667 users online (86 members and 581 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Country singer Billy Walker killed in accident

WSMV - Nashville Channel 4 News Van wreck on I-65 in Ala. kills Opry legend, 3

I have had the opportunity to see him in concert twice lately and bought one of his CD's. We play it all the time. He was supposed to come to our area again soon and I was going to get my mom and take her. He was on the Opry a lot too.

This isn't far from us at all, we live one hour from Montgomery on the opposite side from Fort Deposit...so sad. I'm sorry to say I have never heard of this man, though. I'm not a big country music fan.

He was 77 but he still had a tremendous voice. He closed his show with the song This Time You Gave Me a Mountain and it would give you chills the way he sang it. He worked with Elvis Presley many years ago and helped get him on the Louisiana Hayride. He was supposed to have been on the plane that killed Patsy Cline but due to an emergency he needed to get home and Hawkshaw Hawkins gave him his ticket on another flight and Hawkshaw Hawkins was killed along with Patsy Cline. He just did fairs and smaller shows like fundraisers for schools in recent years I think and appeared on the Opry. I had seen him on the Opry but didn't realize how good he really was until I saw him in the longer concert a few months ago and again about three weeks ago. Some of his songs reminded me of Marty Robbins and a couple like Elvis. His wife was with him when we saw him and I think the other two killed may be the two men who played and sang with him when we saw him. They were very good if it was them.

Oh gosh! How sad. He will be missed.