Bearfoot and pregnant..... Mothers Day gift

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
This creepy little thing is apparently sold out for Mothers Day.
Many though are offended by the "bearfoot and pregnant" slogan.Here is the creepy critter link

vtbear_1894_24239187

[font=arial, helvetica]15" Bear-foot & Pregnant
Any mom-to-be dealing with those middle-of-the-night cravings will get a “kick” out of this Bear. Carrying a two-scoop ice cream cone complete with a pickle on top, she wears boot-cut maternity jeans with prego tummy, a scrunchy headband, and a pink and white maternity baseball top with rhinestone paw prints that says, “bear-foot and pregnant.”

Available in Honey fur only.

Click here for creative card message ideas for this Bear!

Choose accessories for your Bear below.

Catalog Item # K15726

Sorry, this item has sold out!
[/font]

WHy is it offensive??

If your goal is to be home and barefoot and pregnant??

I think those offended never wish to be home with no job and pregnant..
BTW your barefoot because while preg .. your feet swell!!
Being barefoot is nice!!

Amraann said:
WHy is it offensive??

Being barefoot is nice!!
I'm with you Amra. Gotta have too much time on the hands to waste time being offended by this.

Amraann said:
WHy is it offensive??

Being barefoot is nice!!
Hi Amraann,
The feet swelling,is in this article.
teddy bear article

In the article it states why people do not agree with the saying.

"Barefoot and pregnant" is a phrase commonly associated with the idea that women should not work outside the home and should have many children during their child-bearing years

“Our intent is not to imply anything negative whatsoever,” said Badger. “In fact, the whole idea of being barefoot and pregnant does not have the negative meaning that it did before — it’s seen as empowering now, a way to let your hair down and kick your shoes off, and be comfortable.”

I would have loved this as a mother's day gift when I was pregnant.....along with gift cards for pedicures, yummy lotions, etc :D

this is the cutest 'almost mommy' present i have ever seen :)

dark_shadows said:
Hi Amraann,
The feet swelling,is in this article.
teddy bear article

In the article it states why people do not agree with the saying.

"Barefoot and pregnant" is a phrase commonly associated with the idea that women should not work outside the home and should have many children during their child-bearing years

“Our intent is not to imply anything negative whatsoever,” said Badger. “In fact, the whole idea of being barefoot and pregnant does not have the negative meaning that it did before — it’s seen as empowering now, a way to let your hair down and kick your shoes off, and be comfortable.”
I think the statement about the phrase being associated in a bad way is from one mind set..

I just want to know who are all these pissed off women who were in fact barefoot and pregnant???
Because I do not need nor did I when I was barefoot and pregant some body screaming for rights they presumed I needed...
When I was barefoot and pregnant anything I needed and lacked was my own damn fault.
I do not now nor then want someone with some agenda screaming for rights they felt I needed..
In case no one noticed I can scream very well myself. The problem here is that some think that being "barefoot and preg" indicates some submission to a man.
It was a womens lib arguement intoning women who were to dumb to work and therfore home barefoot and pregnant.

In this day and age after equal rights came about and screwed up the world I think many would be happy to be home barefoot and preg rather then working to pay for daycare while they sign prenups...

To each their own, but I've heard this phrase used in a pejorative sense more than once - by guys saying that was where women belong, and the only place they belong.

I don't find it offensive - quite - but it depends a lot on who is giving it and what their intention is. It could be cute, or it could be creepy.

I don't think it's creepy. Their slogan is BEARfoot and pregnant, not BAREfoot and pregnant. I think it's very cute and anyone who is offended by it has a lot of time on their hands in my opinion.

I have come full circle with this and am in total agreement with Amraann. My daughters are 42 and 38 and would have loved a bear like that..as a matter of fact,if they weren't sold out,they would be ordering them. Hell..so would I....reminds me of much happier days.:twocents:

tweedledee said:
I don't think it's creepy. Their slogan is BEARfoot and pregnant, not BAREfoot and pregnant. I think it's very cute and anyone who is offended by it has a lot of time on their hands in my opinion.
tweedledee,
They spell it "bear" instead of "bare",because it is on a bear..They do it alot with their bear slogans......
They have a bear dressed like a cow that says "Udderly in Love",another says "grin and bear it" ..ect.

Amraann said:
I think the statement about the phrase being associated in a bad way is from one mind set..

I just want to know who are all these pissed off women who were in fact barefoot and pregnant???
Because I do not need nor did I when I was barefoot and pregant some body screaming for rights they presumed I needed...
When I was barefoot and pregnant anything I needed and lacked was my own damn fault.
I do not now nor then want someone with some agenda screaming for rights they felt I needed..
In case no one noticed I can scream very well myself. The problem here is that some think that being "barefoot and preg" indicates some submission to a man.
It was a womens lib arguement intoning women who were to dumb to work and therfore home barefoot and pregnant.

In this day and age after equal rights came about and screwed up the world I think many would be happy to be home barefoot and preg rather then working to pay for daycare while they sign prenups...
Hi Amraann,
For the last couple of days that is all we have been hearing about.(I am not one of the ones offended by the phrase,I post all kinds of articles in our news on here.)
I used to sew them at home for extra money.I don't like them,but that is only my opinion.
Thank-you for your post.

Details said:
To each their own, but I've heard this phrase used in a pejorative sense more than once - by guys saying that was where women belong, and the only place they belong.

I don't find it offensive - quite - but it depends a lot on who is giving it and what their intention is. It could be cute, or it could be creepy.
Hi Details,
Thank-you for your post.

That "saying" has been around forever, and the reason it is not used as much today as in "the olden days" is that yes, it is offensive and demeaning to women. Maybe not some women, but the majority that I have come across sees it a "sexist" and "degrading".

Because the term for men is "not bare foot and pregnant and in the kitchen" now is it.

Remember the "olden" days when women "needed" a husband to support them, that their "job" was to take care of hubby and kids and have no life or income of her own, she was subjected to whatever hubby wanted and was submissive to him, her job was to "bare" kids and look after the house and make hubby happy and not "anger" the "man's job by "being" too demanding of him to do things like "mow the law", take the kids to the park etc. No siree.....that was the "womens" job. Only the womens' job..........

Wow I am glad those times have changed.........and women work outside the home, have kids, educations, careers, homes of their own, bank accounts of their own, investments, can go out without "permission" from hubby and can have an "equal" life to that of a man's and still be a Mom.

Talk about a difference between 2006 and the 1950's........

You see in 2006, women have a choice weather to stay home with the kids or return back to work. No one is forcing them to do either, that is called choice. That was not a "choice" in the 1950's, it was expected that once you married, you quit your job and now your "job" was and will forever be that of Mother, wife and maid.

I think it is cute!! People will find any excuse they can to be offended by something... Move on!! If ya don't like it, don't buy it!!

Can someone order me one??? :D

We don't wear shoes in the house so we have a door mat with bear prints on it and it says Bear Feet Welcome.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back