Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Only about 15% of people who commit suicide leave a note, which is so sad. The loved ones left behind are left with so many questions. I believe Lyle did notify his family, he just didn't leave a note for us. I have investigated several other suicides where people have come here from out of state, and had gotten rid of their identification, jewelry, etc. so they wouldn't "burden" their family with having to deal with the remains. I have always been successful in identifying them, until Lyle came along. The only lake close to the motel is Lake Quinault, which is very deep. We didn't search it, because we had no indication that a backpack was in there. Even if we did, it would be a needle in a haystack. I know of at least two people who drowned in the lake, and the bodies were never recovered. It is deep and very dark.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to coldcaseman For This Useful Post:

I didn't know the percentage was 15%!!

That's the national average, but I know from personal experience it seems less than that. When there is no note explaining why someone took their own life, the ones left behind begin second guessing, thinking they should have seen clues. People who are depressed will suddenly be more upbeat, then a week later they will kill themselves. When you are depressed, you feel that you have no control. When you come to the realization that you can control one thing (ending your life) you no longer have any worries. Things don't bother you as they once did, because you know that soon, there will be no more pain. To those around you, there is a sense of relief that you have been able to work through your depression, when in fact you should be seeking professional help.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to coldcaseman For This Useful Post:

Yes, Lake Quinault seems to be the supreme example of one formed by a big glacier, just like the Great Lakes. And if no one noticed a pack I can see where it would be a dead issue with nothing to go on. Just makes you wonder why he didn't bring a change of clothes. He was there 2.5 days plus you add in any travel time getting there and it is strange Lyle didn't care to wear clean clothes. It might say he didn't come from that far to Lake Quinault.

Knowing you are so familiar with suicides Coldcaseman, do you feel that he falls into the norm as to how he acted and his mental state? It seems like he was very low key with the maid and at the desk when he checked in. I don't see a period of being upbeat for him. What do you think about his pacing up and down the Hwy and also am curious to see what you think about him buying the Sunday paper !

Scandi

Arriving by bus, delaying leaving and seen pacing back and forth along the road. Sounds like he was rendevousing with someone that didn't show.

Knowing you are so familiar with suicides Coldcaseman, do you feel that he falls into the norm as to how he acted and his mental state? It seems like he was very low key with the maid and at the desk when he checked in. I don't see a period of being upbeat for him. What do you think about his pacing up and down the Hwy and also am curious to see what you think about him buying the Sunday paper !
    I guess he was pacing up and down the highway to I guess think over his plan- and him not being upbeat the whole time I guess means he was pretty serious about his plans. I'm guessing that when he got there, his plans weren't exactly in order

and foreign countries have been checked to see if he matched any missing persons? did he have an accent? he lookes russian, or eastern european.. maybe turkish or greek to me (might just be his ancestry, if he's an american). it's intersesting that his name also sounds eastern european, i wonder if it's not his real name, what the significance is (of the name matching his ethnic appearance). maybe it was the name of a relative?
    has he also been checked against any criminals that are wanted in other countries, or young boys or babies that went missing years ago (ditto)? maybe he was involved in prostitution, the drug trade, or some other kind of criminal activity. i get the feeling he was on the run for some reason, or maybe there were people looking for him who wanted to kill him, and he was tired of running/hiding, thought there was no escape. or perhaps he knew he'd go to jail if caught, and death was a better alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by reb
    and foreign countries have been checked to see if he matched any missing persons? did he have an accent? he lookes russian, or eastern european.. maybe turkish or greek to me (might just be his ancestry, if he's an american). it's intersesting that his name also sounds eastern european, i wonder if it's not his real name, what the significance is (of the name matching his ethnic appearance). maybe it was the name of a relative?
    has he also been checked against any criminals that are wanted in other countries, or young boys or babies that went missing years ago (ditto)? maybe he was involved in prostitution, the drug trade, or some other kind of criminal activity. i get the feeling he was on the run for some reason, or maybe there were people looking for him who wanted to kill him, and he was tired of running/hiding, thought there was no escape. or perhaps he knew he'd go to jail if caught, and death was a better alternative.
    The shape of his face made me think he was European:

Notice anything similar between him and this guy facial-feature wise?:

http://doenetwork.us/cases/233umwa.html (Lyle)
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/205umdeu.html

I still think from the time Lyle gave up on living he started planning his death. Gradually he notched his belt a little as his first part of the plan was working and he lost weight. He chose a destination that was out of the way where he wouldn't be noticed, planned the bus trip and how to not leave anything behind to tell who he was and then how he would appear when they came in and found him - his back to the door so it might appear he was praying or so they wouldn't see his face. Lots of little things like that.

6 mos to a year I think from A to Z.

One thing I wonder. Did he read Steven's article on the web? He did several things Steve recommended, like using a metal ring {belt buckle} and a washcloth to buffer his neck.

I wonder how many people Steven has helped commit suicide by having his article on the web?

Scandi

Hi outofthedark,

I think the second guy has wider cheekbones and a more narrow chin. That is skeletal difference that weight wouldn't change. Good try though!

If I ever get time I'd like to see what the indians from Vancouver BC look like.

/Scandi

Quote Originally Posted by scandi
    I still think from the time Lyle gave up on living he started planning his death. Gradually he notched his belt a little as his first part of the plan was working and he lost weight. He chose a destination that was out of the way where he wouldn't be noticed, planned the bus trip and how to not leave anything behind to tell who he was and then how he would appear when they came in and found him - his back to the door so it might appear he was praying or so they wouldn't see his face. Lots of little things like that.

6 mos to a year I think from A to Z.

One thing I wonder. Did he read Steven's article on the web? He did several things Steve recommended, like using a metal ring {belt buckle} and a washcloth to buffer his neck.

I wonder how many people Steven has helped commit suicide by having his article on the web?

Scandi
    From the way he did things, he sure wasn't a slouch- he must have been pretty good at being sneaky and must have been quite smart

Lyle doesn't fit the norm of the suicides I have investigated. The majority of them killed themselves at home, in their car, somewhere they feel comfortable. Very few have put this much forethought into it, which leads me to believe he is well educated. He didn't kill himself right away, he spent his last few days probably analyzing his situation. He probably read the paper to keep up on national events, such as the attacks, to confirm his decision to end his life. He may have just wanted something to read. If a person really wanted to disappear, they could walk miles into the woods (Grays Harbor is 1,900 square miles of woods). Lyle wanted his body to be found, to be taken care of, to be buried. I believe he just didn't want to burden his family. I handled a case years ago where the body of an older man was found on a hilltop outside a small town. The person had shot himself in the head. There was no identification, no jewelry, nothing. We put a description in the local paper. A woman called to tell us a male friend she grew up with had moved to Arizona years ago. The caller was friends with the mans wife, and the wife had informed the friend her husband had disappeared a month before. He left his truck, clothing, everything. We confirmed the dead man was the missing person from Arizona. Somewhere along the way, he disposed of his wallet, watch, and wedding ring, bought a bus ticket to Grays Harbor (to where he grew up years before) and killed himself. He was suffering some medical problems, and didn't want to burden his wife, so he chose to disappear. We know that Lyle isn't from Grays Harbor, but he may have lived here at one time, may have visited, or just went as far West as he could go.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to coldcaseman For This Useful Post:

need national exposure to get tips to break the case-I think

Quote Originally Posted by coldcaseman
    . . .Very few have put this much forethought into it, which leads me to believe he is well educated. . .
    I agree. So, to me, that says in order to identify him we need to get his pic seen by people at a lot of colleges and people who have been to college in about 1999 through 2001. Maybe some college prof or assistant will remember him. Maybe we can get his case on one of the national TV shows and get some national TV exposure of his face that way. I think the contacts for various TV sources are listed on one of the sticky forum threads here on websleuths.

Good idea, but most shows would prefer to deal with unidentified bodies rather than with people who chose to commit suicide. I think this is such an usual case, that everyone I've talked to about it usually offer theories as to who Lyle is.

time seems to be on our side

Quote Originally Posted by coldcaseman
    Good idea, but most shows would prefer to deal with unidentified bodies rather than with people who chose to commit suicide. I think this is such an usual case, that everyone I've talked to about it usually offer theories as to who Lyle is.
    Maybe if we talk up the mystery side of it we can interest them in showing the case. All we can do is try and if we get turned down we just have to find another way. Also I think the viewing public has more apetite for unsolved cases,and CSI shows of all types now as compared to the years past. I have been watching one such show from time to time called 48 hours where they show the first 48 hours of an investigation when a body is found. I guess I am just saying that I think our chances are better this year of 2006 & into 2007 than they would have been in 2001 or even in 2004 . . . . .how much better remains to be seen.

I'm all for it. Someone KNOWS who he is. I want his family to know where he is, that we took care of him.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to coldcaseman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by docwho3
    Maybe if we talk up the mystery side of it we can interest them in showing the case. All we can do is try and if we get turned down we just have to find another way. Also I think the viewing public has more apetite for unsolved cases,and CSI shows of all types now as compared to the years past. I have been watching one such show from time to time called 48 hours where they show the first 48 hours of an investigation when a body is found. I guess I am just saying that I think our chances are better this year of 2006 & into 2007 than they would have been in 2001 or even in 2004 . . . . .how much better remains to be seen.
    Great idea!!

I sent an e-mail to Cold Case Files about this case- they've never e-mailed me back

good try - you never know what will happen

Quote Originally Posted by outofthedark
    Great idea!!

I sent an e-mail to Cold Case Files about this case- they've never e-mailed me back
    Maybe we need for 10 or 15 of us to all send emails to them if one does not do the trick? I don't mind being a squeaky annoying (but polite) wheel if it helps get the case solved. Anyone else have any ideas of who else to contact first 2nd and 3rd?

I think it is a great idea as well, and am forming a plan that might work! LOL

There is a wonderful TV News channel associated with NBC out of Seattle. In our area it is called Northwest News because it covers the spectrum of the whole Northwest that includes Oregonm Washington and Idaho at times. I watch it sometimes because they often have personal interest stories. They have a husband and wife team that report the news, and I don't know who would be the one to contact, but a call to her would be a good way to start a line of conversation:

We have a local Northwest investigator who has just retired after 30 years, and was well known for solving almost every case he worked. He left his position with 3 cases dear to his heart because they are not yet solved. In his retirement now he is still searching for answers as to who these people were. And one man in particular, who he calls Lyle, is an unusual case, because he did not fit the pattern of the normal suicide that investigators deal with on a regular basis. He thinks Lyle deserves a final resting place near his family. And he is always searching out ways to put a given name to Lyle so he can really go back home.

Pan to drawing of Lyle as found, then pan to drawing of Lyle as he might have looked in the Spring of 2001 when he was 30 or so lbs heavier. Now pan to live shot of Lauren with his Sherlock cap standing in that cemetery talking to the reporter who interviews him as he explains how it has been 5 years since Lyle died and that is not too long to still find out who he is, etc. etc. etc. But time is of the essence, as every day that goes by makes solving a case more difficullt. And then CCM's last post would be the true message to impart as why he feels it is so important to ID him.

Just an idea there, but I seem to think this partuicular station would be very interested in doing a spot on Lyle as it would be human interest also about the 30 year detective who is still hard at work. Gosh, I think it is a winner of a way to go, as this stations coverage is quite wide I believe and their shows are repeated every so many hours over and over. It is live one time till they reshoot a new live report, and in the interim it keeps on a rolling. That spot would be shown umpteen times which would give Lyle much more exposure, right?

Then I think a promo type article like the one that ran in the Daily News should be pointed in the local Aberdeen, Port Angeles Seattle PI, Spokane, etc papers to co-ordinate with the TV spot. A little blitz to find a name, because every life matters. Maybe run it around Thanksgiving when people are open to giving thanks and helping others.

'Did you know this man in 2001?'

Scandi

ETA: Here is their Homepage - http://www.nwcn.com/

Maybe we need for 10 or 15 of us to all send emails to them if one does not do the trick? I don't mind being a squeaky annoying (but polite) wheel if it helps get the case solved. Anyone else have any ideas of who else to contact first 2nd and 3rd?
    I e-mailed his case to America's Most Wanted and here's what they e-mailed me back with:

Dear Viewer:

Thank you for writing to America's Most Wanted. We're so sorry to hear
    of the terrible tragedy you've had to endure*. We know you would like a
    response as soon as possible; however, America's Most Wanted only
    accepts requests for stories or segments through the mail. Please send
    your request to:

America's Most Wanted
    P.O. Box Crime TV
    Washington, DC 20016-9126

Please send a concise letter regarding the occurrence, a photograph of
    the victim and suspect, any newspaper clippings, police reports and the
    name and phone number of the detective investigating this case. Please
    allow 8-10 weeks for a response from the producers. All material sent
    to the producers will not be returned. If you can not provide this
    information to the producers, please give this to the victim's family
    or
    the detective investigating this crime.

Sincerely,
    Operator 6911

And here's what I said to them on their website:

think this unsolved case could be something the show could
    air:

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/233umwa.html

* Never once in my message did I ever say it was a terrible tragedy that I had to endure!!

I should have sent them another email asking them if they actually read my message properly

good thoughts

I think it is a great idea as well, and am forming a plan that might work! LOL. . .
    Cool! Lets go for it as well as all other the national things like Nancy Grace and Greta and all the rest.

Also I found a link to a post by one of the site moderators that has address contact info for some shows.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...13&postcount=1

The post was made near the end of January of this year (2006 for those reading this post in later years.)
    If any of the addresses have changed we can go to thir websites and get uptodate contact info.

Edited to add: The addresses to national shows are at the bottom of the list.

I think we all think some dynamic exposure on the case in the media now is what is needed. If Lauren has an idea that Lyle has been living in the NW then that is the area we need to concentrate on. If he thinks he maybe came from out of the NW to Gray's Harbor, that would mean a national media source for coverage, right?

Then we need to figure out how to get them to cover a suicide which rarely moves people to listen. I'm wondering even though it is an unusual case will anyone cover it because he committed suicide!

Scandi

hang in there

Quote Originally Posted by outofthedark
    I e-mailed his case to America's Most Wanted and here's what they e-mailed me back with:

Dear Viewer:

Thank you for writing to America's Most Wanted. We're so sorry to hear
    of the terrible tragedy you've had to endure*. . . .
    Good first try! I think we have to be prepared to be persistent.

Good first try! I think we have to be prepared to be persistent.
    Thanks!!

I still will never e-mail them for a long time

finding out

. . .I'm wondering even though it is an unusual case will anyone cover it because he committed suicide!. . .
    Only way to find out is to try and see what happens.

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast