Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 210
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,604

    CO - White River Natl Forest, WhtMale 789UMCO, 35-65, In Tent @Remote Campsite Sep'04

    The case is as cold as the bones, which lay bleaching for perhaps five summers and five winters before the man's remains finally were found in remote underbrush in the White River National Forest.



    The skeleton was found at what appeared to have been the campsite for a well-provisioned sleep among the pines. The man died in a sleeping bag under a domed tent with $620 in cash, 20 packs of Camel cigarettes and a pair of size 9M Timberland brown-and-black hiking boots, but with no identification. There was no sign of foul play.

    "He just didn't leave his name on anything," said Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario.

    The sheriff's office hopes that a possible farewell note addressed to someone called "Lib" might lead to the identification of the skeletal remains discovered nearly two years ago in the drainage of No Name Creek at about 9,700 feet elevation. The site is about 6 miles as the crow flies from Glenwood Springs, but 12 miles by the Transfer Trail out of town.

    "If somebody says, 'I'm going to drive to the mountains of Colorado and kill myself,' they'll kill themselves in their car or park and walk into the forest and kill themselves," Vallario said. "But this case is not like that."

    The man carried currency dated as late as 1999, leading to the conclusion he had been dead for at least five years before his remains were found Sept. 8, 2004.

    His final notes, recently deciphered from a deteriorated notebook found with the skeleton, opens something like this: "I should wait in case my situation here doesn't improve. This may be the end of my journey."

    The pocket-sized, green, spiral notebook has hand-drawn artwork on the cover, including some figures and what may be a cat within a heart.

    After the first weathered page, the next four or five pages are increasingly difficult to interpret, but the message seems to be a request for someone to claim the corpse, cremate it and conduct a service.

    The bones have offered a few clues: The man was white, about 6 feet tall and probably in his late 40s to late 50s. However, the skeleton also showed evidence of arthritis and degeneration in the bones of the neck and back, which would have caused pain while carrying a pack.

    A forensic odontologist's inspection of the teeth provided more clues: The man had extensive dental work, including gold work, crowns, bridges and fillings in almost all his teeth, suggesting the man had money. So far, the leads and tips to the sheriff's office have been dead-ends. The case remains a mystery, the man's identity a needle in a haystack.

    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...678855,00.html
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-30-2013 at 11:31 PM.


  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rle7 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Summers are short here...
    Posts
    2,336

    Exclamation CO - Flat Tops Unidentified Male, died about 1999, Garfield Cty - Sept. 2004 *merged*



    Greetings friends....I am new here....
    my request is for anyone named "LIB" who may know a man who went missing between 1999-2004
    He had several items with him including a green spiral 4"x5" notebook.
    on the cover he drew a heart inside the heart is a cat+ a bell+a cross

    rather than try and explain this to you please look at the two colorado
    newspaper articles about it.
    Post Independent from April 20,2006 article by: Dennis webb
    also you will find an article in the Rocky Mountain News
    from may6,2006
    local section written by Joe Garner
    There is alist of items with him including these:
    reading[wire rimmed glasses]
    sunglasses
    a Sweetwater-water-filtration kit
    20[once a carton?] Camel cigarettes packs
    8-multi colored butane lighters
    pocket sized Battleship game
    "4 in 1" Radio Shack Game
    Silver[Sharper Image] binoculars
    a Bell?[could be cat bell?
    was wearing a black belt[don't know type pf buckle]
    blue backpack
    yellow+green plastic poncho
    brown sleeping bag
    blue hairbrush
    six $100.00
    one$10.00
    one$5.00
    five$1.00
    =620.00.........which in his note he asks "LIB" to use to creamate his remains...in the note in the 4"x5" spiral notebook

    one pair of SIZE 9 M Timberland hiking boots brown& black[shown in gallery at the newspaper site]

    Green Eureka dome tent

    Blue & Black Jansport backpack

    Green camping pillow


    plus other items....which can be seen at the Garfield County police department

    If you have any information,call Garfield County Sheriff's Office,970-945-1377
    Ext.1025

    To call anonymously,call CrimeTips ,970-384-3625

    or email at
    crimetips@garfield-county.com
    I am hoping the word can be passed around and that this man gets a proper
    burial thanks!
    Last edited by Cubby; 01-25-2011 at 09:31 PM.


  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to websurfer For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    131
    This is the Rocky Mountain News article:

    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...678855,00.html

    And this is the Post Independent article:

    http://www.postindependent.com/artic...035/0/ARCHIVES


  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Summers are short here...
    Posts
    2,336

    Thanks! I appreciate your links...I am not a good pc user yet

    Quote Originally Posted by Melly
    This is the Rocky Mountain News article:

    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...678855,00.html

    And this is the Post Independent article:

    http://www.postindependent.com/artic...035/0/ARCHIVES


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to websurfer For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Summers are short here...
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Rle7
    The case is as cold as the bones, which lay bleaching for perhaps five summers and five winters before the man's remains finally were found in remote underbrush in the White River National Forest.



    The skeleton was found at what appeared to have been the campsite for a well-provisioned sleep among the pines. The man died in a sleeping bag under a domed tent with $620 in cash, 20 packs of Camel cigarettes and a pair of size 9M Timberland brown-and-black hiking boots, but with no identification. There was no sign of foul play.

    "He just didn't leave his name on anything," said Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario.

    The sheriff's office hopes that a possible farewell note addressed to someone called "Lib" might lead to the identification of the skeletal remains discovered nearly two years ago in the drainage of No Name Creek at about 9,700 feet elevation. The site is about 6 miles as the crow flies from Glenwood Springs, but 12 miles by the Transfer Trail out of town.

    "If somebody says, 'I'm going to drive to the mountains of Colorado and kill myself,' they'll kill themselves in their car or park and walk into the forest and kill themselves," Vallario said. "But this case is not like that."

    The man carried currency dated as late as 1999, leading to the conclusion he had been dead for at least five years before his remains were found Sept. 8, 2004.

    His final notes, recently deciphered from a deteriorated notebook found with the skeleton, opens something like this: "I should wait in case my situation here doesn't improve. This may be the end of my journey."

    The pocket-sized, green, spiral notebook has hand-drawn artwork on the cover, including some figures and what may be a cat within a heart.

    After the first weathered page, the next four or five pages are increasingly difficult to interpret, but the message seems to be a request for someone to claim the corpse, cremate it and conduct a service.

    The bones have offered a few clues: The man was white, about 6 feet tall and probably in his late 40s to late 50s. However, the skeleton also showed evidence of arthritis and degeneration in the bones of the neck and back, which would have caused pain while carrying a pack.

    A forensic odontologist's inspection of the teeth provided more clues: The man had extensive dental work, including gold work, crowns, bridges and fillings in almost all his teeth, suggesting the man had money. So far, the leads and tips to the sheriff's office have been dead-ends. The case remains a mystery, the man's identity a needle in a haystack.

    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...678855,00.html
    thank you..I am researching this case...also still no leads...


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to websurfer For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    131
    No problem.


  11. #7
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,985
    This a very interesting case. Apparently there were no missing persons reports that fit this man....sad. I hope someone is able to find Lib.


  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewingDeb For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,266

    the notebook/diary

    The UID's notebook/diary could be a big clue as to who he is if a website had a bigger image and closeup of his diary- a photographed excerpt could be much help as someone could possibly identify his handwriting- depending what shape the diary is in now to possibly do that as the diary could possibly be too aged to try and do that because of how long it would have been sitting out in weather along with the body...


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to outofthedark For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,980

    CO - Flat Tops Unidentified Male, died about 1999, Garfield County - Sept. 2004

    Here is a recently posted story about an unknown camper found by hunters some five years or so after his death... It is more recent than the "Mr. Bones" case of Bedford, PA. Maybe this one can be solved.
    --------------------------------------
    Unidentified White Male
    The victim was discovered on September 8, 2004 in the Flat Tops, Garfield County, Colorado
    Estimated Date of Death: No longer than 5 years prior to discovery
    Skeletal remains
    Vital Statistics

    Estimated age: Late 40s to late 50s, but could have been anywhere from 35 to 65.
    Approximate Height and Weight: 6'0"
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Forensic examiners say he suffered some discomfort from degeneration in his back and neck.

    Possessions: Among other evidence found there were a map of the Flat Tops, numerous packs of Camel cigarettes, a lighter, whistle, bell and some pepper spray.

    Other: A pocket-sized, spiral notebook with a green cover with hand-drawn artwork depicting a heart and some figures inside the heart, including what appears to be a cat.

    A letter in a recovered page in the notebook starts out with "Dear Lib," possibly a nickname. "I should write in case my situation doesn't improve. This may be the end of my journey," the note continues. While increasingly difficult to read, it apparently goes on to ask someone to claim the man's body, and then makes a reference to services and cremation.

    Case History

    The victim was located September 8, 2004, by bow hunters in a remote area north of Glenwood Springs.
    The skeleton revealed no cause of death and the sheriff's office has been assuming it probably was natural.

    The man was found in a tent in a wooded, remote location. His trousers had rotted away, but the date of currency found at his campsite indicates he apparently had been there no longer than five years.

    The letter leaves open the possibility the man was suicidal, although there is no reason to believe he killed himself. Perhaps he was terminally ill and chose to take his life. The man also could have succumbed to unexpected illness or injury while on an outing in the Flat Tops.

    Investigators
    If you have any information about this case please contact:
    Garfield County sheriffs Office

    Source Information:
    Glenwood Springs Post Independent
    The Doe Network Case File 789UMCO

    Link:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/


  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,980
    Bumping case up.


  18. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kentucky (duh)
    Posts
    441
    This one really makes me hope that a forensic anthropologist report was more thoroughly explained. It would be very unlikely to me that a person with "degenerative" issues in his back would be likely to go out that far into the wilderness without realizing that he would be in more pain than anything. He must not have expected to live out this event, because a smoker would take about a month to go through those 20 packs of Camels. (This is my mom's usage -- I am not a smoker.) The packs look like the ones they did around 2000 or '01 when they did "retro". But the pic isn't all that great (and neither is the condition of the pack).

    When one looks at a map of the area, you can tell pretty quick that only a rather healthy person would be able to sustain themselves very long up in those mountains. The terrain goes from about 7600 feet to over 10,000 feet in the wilderness area. Thus, he didn't get that far into the area's more scenic routes.

    I would think that if he had some sort of serious degenerative disease in his back, that he would have had to have seen a doctor. Especially since it seems like he had some other sort of issue as well that more than likely killed him and not his back. And perhaps, "Lib" knows this and is looking for him to return. I wonder why she has not come forward.

    This is also one of those times that I wish Doe or Charley project was a little better about dealing with age or something other than gender. This one seems like there are so many clues to it that it should be solved.


  19. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    505
    Wow yesterday I was going through the missing and found this guy http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/n/nash_michael.html

    and saw this Unidentified you were talking about.. I turned it in.. probably not the same person... But the Missing guy's dissapearance is VERY weird.. Like he left on his own.. but made up an excuse before he went.. I think both stories are so interesting!


  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Babyslims For This Useful Post:


  21. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,980

    Unhappy Camper

    It would seem that this man was at least somewhat experienced in Wilderness hiking and camping. He had a tent and was comfortable in it - brought his ciggarettes and lighter. The whistle may have been part of his survival gear - used for signalling or calling for help.

    The bells and pepper spray were probably carried because he was aware of how to survive in bear country. Bells worn on clothing, give bears a warning that you are coming and they have a chance to get out of your way. The pepper spray is used in case they don't.

    His writing might indicate that he was planning suicide, or it could also be that he was terminally ill and wanted to die out in the wilderness rather than in a hospital or home. It is also possible that he simply went for his hike and fell ill or had a heart attack while alone. His note could have been about that as well - but probably would have been more specific about his symptoms.


  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  23. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    115

    Unidentified

    This stricks my heart as so sad. I wonder if he might have been Indian and went off to die by himself. I met a full blooded Cherokee indian man some years ago that said the Federal government came looking for his father because they owned more land than they were supposed to. He told them he didn't know where his father was and I took that to mean his father had gone off to die but as usual, it was one of those questions I should have asked and didn't. I wonder if his camping gear could be traced. Maybe he bought it all at the same time at the same store. I thought he might have charged it but then with the amount of money he had on hand he probably paid cash for it so I dropped that idea. Was he from the local area? I also wonder if he was trying to say, drop his ashes from a glider if Lib choose that option and also if he might have been saying, Eyes or ears are going. So many questions. Would the case be it would cost too much money to find out his race and try to trace all these items?


  24. The Following User Says Thank You to ShurlT For This Useful Post:


  25. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Posts
    1,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    or it could also be that he was terminally ill and wanted to die out in the wilderness rather than in a hospital or home.
    That's the impression it left me, the diminishing clarity of his writing would lead to believe he was fading away from an unspecified terminal condition. However his notes could also indicate he was a dying outdoorsman who wanted to go out in the wilderness one last time but overexerted himself in the process, and couldn't make it back. In any case, he knew he was dying but it doesn't feel like suicide, more like resignation in the face of the inevitable.


  26. The Following User Says Thank You to KarlK For This Useful Post:

    GGE

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 02:29 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2014, 10:47 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2010, 02:38 AM
  4. IN IN - White River - Male, 1886
    By PFF in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 08:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •