1543 users online (277 members and 1266 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    How interesting Coldcaseman. Websleuths often draws people of note, but to talk to an investigator, well that is almost my idea of heaven!~ Note I said almost .

You said you think he went through Meridian to his destination. He doesn't appear to be an indigent or homeless person so possibly was an average citizen with a family and job. He then could have access to a computer and maybe picked his destination off the internet.

Lake Quinailt would be perfect as it is remote but accessible by bus and not too busy for a resort area by the Lake. And if it was the Amanda Park Motel and RV Park where he stayed, it is not far from 101 so he could walk there.

Were his shoes clean and neat and his clothing not tattered or well worn and dirty? Interesting many come to Gray's Harbor County to end their lives.

I will go to your site and read - with relish. Sounds like you were a great investigator, and bet they really miss having you around!

Scandi

Also I have a hard time thinking of him as Mexican or Latino because he is way taller than the average guy with that heritage. Hispanic, samd thing.
    "Lyle" is also much taller than the average height of Native American men- therefore- making that possibility of him being Native slim.

Concerning his autopsy photos- on the second one where the side of his face is photographed, there appears to be a dark freckle on the side of his face- I have the same type of freckles so to me that's what it looks like. Also on the 1st photo showing his face, there appears to be what might be stubble on his chin- which oddly isn't seen in the other photo

Another website gives his estimated age as 25 years old

Hope you don't mind Coldcaseman, but I brought back a link so everyone can read this article right away:

http://www.thedailyworld.com/article...ews/01news.txt

A wonderful testiment to you, and also nice to see your pic. I like your style of hat, shades of Sherlock, and from reading the other article about your retirement I can see how that fits! The Sheriff's Dept certainly appreciated all of your hard work and abilities and it is a given the man who walks in your shoes will have to be as diligent to fill them.

I always loved Montesano. I often stopped there on my way down to Aberdeen. A nice little town. Gee, that was back in the late 70's. How time does fly! LOL Once when I was driving a bit east of Montesano after dark, a deer ran out into the road in front of me and stood then paralyzed with fear with those big round eyes staring directly at me. My heart skipped many beats, but I was able to stop my car to avoid hitting her. Thankfully!

Scandi

He has some sparse stubble, but had shaved within a few days. The age of 25 is an educated guess. He was at least 20, due to his dentition. His clothes and boots were in very good shape. Very clean and not damaged or worn. I could tell he had worn the belt for along time, as all of the belts notches had been used, as though he was losing weight, and kept tightening his belt. His clothing wasn't soiled from wearing a long time. I believe he discarded his belongings before he reached the motel, or in another dumpster besides the motels. The clerk thought he might have had a backpack, but wasn't sure. It's interesting that he asked to change his room, as the first one is next to a trailer park, and there was alot of noise. He took the bed spread off of the bed and draped it over the window curtain to insure no light would leak out. I've worked many suicides, but I've never had one who made sure his bill was paid. Suicide is a very selfish act, where the person is mostly thinking about themselves.

Yes, that is a small mole on the left side of his chin. That, plus the fact that he doesn't have ear lobes (the photos don't show that) makes it easy to go through photos of missing persons.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcaseman
    He has some sparse stubble, but had shaved within a few days. The age of 25 is an educated guess. He was at least 20, due to his dentition. His clothes and boots were in very good shape. Very clean and not damaged or worn. I could tell he had worn the belt for along time, as all of the belts notches had been used, as though he was losing weight, and kept tightening his belt. His clothing wasn't soiled from wearing a long time. I believe he discarded his belongings before he reached the motel, or in another dumpster besides the motels. The clerk thought he might have had a backpack, but wasn't sure. It's interesting that he asked to change his room, as the first one is next to a trailer park, and there was alot of noise. He took the bed spread off of the bed and draped it over the window curtain to insure no light would leak out. I've worked many suicides, but I've never had one who made sure his bill was paid. Suicide is a very selfish act, where the person is mostly thinking about themselves.
    I first thought that he wanted to change his room noise-wise because he probably thought that people would hear him while he hung himself on the coat rack

I'm quite suprised by the fact that his clothing wasn't soiled!!

Was he wearing anything else aside from what was listed on the web?

Have you checked any possible matches against him?

No, just his underwear. He was in a unit on the end of the motel, and they moved him closer to the middle. There weren't many people checked in, and none of them remembered him. It was noisy in the first unit. I checked every web site I could find on missing persons to compare pictures. That doesn't mean I missed him in one of those. It was wierd that his clothes were clean, he was clean, and he took care of his teeth.

One thing that strikes me about this case is the date - four days after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. I know that the frequency of suicides usually have a small spike in the aftermath of tragic events (I recall a small number of suicides immediately after the murder of John Lennon that were "linked" to his death). I do not believe that someone who is stable would kill themselves as a result of such an event, but someone teetering on the edge may be pushed over by such a tragedy.

(I have not reviewed the whole threads concerning this case - please excuse me if this has already been covered.)
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

Yes, that is a small mole on the left side of his chin. That, plus the fact that he doesn't have ear lobes (the photos don't show that) makes it easy to go through photos of missing persons.
    I used to think that it was either a pimple or a mole- but most of the time I thought it was a mole.

Well I think we have made great headway today, learning about Lyle and his investigation, at least I have.

Now I'm wondering why a guy would be missing his ear lobes? Hmmmm Could it be involved in a ritual of some sort? I showed a guy who is a Chicano and part Aztec his 2 photos, and he thinks he looks quite Native American. Especially in the side view, but both pics. Very high cheekbones, square jaw and that hump on the nose.

Right now I'm thinking that might be an angle to attack, to see what tribe he is from. He also could have some white in him which is where his height came from. He had a good bringing up as shown by his habits.

Nitey Nite guys Scandi

book and sign-in info

I looked up some info on the book that his false name was taken from and I learned that, yes, the name (with a spelling change of dropping a "c") came from the book. The address used, Meridian, might be found in some copies of the book as one of the names of the publisher "Plume, Meridian, and Dutton".
    (Amazon.com allows word search of the book text to see if certain words were used in it.) Interestingly, neither the number used in the address nor the State name, "Idaho", showed up in the Amazon search. I wonder if the name of the hotel at that address was mentioned in the book? Or was it coincidence and maybe "South Progress" was a sardonic comment on his life? Then I also wonder where the address number came from (if it was a false address just made up.)

Was he just able to think fast enough on his feet to come up with the name & address to use to sign in at the spur of the moment or was this planned in advance and everything had some ironic twist from his point of view?

The amazon search of the book text also turned up this partial quote:
    on Page 400:
    "... few months and probably "suicide" would be named as the cause- there'd be a note somewhere, a safety deposit box. Why not think flying saucers ..."

I think I need to obtain and read a copy of the book for myself. That may take me a few days to accomplish with my schedule.

Edited to add:
    I would like to know if the book was checked with a black light to see if it was a used book or a new one. I know some used book stores stamp a mark on the book (sometimes on the inside cover or first page) that only shows up under blacklight. Just a thought.
    Last edited by docwho3; 09-27-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scandi
    Well I think we have made great headway today, learning about Lyle and his investigation, at least I have.

Now I'm wondering why a guy would be missing his ear lobes? Hmmmm Could it be involved in a ritual of some sort? I showed a guy who is a Chicano and part Aztec his 2 photos, and he thinks he looks quite Native American. Especially in the side view, but both pics. Very high cheekbones, square jaw and that hump on the nose.

Right now I'm thinking that might be an angle to attack, to see what tribe he is from. He also could have some white in him which is where his height came from. He had a good bringing up as shown by his habits.

Nitey Nite guys Scandi
    I actually thought he could be Biracial given his height and eye color. As for the earlobes, he could have lost them in a freak accident by some sorts- I don't know

Interesting. I did some Googling and found out that being born without earlobes is a rare, recessive genetic trait. For example, one site said that Wilbur Wright had this trait.

He doesn't look like he had any other obvious deformities that would be associated with a congential problem like microtia ("little ear") or other birth defects. I wonder if he had any problems with hearing that is associated with these disorders?

It would be unusual (IMO) to have an accident that destroyed the earlobes bilaterally without doing other significant damage to the ears/face. If the had been in an accident and had reconstructive surgery, it seems to be standard practice to fix the lobes as well as the rest of the external ear. So I'm leaning towards genetics on this, which is quite interesting.

I'm sorry, I didn't explain the term "missing ear lobes". They weren't removed, he never had them. Most people have lobes that droop (and seem to droop more when you get old!) A few people have no "lobe", which would make it tough to wear earrings. There was no book recovered, I found the connection to the book through a Google search. I bought the book through Amazon. I always felt Lyle was from a middle-upper income family. No signs he was involved in manual labor, no injuries, well read, articulate, clean, took care of his appearance, etc. I'm not saying that people from lower incomes don't have those traits, that was my impression.

coldcaseman

Yes, I was the one that worked the scene. He used his leather belt, and it was fashioned similar to the one depicted in stevens story. He had placed a washcloth between the belt and his neck, to make it more comfortable. He then bend down, and his knees were almost touching the floor. Everything was consistant with suicide. Lividity was consistant with suspension hanging. There was no swelling on his face. The eye appears swollen due to my attempt to open his eyes and make him look "alive". All of his clothing were brands found in North America. I found nothing foreign. Another point that wasn't in the flier was that the $20 bills he left for the room were crisp, as though he had just gotten them from a bank. There is no bank nearby. As for Meridian Idaho, I sent his photos to the Meridian Police Department. They showed them to the employees, and no one recognized him. Neither did the Police. I'm thinking that he stopped there on his way through. I did a nationwide search for Lyle Stevik. I did find a Lyle Stevick in Oregon, who was still alive and well. I spent many hours on this case, even though there was no crime committed. Even though I believe that he has notified his family that there was no need to look for him, I want to be sure. He is buried in an unmarked grave at Fern Hill cemetary in Aberdeen, and that is not right.

Lyle looks Native American, Alaskan Native or Canadian Aboriginal to me.

I'm curious, did Lyle have any suntan marks on his body? You mentioned Lyle didn't appear to do physical labor, what did you base that on? Were his hands smooth instead of calloused?

The new $20 bills is interesting. Maybe he did come from Canada or through Canada with Canadian money and went to the bank to exchange it? He also could have taken a ferry from Alaska or Vancouver Island to Washington.

Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast