decomposed body of an unidentified male in the water.
    An initial determination by the State of Maryland Medical Examiner revealed that the body is believed to have been in the water for up to two months. Evidence of severe blunt force trauma to the head was discovered. Due to advanced decomposition, positive identification of the body was not possible.
    Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this man's identity, please contact:
    United States Park Police
    Criminal Investigations Branch
    Detective Michael Horman
    202-610-8759
    or
    United States Park Police Crime Tip Line
    202-610-8737

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.
    OCA Number: 200010092
    NCIC Number: U-080001476
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source:
    The Doe Network: Case File 74UMMD

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - Unidentified Girl located March 25, 2000 in Clinton, MD

Links:
    http://doenetwork.us/cases/74ummd.html

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...0+Unidentified
    Thanks for the link- been waiting for one

Mark Alley??

Could this be Mark Alley..... www.findmarkalley.com

The timeline matches up...but this unidentified seems larger than Mark would have been..although sometimes these descriptions are vague and can be exagerated.

Seven years...

This unsolved case is now seven years old...

MD - UID Male 74UMMD, Beltsville, 2000 to: NC - William Alley, Lexington, 2000

Hello everyone;

I'm a long time fan and avid reader of WS. What do you think of these two as a possible match?

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/ga...hp?A200300128S

and

The dates look right; the weight is a little off, and the coats sound similar. The John Doe MAY be bi-racial, but may not be.

I don't know if this possibility has even been compared before, but thought I'd check here first!

Thanks, and I'm such huge fans of you all *blush*!
    Last edited by Cubby; 04-30-2010 at 01:32 PM.

I don't know whether or not to report it as a tip, or if this has already been done.

Thanks in advance for your advice and for your help.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Welcome numbernine

The possible match with Alley has already been mentioned here (see link below) but I don't know if it's been reported or if LE has already looked into it.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...ght=Mark+Alley

Hello, and thank you for the welcome!

It makes me happy to see that someone else also thinks it could be Mark Alley.

I also have my doubts about his weight; after all, he WAS in the water for awhile.

Thanks again!

Just a quick update...that lead has already been explored by LE and found no connection.

It occurred to me that the key that has been discussed as maybe a vending machine key bears a strong resemblance to the key to my laptop security cable. Just a stray thought.

That's an amazing reconstruction! Maybe the first one I've ever seen that didn't creep me out!
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far. - Joe Walsh

he looks identical to my old upstairs neighbor, whose name is Bill.

Frighteningly similar. Did Mark have any known connection to the state of MI?

Probably nothing, but the resemblance is striking. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of him, probably couldn't post them anyway, so you'll have to take my word for it.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

10 years and still unidentified...

The body of this man was found near Beltsville, MD ten years ago. He remains unidentified.

Here is an updated Doenetwork Link which includes a new artist's conception of what he may have looked like when alive.

I grew up in Greenbelt and use to walk thru the Beltsville Agriculture farms with friends in high school. I am not sure how far in he was. Access to these farms could be taken from old greenbelt back in the mid 80's when I use to go there.

I left Md. in 88' so it is hard to know if those paths are still there.
    Debbie

To catch a criminal, you must think like one. (Professor Hamre)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast