What Would You Do?

beesy

myspace.com/beesy_boo
Reaction score
We've talked about Darlie screaming "my babies are dying, blah, blah" and how it's not what should be said in front of a living victim. That it will only freak out the victim even more by letting them know they are really very hurt. But how to convey the urgency of the situation? Is saying he has been stabbed and is hurt enough?

Beesy, I think its hard to say without actually being in the "moment," but one thing I can say with 100% certainty is that I would be holding my hurt child no matter what.

Jeana (DP) said:
Beesy, I think its hard to say without actually being in the "moment," but one thing I can say with 100% certainty is that I would be holding my hurt child no matter what.
Oh my Lord Jeana, I would too. I would have to be surgically removed from them. I cant imagine how she could have stood there doing nothing. I understand shock, from working at a hospital and seeing certain things, but It is hard to say what she would do. I think we seen what she would do. Those poor babies...:(

michelle said:
Oh my Lord Jeana, I would too. I would have to be surgically removed from them. I cant imagine how she could have stood there doing nothing. I understand shock, from working at a hospital and seeing certain things, but It is hard to say what she would do. I think we seen what she would do. Those poor babies...:(
That's what breaks my heart about Damon. Devon was already dead and he died quickly(not that it makes less horrible), but Damon lived all that long time knowing his parents weren't helping him. I just wonder how much he heard. Did he hear them setting up the story? And at least Darin made a show of hleping Devon. Did Damon know that?

Man, I'd have to say that you couldn't pry me off......HOWEVER, there are some who I suppose couldn't come to mental grips with a trauma such as this.

That aside, I think Darlie was having to grip something else of a mental nature. I think she couldn't bare the guilt....to look in his questioning eyes. She didn't have an answer for her actions, and she couldn't take it back. IMO, she couldn't face (literally) what she had done.

Yes, the eyes. In the interview right after the silly string party, they both went on about what they saw in their eyes and how they would have to live with that forever (somewhere around the "we tried to save out babies, but couldn't"). But I don't remember them talking about that again anywhere else, except maybe at trial having to say whether the boy's eyes were open or not.

beesy said:
That's what breaks my heart about Damon. Devon was already dead and he died quickly(not that it makes less horrible), but Damon lived all that long time knowing his parents weren't helping him. I just wonder how much he heard. Did he hear them setting up the story? And at least Darin made a show of hleping Devon. Did Damon know that?
I pray if that was the case beesy that he didnt hear anything. I sometimes hope and pray that God in his mercy would not allow poor children to suffer or hear things like. When I think of murdered children I think God has a way of taking them out before they feel or hear any of the horrors. That just my little prayer....

beesy said:

With my latest listen to the 911 call on my cd player, I hear Darlie say "damon, I don't want you to die" I don't have the time but I will find it and let you know and see if anyone else can hear this. I think it's right after she says Damon, Damon, Damon.

cami said:
With my latest listen to the 911 call on my cd player, I hear Darlie say "damon, I don't want you to die" I don't have the time but I will find it and let you know and see if anyone else can hear this. I think it's right after she says Damon, Damon, Damon.
But why would she say that? For show for the OP to hear or to Damon? That's weird. I always think the part which is transcribed as "I thought you were already dead" is creepy, but people say that's not what she's saying. Is it around in there?

In my years as a dispatcher (small-town 911 operator), I have NEVER had someone behave that way when calling in for an injured child. And while I've never gotten a call where children have been injured the way Devon and Damon were - I have handled calls where a child has been found floating in a pool; hit by a car two doors from his house; had ingested medication prescribed for an adult; and countless motor vehicle accidents with injured child passengers - the majority of the calls are originated by the mother - who usually sounds quite frantic, but has the presence of mind to LISTEN to what I am saying to her and not scream hysterically. Once it has been determined there is a medical emergency (even an "unknown" medical emergency) the alert tone is already out via the dispatch radio and units are waitng for an address or location (which is up on the screen in front of you - unless the call is from a cellular phone, in which case you may have only a name). The moms I have encountered are usually quite eager for instruction on what to do - in the case of the child found unresponsive in the pool, mom had already pulled him out and placed him on his back; she was on the line long enough to tell me she needed an ambulance, her son was found floating face down in the pool and not breathing, she gave me the address - and then told me she was going to try CPR, she put the phone down and I had no contact with her again until the EMTs arrived and took over.

There is no "right way" to behave when making a 911 call - callers are scared, sometimes injured themselves, etc., BUT, the more I listen to Darlie, the more I hear someone trying to exonerate herself - especially the part where she states "someone... came in here and intentionally did it Darin!" Just her tone of voice and the way she says 'Darin' - [I paraphrased, I cannot remember it verbatim]. My opinion only.

sharkeyes said:
In my years as a dispatcher (small-town 911 operator), I have NEVER had someone behave that way when calling in for an injured child. And while I've never gotten a call where children have been injured the way Devon and Damon were - I have handled calls where a child has been found floating in a pool; hit by a car two doors from his house; had ingested medication prescribed for an adult; and countless motor vehicle accidents with injured child passengers - the majority of the calls are originated by the mother - who usually sounds quite frantic, but has the presence of mind to LISTEN to what I am saying to her and not scream hysterically. Once it has been determined there is a medical emergency (even an "unknown" medical emergency) the alert tone is already out via the dispatch radio and units are waitng for an address or location (which is up on the screen in front of you - unless the call is from a cellular phone, in which case you may have only a name). The moms I have encountered are usually quite eager for instruction on what to do - in the case of the child found unresponsive in the pool, mom had already pulled him out and placed him on his back; she was on the line long enough to tell me she needed an ambulance, her son was found floating face down in the pool and not breathing, she gave me the address - and then told me she was going to try CPR, she put the phone down and I had no contact with her again until the EMTs arrived and took over.

There is no "right way" to behave when making a 911 call - callers are scared, sometimes injured themselves, etc., BUT, the more I listen to Darlie, the more I hear someone trying to exonerate herself - especially the part where she states "someone... came in here and intentionally did it Darin!" Just her tone of voice and the way she says 'Darin' - [I paraphrased, I cannot remember it verbatim]. My opinion only.

You're exactly right. By the way, welcome to the forum! Good to have you. There's just nothing that is right about this case. From that phone call to the relatively new confession from Darin that they did indeed have a huge fight that night and she asked for a separation. That admission followed years of her mother calling me a liar for saying that same thing. And, of course, the fact that they both failed lie detector tests. There's just not one thing that she's tried to pass off that can pass the smell test.

Sometime when all of us are game ... We need to tear that 911 call apart. I know I've listened to it several times and come up with different things too. Maybe do it a little bit at a time each weekend or something like that. If maybe 5-10 of us are interested I'll head it up. Any takers?

sharkeyes said:
In my years as a dispatcher (small-town 911 operator), I have NEVER had someone behave that way when calling in for an injured child. And while I've never gotten a call where children have been injured the way Devon and Damon were - I have handled calls where a child has been found floating in a pool; hit by a car two doors from his house; had ingested medication prescribed for an adult; and countless motor vehicle accidents with injured child passengers - the majority of the calls are originated by the mother - who usually sounds quite frantic, but has the presence of mind to LISTEN to what I am saying to her and not scream hysterically. Once it has been determined there is a medical emergency (even an "unknown" medical emergency) the alert tone is already out via the dispatch radio and units are waitng for an address or location (which is up on the screen in front of you - unless the call is from a cellular phone, in which case you may have only a name). The moms I have encountered are usually quite eager for instruction on what to do - in the case of the child found unresponsive in the pool, mom had already pulled him out and placed him on his back; she was on the line long enough to tell me she needed an ambulance, her son was found floating face down in the pool and not breathing, she gave me the address - and then told me she was going to try CPR, she put the phone down and I had no contact with her again until the EMTs arrived and took over
This is great, a view from the other side. We have several moms on here who have had to call 911 for their children(me included) but we haven't had an opinion from your side. Darlie listens to nothing the OP says. She sounds irritated and her screeching makes it impossible for anyone to hear any type of instruction the OP might have given. I think that is why the OP didn't give her any. She was trying to find out how many were injured, who else was in the house and then she had to spend time telling Darlie to answer the door and to tell Darlie not to worry about the stupid prints. Darlie never once asks what she should do for Damon.

justice2 said:
Sometime when all of us are game ... We need to tear that 911 call apart. I know I've listened to it several times and come up with different things too. Maybe do it a little bit at a time each weekend or something like that. If maybe 5-10 of us are interested I'll head it up. Any takers?

count me in...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back