7-Year-Old Successfully Swims From Alcatraz

opme

Reaction score
PHOENIX -- A 7-year-old Arizona boy completed an estimated 1.4-mile swim from Alcatraz Island to the city's Aquatic Park early Monday.

Braxton Bilbrey's coach and two other adults joined him in the chilly waters of San Francisco Bay. He was greeted at the finish by reporters, photographers and well-wishers.

"I think it's pretty cool," Braxton said shortly after his father grabbed him under the arms and lifted him out of the water.

When asked what he wanted to do next, Braxton said he hoped to swim the English Channel

More at link....
http://www.nbc10.com/news/9253997/detail.html

Amazing that he could do that, although, I am not sure that I could allow one of my kids to try - no matter how good of a swimmer they are!

That's pretty impressive!! Sounds like there were at least three adults with him - seems as safe as it can get.

Yeah, I don't know about things like that and kiddies.
Remember the 7 year old (I think she was 7, maybe younger even) who tried to fly a plane across America?
I forget her name....
I think kids should be kids....not world record breakers.
:D

lisag said:
Amazing that he could do that, although, I am not sure that I could allow one of my kids to try - no matter how good of a swimmer they are!

I tend to agree with youi Lisa. Seems like too big of a risk simply for bragging rights.

lisag said:
Given the riptides and sharks around there, yeah.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back