1223 users online (228 members and 995 guests)  

Websleuths News

GA - Three Children Hurt At McDonalds.

Some idiot ran over three children and two adults in Georgia. Apparently he did this on purpose. This isn't road rage this is attempted murder. His mother says he has depression. Well...whoops! The kids are babies.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...covington.html

I read about that on CNN. What in the hell is wrong with people?!!! That just burned me up. I hope those babies will be OK... their momma's too. This is just horrid!
    Last edited by ember; 05-23-2006 at 09:56 PM.
    ~*~Think Globally, Act Locally! Please Recycle! ~*~

I know. It just sent me to the edge of what I could/can hope for some. This falling back on depression doesn't cut it for me.You dont take your car and point it at babies. This was someone who took pleasure in their endeavor. Obviously, because of smiles and such. I think a lot of people want to have fun with the system and see if they can beat it.

This isn't a depression issue at all. This is a control issue with personality disorder. Like Eric Rudolfe, with a different agenda. Maybe the children were black....we don't know any of that yet.

In any case this is horrible. I am p$ssed that someone would do this at all.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    I know. It just sent me to the edge of what I could/can hope for some. This falling back on depression doesn't cut it for me.You dont take your car and point it at babies. This was someone who took pleasure in their endeavor. Obviously, because of smiles and such. I think a lot of people want to have fun with the system and see if they can beat it.

This isn't a depression issue at all. This is a control issue with personality disorder. Like Eric Rudolfe, with a different agenda. Maybe the children were black....we don't know any of that yet.

In any case this is horrible. I am p$ssed that someone would do this at all.
    Or maybe the children were white. Doesn't matter. This man should be in jail and if any of them were to die, he should be on death row.

I agree that it isn't a depression issue but maybe it was psychosis and the voices finally made him snap.

I just pray these children and their moms will survive and be okay.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by ember
    I read about that on CNN. WEhat in the hell is wrong with people?!!! That just burned me up. I hope those babies will be OK... their momma's too. This is just horrid!
    This is another of those cases where we're paying the price for eliminating mental health support systems, and involuntary commitment of those who really need it! His mom knew what he was, but right now there's nothing that can be done about it, unless the sick individual involved agrees they're sick and agrees to be committed, then is lucky enough that there is space somewhere!

People like this guy used to be able to be committed, put somewhere where they did recieve help, and were kept from hurting others. A coalition of people concerned about the rights of the involuntarily committed (and there were indeed some abuses that needed correcting), and those who looked forward to cutting the mental hospitals out of the budget got this changed, and many innocents have paid the price.

Even if programs are cut it still comes down to responsibilty. If a parent knew about issues that could present a problem than they need to act. We can't give everyone a free pass. We just can't. Children are being hurt everywhere. People are missing everywhere.I am not about forgiving everyone.Responsibilty has to rear its head at sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    Even if programs are cut it still comes down to responsibilty. If a parent knew about issues that could present a problem than they need to act. We can't give everyone a free pass. We just can't. Children are being hurt everywhere. People are missing everywhere.I am not about forgiving everyone.Responsibilty has to rear its head at sometime.
    The mom knew about it - but what can she do to an insane 40 year old man? He was a nutjob - and that means it's the government's role to protect us from him, because he obviously won't do it himself. But they dropped the ball, and just said that if he can't be proven to be a menace right now, if he's only maybe a menace, no involuntary commitment.

I don't know how much of his sanity was left, but people fool themselves about that - think they'll be OK if they can keep busy, go to work, think they've got control over the bad impulses - then find out they don't. It's just not that simple! Some hormones, changes in brain chemistry, existing brain damage, etc. - and you or I might well do the very same thing as this guy did.

Assign responsibility - sure - where it belongs - and that takes looking at the whole story. A 60 year old mom can't be expected to control her 40 year old son. If he's a nutjob, then he can't be expected to control himself. It comes down to that this is a prime situation for the police to be handling - but their hands have been tied by lawmakers and budget planners that don't let them do anything about these ticking time bombs (and that frustrates the police a ton!). And a part of that comes down to us, as voters who choose the lawmakers, and the courts, and many other people. It's complex, and it's not so nice because you can't just point the finger and your anger at one person - many did it, many had a hand in it, each has a small portion of the blame, and many of them did it with the best of intentions!

But now that we know about it, and we have for years - what are people doing about it? Not much. There's been some attempts to put some of the old system back in place, but voters don't like politicians who talk about spending money, and the issue just isn't hot enough that a lawmaker can get elected by promising to help fix it. People get mad whenever one of these happens - then keep voting for the same people, the same system. It won't change until enough people get mad, and mad at the real problem, and do something. I've done my bit - written letters - but one letter writer doesn't do enough, doesn't give enough reason to fix the problem.

Unfortunately, what Details said really covers it. If an adult is not a "clear and present danger to himself or others," there is almost nothing that can or will be done to force help for him or her. Having the potential for being dangerous does not cut it. Will await more details here, but it is very possible his mother has tried for years to obtain help for him, unsuccessfully. In too many cases the mental health field is a very sad place for families who need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Details
    The mom knew about it - but what can she do to an insane 40 year old man? He was a nutjob - and that means it's the government's role to protect us from him, because he obviously won't do it himself. But they dropped the ball, and just said that if he can't be proven to be a menace right now, if he's only maybe a menace, no involuntary commitment.

I don't know how much of his sanity was left, but people fool themselves about that - think they'll be OK if they can keep busy, go to work, think they've got control over the bad impulses - then find out they don't. It's just not that simple! Some hormones, changes in brain chemistry, existing brain damage, etc. - and you or I might well do the very same thing as this guy did.

Assign responsibility - sure - where it belongs - and that takes looking at the whole story. A 60 year old mom can't be expected to control her 40 year old son. If he's a nutjob, then he can't be expected to control himself. It comes down to that this is a prime situation for the police to be handling - but their hands have been tied by lawmakers and budget planners that don't let them do anything about these ticking time bombs (and that frustrates the police a ton!). And a part of that comes down to us, as voters who choose the lawmakers, and the courts, and many other people. It's complex, and it's not so nice because you can't just point the finger and your anger at one person - many did it, many had a hand in it, each has a small portion of the blame, and many of them did it with the best of intentions!

But now that we know about it, and we have for years - what are people doing about it? Not much. There's been some attempts to put some of the old system back in place, but voters don't like politicians who talk about spending money, and the issue just isn't hot enough that a lawmaker can get elected by promising to help fix it. People get mad whenever one of these happens - then keep voting for the same people, the same system. It won't change until enough people get mad, and mad at the real problem, and do something. I've done my bit - written letters - but one letter writer doesn't do enough, doesn't give enough reason to fix the problem.
    Great post! You just exposed the whole problem. With the exception that some of these moms may have known about problems but didn't acknowledge them.

Quote Originally Posted by Details

same problem in Germany and Britain: people on the streets who shouldn't be as they'll harm themselves and others.

Suspect denied bond, charged with 6 counts of aggravated assault.Next hearing in June. The article is clear as mud....intentional or backing away from those assertations. In any case, I believe they have him without bond due to his mental condition.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...tchildren.html

The two year old has died. Sorry, but I am p$ssed.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...tchildren.html

Take some action - write to your lawmakers at all levels, and ask how many of these we need before we realize we made a mistake eliminating commitment and mental health hospital budgets.