'Paraplegic' Leaps From Wheelchair

bakerprune64

Former Member
Reaction score
..."Authorities said a woman who claimed she was a paraplegic and repeatedly filed claims and lawsuits for noncompliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act was a con artist without any physical limitations."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/12/ap/strange/mainD8HHUCE82.shtml

Dammitt, some people will do anything to get money. I'd be afraid that I angered the God's by faking something like that and then it would come back to bite me in the A$$:razz:

bakerprune64 said:
..."Authorities said a woman who claimed she was a paraplegic and repeatedly filed claims and lawsuits for noncompliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act was a con artist without any physical limitations."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/12/ap/strange/mainD8HHUCE82.shtml

Dammitt, some people will do anything to get money. I'd be afraid that I angered the God's by faking something like that and then it would come back to bite me in the A$$:razz:

I just love the statement in the link, "That's where the great miracle occurred." LOL!

My daughter broke her back and had a closed head injury with a little brain damage last July. She still isn't allowed to rollerblade, but she goes to the rink and walks around the outside edge on the carpet while her friends skate.

The insurance company for the house she fell through the ceiling of refuses to pay medical bills or anything and they are following her around trying to catch her doing something. I understand it's to protect the company from people like this wheelchair woman - but it's awfully freaky for a 14 year old girl to always know there is an adult male stranger with a camera tracking her.

It's a little freaky for me to know, too.

Think of him as your 14-year old's personal security guard. If he's always watching, and something happens to her that he doesn't stop, you can sue the insurance again!

If you don't have a lawyer - you need one. Insurance companies can be very slimy when enough money is at stake.

Thanks - yes, I have one. The thing is, just because he's an insurance guy - doesn't mean he also is a stand up guy. Whose to say he's not a pedophile that just hasn't been caught yet? I'm just paranoid, maybe.

I do have an attorney. Of course, having an attorney is the whole reason Mr. Creepy is following her. So far, he probably has a million hours of footage of her walking around. Has to be the most boring case he's ever worked on. :)

We've gone to Wild Adventures and... didn't ride rides.
She's gone to the skating rink each Friday and... doesn't skate.
She goes to school every day and... takes the wheelchair ramp instead of stairs.

You can't get more boring. :)

I am really sorry that cases like this one cause so many problems for legit case such as yours Glitch. I hope everything works out for your daughter.

Reading about this fraud woman I was struck by how much time and effort she put into the fraud. If only she had taken that energy and tenacity towards something productive who knows what she could have accomplished in her life.

When I lived in NYC there was a guy near Tompkins Square Park in a wheelchair who did not appear to have any legs. He had a cardboard sign around his neck that read "Viet Nam Vet". He would beg until he got up enough money for his junk fix and then nod out in public, usually--then his legs would "miraculously" re-grow( slide out from under him).

Glitchwizard, I'm so sorry for what your daughter is going through. While we all like to blame the big bad insurance companies :D , the reason that the insurance companies require proof before they attempt any sort of settlement at all is the hundreds of thousands of people who "scam" them. There are families after families who make a living out of it. There are people on disability because they have a "lazy left eye." Doesn't stop them from driving or doing anything else that requires vision, but for some reason, they just can't work. The problem of insurance fraud is greater than ya'll might think and its costing us billions of dollars and it also affects those of you (like your daughter) who have legitmate claims.

When the child support officer was listening to me about not having child support in 9 years and the accident and everything, she asked if I had applied for disability. I told her I hadn't. Anyway, she talked me into going and I sat by a lady who literally said "Everyone else I know is on disability, I am here to get my share, too!" Her reasoning was that she was unable to work because she was scared to go outside.

I guess Scotty beamed her into the office then.

GlitchWizard said:
When the child support officer was listening to me about not having child support in 9 years and the accident and everything, she asked if I had applied for disability. I told her I hadn't. Anyway, she talked me into going and I sat by a lady who literally said "Everyone else I know is on disability, I am here to get my share, too!" Her reasoning was that she was unable to work because she was scared to go outside.

I guess Scotty beamed her into the office then.

That doesn't surprise me one bit. Sickens me a little though.

Jeana (DP) said:
That doesn't surprise me one bit. Sickens me a little though.

It is very sickening! I could easily qualify for disability but choose not to. People that spend time and energy scamming the system are disgusting. I was in a car accident 2 years ago and it has been hell. I would never go through this $hit just for the money...no way! I go to trial in a few weeks and I just pray for a fair jury. I don't expect much, my lawyer gets 40% and the Doctors are owed $250,000, I guess we'll see. PI's have been following me for the past six months, I imagine it's quite boring.

I do need to find out more about this Americans with Disabilities act. I have been trying to find a part time job. I am having soooo many problems because I have to wear sneakers. If someone in Corporate America would allow me to wear them, then I could work part time. It's very frustrating.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalloryK
Back