999 users online (189 members and 810 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 863
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    190
    I could find no callouses on his hands, or scrapes or scars. Fingernails weren't chipped or broken, and no indications of a manicure. No tan lines either. During the time he spent there, he purchased a copy of the local newspaper, and probably some food (although no one recalled seeing him). I located some change in the drawer of the desk in the room. He had paid for one night, but when the maid came by the next day, he told the maid that he was staying a few more days. I think he was finishing up some loose ends, writing a letter, etc. I think he had been dead about 24 hours when we found him.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    106
    I am sure many of you have seen this before but there is another picture of him at this site. I find it gives you a better perspective of what he looked like.

    http://www.find-missing-children.org/

    It is about 1/3 down the unidentified section.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by coldcaseman
    I could find no callouses on his hands, or scrapes or scars. Fingernails weren't chipped or broken, and no indications of a manicure. No tan lines either. During the time he spent there, he purchased a copy of the local newspaper, and probably some food (although no one recalled seeing him). I located some change in the drawer of the desk in the room. He had paid for one night, but when the maid came by the next day, he told the maid that he was staying a few more days. I think he was finishing up some loose ends, writing a letter, etc. I think he had been dead about 24 hours when we found him.
    I wonder if he got the food from the hotel if no one recalled ever seeing him purchase any food- I wonder what he might have eaten though...

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    190
    There was no place to eat at the motel, but there are places nearby. I don't recall anything being in his stomach at the autopsy. There was no wrappers from anything he might have purchased in his trash can. He took whatever change he had in his pocket, and put it in a desk drawer. After he wrote the note "for the room" he put the cap on the pen, and put the pen in his right front pants pocket. Habits. You're not even aware you're doing them.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by coldcaseman
    There was no place to eat at the motel, but there are places nearby. I don't recall anything being in his stomach at the autopsy. There was no wrappers from anything he might have purchased in his trash can. He took whatever change he had in his pocket, and put it in a desk drawer. After he wrote the note "for the room" he put the cap on the pen, and put the pen in his right front pants pocket. Habits. You're not even aware you're doing them.
    Thanks!!

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,228
    That's funny Annemc. as I did the same type research by Googling and also found out it is a genetic condition that causes this and happens at a certain stage of development.

    Today I've been trying to figure out how to distinguish between Native American Indians as far as facial characteristics, with not much luck so far. I did come upon this study thought which is interesting in that one of the ways to distinguish if one has indian ancestry is large heavy earlobes. And I did read somewhere yesterday that often indians have a problem with hair growing on their earlobes! Anyhoo, here it is:

    http://www.weyanoke.org/pdf/Clues_to...%20earlobes%22


    Scandi

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,284
    Great info there

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,228
    Am running out the door, but just have to say this is one of the most interesting topics I've studied about since I came to WS over 3 years ago.

    It is something personal about it I guess, in that I know Quinalt Lake and have been to the Lodge - it is incredible - and we are talking with the investigator who opened Lyle's eyelids for his photograph so he could be ID'ed. Then he put his soal into working to that end ever since he found him that day. Pretty special if you ask me, as Coldcaseman conveys a total attitude about Lyle that has his 30 years of investigating behind it.

    I think there must be certain characteristics that are particular to American Indians by their sect {? I know it is not tribe, but maybe classification of Navaho, Seminole, etc.}. I have had trouble even Googling this type of info. There is an atlas of different American Indians, and that might really help to look at photos.

    Has anyone noticed his forehead? In the straight on photo it looks like it has some undulation to it. Not nobs of bone, but not pure curved bone that is smooth. I don't see that in the profile shots for some reason, so it could be shadowing.


    Driving home awhile ago I stopped to let a guy cross an area, and he was very skinny and tall - over 6". I immediately thought about Lyle and from his photos it is hard to imagine him being so tall.

    I also looked at the sight 'Find Missing Children, and thanks Ryno for that , and ran through all of them to get a bearing for missing young adults. I was struck how I found Lyle quite unique among the group of say 30 missing people. He just stood out vividly to me. One thing, he does look very sad in his photos.

    Poor guy, wish I could have talked to him before he did this to himself.


    Scandi

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyno1974
    I am sure many of you have seen this before but there is another picture of him at this site. I find it gives you a better perspective of what he looked like.

    http://www.find-missing-children.org/

    It is about 1/3 down the unidentified section.

    Thanks for the link, rhyno, and welcome to websleuths. At least we can see the opposite (right) side of his face.

    I noticed the site said he used an assumed name, how does anyone know that? There are Stevik's in the lower US, Alaska, and Canada. Personally, I'm going to try to eliminate the possibility he used his real name, if nothing else than he wanted the correct name on his grave.

    Rhyno, do you have any personal thoughts about Lyle's case?

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by scandi
    That's funny Annemc. as I did the same type research by Googling and also found out it is a genetic condition that causes this and happens at a certain stage of development.

    Today I've been trying to figure out how to distinguish between Native American Indians as far as facial characteristics, with not much luck so far. I did come upon this study thought which is interesting in that one of the ways to distinguish if one has indian ancestry is large heavy earlobes. And I did read somewhere yesterday that often indians have a problem with hair growing on their earlobes! Anyhoo, here it is:

    http://www.weyanoke.org/pdf/Clues_to...%20earlobes%22


    Scandi

    Woohoo, Scandi, nice to see your imput here!

    Sorry I can't read a PDF file with my cheap webtv, but with a last name Stevik, Lyle is mixed parentage so the earlobes may not apply.

    The hazel eye color is common in mixed blood people, hispanic, Spanish, Porte Rican, Native American, etc..
    I'm Sioux and Irish and I have hazel colored eyes, too, so does my daughter. My eyes were dark brown until I was about six, then they turned color. My son's eyes are blue!


  11. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    190
    Concerning the shape of the skull, Native American and Asian skulls are very similar (high cheek bones, etc.) and I believe that Lyle is at least part Native American. While I was with the Sheriffs Department, I checked the name Lyle Stevik through a variety of web sites and sources with no luck. That's not to say their isn't a Lyle Stevik out there (possibly in Canada) but I was unable to find one. Lyle has a "unibrow" which is also somewhat unusual.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    190
    As for the question posed by Scandi concerning the ridge on Lyles forehead that is not visible in the profile shot, I took the profile picture at the beginning of the autopsy. I took the face-on shot at the conclusion, after the skull had been opened. I pulled the scalp back into place in order to take that shot, and didn't see the wrinke of skin on his forehead. His forehead was smooth.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,715

    thnx for the correction

    Quote Originally Posted by coldcaseman
    I'm sorry, I didn't explain the term "missing ear lobes". They weren't removed, he never had them. Most people have lobes that droop (and seem to droop more when you get old!) A few people have no "lobe", which would make it tough to wear earrings. There was no book recovered, I found the connection to the book through a Google search. I bought the book through Amazon. I always felt Lyle was from a middle-upper income family. No signs he was involved in manual labor, no injuries, well read, articulate, clean, took care of his appearance, etc. I'm not saying that people from lower incomes don't have those traits, that was my impression.
    I must have misread the posts when I thought a book had been found with him. . . ooops. But this does raise the question of why he was so familiar with the book that he could use not only a name of a character but also could use a publisher name from the book all from memory. I wonder if that book was required reading in high school or college classes somewhere back then?

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by coldcaseman
    Concerning the shape of the skull, Native American and Asian skulls are very similar (high cheek bones, etc.) and I believe that Lyle is at least part Native American. While I was with the Sheriffs Department, I checked the name Lyle Stevik through a variety of web sites and sources with no luck. That's not to say their isn't a Lyle Stevik out there (possibly in Canada) but I was unable to find one. Lyle has a "unibrow" which is also somewhat unusual.

    The unibrow is a "white man's" characterist. My son has the unibrow which comes from his father's side of the family (his dad, grfather, etc), and possibly from my white ancestors (I haven't seen evidence on my side of the family).

    I'm curious, Lyle had facial hair, what about leg, arm, and chest hair? The more Asian or NA the less body hair on the arms, chest, and legs.

    Also, Lyle may have been a middle name or a nickname instead of a first name.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,284
    Lyle may be the type of person who can be mistaken for other ethnic backrounds when he's in fact only one

Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1763
    Last Post: Yesterday, 08:40 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-04-2017, 08:03 AM
  3. Replies: 1591
    Last Post: 05-23-2015, 12:14 AM
  4. Replies: 650
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 04:18 AM
  5. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 12:44 AM

Tags for this Thread