GUILTY VA - Det. Vicky Armel, 40, & Officer Michael Garbarino, 53, die in shootout, May 2006

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Chantilly, Va. - A heavily armed teenager who killed a detective and wounded two officers in a shootout outside a Fairfax County police station had recently been arrested on carjacking charges, officials said Tuesday.

Michael W. Kennedy, 18, was crouched between two vehicles in the station parking lot when he opened fire on the unsuspecting officer Monday afternoon, officials said.

Kennedy, of Centreville, had attempted another carjacking that day and was driving another stolen vehicle just before the attack, officials said. Armel had been headed out from the Sully District Police Station to assist the investigation when she was killed.

Four weeks earlier, Kennedy had been arrested by Fairfax police on a warrant connected to a carjacking in nearby Montgomery County
, Md.

cv_ppl_armelvicky_0506.jpg

Detective Vicky O. Armel According to police reports, a 33-year-old man had been forced from his vehicle by a suspect who claimed to have a gun. Kennedy reportedly surrendered to Fairfax police at one of their district stations and was held on a fugitive warrant charge. He was released after posting a $33,000 bond, court records showed.

Mary Ann Jennings, a Fairfax County police spokeswoman, said that on Monday there was another attempted carjacking and a van was stolen shortly before the officers were attacked. The stolen van was recovered in the police station parking lot.

She said police didn't know "exactly who he (Kennedy) was targeting except to say he was targeting police officers."

Virginia site

In the afternoon of Monday, May 8, a gunman opened fire in the parking lot of the Sully District Police Station killing police detective Vicky Armel and wounding two other officers. Following is information on ways to honor Armel as well as the latest news about the incident.​

Flags at half-staff

As the county mourns the fallen officer, the Fairfax County flag is being flown at half-staff at all county facilities in honor of Armel. In addition, by order of Virginia Gov. Timothy Kaine, the state flag will be flown at half-staff at all public facilities and grounds in Fairfax County. Both flags will remain at half-staff until sunset on the day of her interment.​

news story

Go figure that he had a "MySpace"(click here for link) page.

If you look to the right of the peace sign you with see the word ghost and his profile.His last login was on may 9th 2006.Look good because you can hardly see it on that box.

I read about his death on mydeathspace.com which had a link to his myspace page. He had many friends and the comments posted seemed generally full of surprise at his actions. I read somewhere (?) that he had talked about attacking a police station during his senior year in high school. It's a sad situation all the way around.

cathieq said:
I read about his death on mydeathspace.com which had a link to his myspace page. He had many friends and the comments posted seemed generally full of surprise at his actions. I read somewhere (?) that he had talked about attacking a police station during his senior year in high school. It's a sad situation all the way around.

Here's a link, cathieq:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/09/virginia.shooting.ap/index.html

Apparently his parents had sought psychiatric treatment for him and he was on medication. I only wish they had not bailed him out on the one car jacking arrest....this might not have happened if he had stayed in jail until the trial.

Very tragic case and a waste of precious life.

Thanks for the link. Just look at all the lives his actions have affected. I just can't comprehend his reasoning, though I think he was so mentally ill that he had no reasoning. So then, the psychiatrist/psychologist who thought he could be controled with medication - what was the reasoning behind that? To me, making threats about killing others or "shooting up a police station" is serious cause for alarm. And didn't he escape from a facility or something? How did that happen?

You know it could have easily been us. He could have decided to shoot up a shopping mall or a school or a church. It might have been one of us that walked out into the parking lot...

Gosh, if things like this keep happening I'll probably be the one who needs to be locked up. I'll be too afraid to leave my house...but then someone could break in and....Lord.

VIENNA, Va. A police detective in northern Virginia is being remembered as a hero by colleagues and friends.

Thousands turned out this morning to pay tribute to Vicky Armel, who was shot and killed earlier this week in an ambush on officers outside a police station.

The 18-year-old gunman was shot and killed by police.

Armel's husband Tyler, who is also a police detective, was presented with state and county flags at the service. Afterward, thousands from the community lined the roadway for a procession that went by the police station where a cruiser has been covered in hundreds of flowers, notes and cards.

Armel was buried at a private service in Warrenton, Virginia.

FAIRFAX, Va. A Virginia couple is apologizing for their son's deadly attack on a suburban Washington police station.

The shooter, 18-year-old Michael Kennedy, and one police officer were killed in the May eighth assault on a Fairfax County, Virginia, police station. Kennedy fired more than 70 rounds from a modified assault rifle. A second officer died Wednesday and will be buried Saturday.

news link

click for more info

news link

Although investigators have said they do not believe the Kennedys are criminally responsible for the actions of their son, police are hoping to gain insight from them into the reason for the ambush.

Michael Kennedy fired more than 70 rounds from a modified AK-47 assault rifle in the parking lot of the Sully District station before officers shot and killed him.

Since then, the family has been in seclusion, releasing only faxed statements through their attorney, Richard MacDowell.

Master Police Officer Michael E. Garbarino died Wednesday, eight days after the attack. His funeral is scheduled Saturday at the same church where Detective Vicky O. Armel, who died at the scene, was honored a week earlier.

Friday's statement offers sympathy and regret to the Garbarino family.

The Kennedys are "devastated that this tragedy has caused yet a new dimension of pain and sorrow," the statement reads.

The father of a mentally disturbed teenager who shot and killed two Fairfax County police officers was sentenced to more than three years in prison for illegal weapons possession.

Brian H. Kennedy, 50, of Centreville, pleaded guilty in August to weapons charges in U.S. District Court in Alexandria as part of a plea bargain.

Kennedy admitted that he illegally purchased an AK-47 rifle by failing to disclose on federal background checks that he regularly used marijuana. His son Michael used the AK-47 in the May 2006 attack that killed Detective Vicky Armel and officer Michael Garbarino.

Police shot and killed Michael Kennedy.

Police station gunman's father gets prison term

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah