772 users online (62 members and 710 guests)  

Websleuths News

Teenager competes in surf meet 10 weeks after losing arm in shark attack

KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii (AP) - Teen surfer Bethany Hamilton returned to competition Saturday, just 10 weeks after losing her left arm in a shark attack.

The 13-year-old Hamilton placed fifth in her age group in the Open Women Division of a National Scholastic Surfing Association meet at Banyans.

"It was definitely a good start," Hamilton said.

It was Hamilton's first meet since the weekend before she was attacked Oct. 31, although she returned to the water Thanksgiving Day.

Hamilton began with a modest two-foot wave, but caught a six-footer during her quarter-final heat. She kicked her left leg to help propel her 6-foot-2 surfboard into waves, and occasionally struggled when pushing off the board with one hand.

Full story from cnews

Thumbs up Bethany Hamilton

Now that is a girl that has more courage than I have. I was born and raised on the Maine coast and a summer day was not complete without a swim in the ocean. Never gave sharks a thought! ( Oh youth! I think that "jaws" was born there, before his parents sent him to Cape Cod to harrass the islanders.)
    Here is a little trivia. 50% of ALL shark attacks in the WORLD occur in Fla.
    Rambling again! More power to you Bethany!!!!!

'Keeping muscles alive is what I need to do!' Bethany Hamilton reveals her pregnancy workout... which includes surfing for five hours a day

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz3UUhiCAz0

Good for her! Here's hoping for a healthy baby!
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.