Highway patrol officer, friend, die in California Ferrari crash

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
news link
AGOURA HILLS, Calif. (AP) _ It could take weeks to figure out what caused a California Highway Patrol officer to crash a Ferrari into a telephone pole near Los Angeles, killing himself and his passenger.

The C-H-P says Officer Derek Midollo was driving the 1993 Ferrari Testarossa on a narrow road in Agoura Hills yesterday when he apparently lost control. The silver car hit the pole and came to rest on its roof in a corral.

Midollo and his passenger, David Bjorklund, who was visiting from Chicago, died at the scene. Midollo was an eleven-year veteran of the patrol.

dark_shadows said:
news link
AGOURA HILLS, Calif. (AP) _ It could take weeks to figure out what caused a California Highway Patrol officer to crash a Ferrari into a telephone pole near Los Angeles, killing himself and his passenger.

The C-H-P says Officer Derek Midollo was driving the 1993 Ferrari Testarossa on a narrow road in Agoura Hills yesterday when he apparently lost control. The silver car hit the pole and came to rest on its roof in a corral.

Midollo and his passenger, David Bjorklund, who was visiting from Chicago, died at the scene. Midollo was an eleven-year veteran of the patrol.
This was on our morning news yesterday with fresh footage of the crash. It was pretty bad.

JBean said:
This was on our morning news yesterday with fresh footage of the crash. It was pretty bad.
Hi JBean,
Was this on the news about the same Officer?;

news link

Thousand Oaks, CA, Lodge recently presented a pair of in-line skates and a bicycle to 15-year-old Rina Salvador of Guatemala. Rina was in California to undergo surgery to repair a hole in her heart. When the Lodge learned that her one wish was to someday skate and bicycle like her friends, it promptly arranged for Rina's dream to come true. In other news, Thousand Oaks Lodge held its 22nd annual Law Enforcement and Firefighters Appreciation Night. The Lodge presented each of the six honorees-engineer Larry Kohagen, Sheriff's Deputy Kim Crowe, and police officer George Orozco of Ventura County as well as Detective Christopher Germann, firefighter Phillip Najemnik, and police officer Derek Midollo of Los Angeles County-with an inscribed plaque.

dark_shadows said:
Hi JBean,
Was this on the news about the same Officer?;

news link

Thousand Oaks, CA, Lodge recently presented a pair of in-line skates and a bicycle to 15-year-old Rina Salvador of Guatemala. Rina was in California to undergo surgery to repair a hole in her heart. When the Lodge learned that her one wish was to someday skate and bicycle like her friends, it promptly arranged for Rina's dream to come true. In other news, Thousand Oaks Lodge held its 22nd annual Law Enforcement and Firefighters Appreciation Night. The Lodge presented each of the six honorees-engineer Larry Kohagen, Sheriff's Deputy Kim Crowe, and police officer George Orozco of Ventura County as well as Detective Christopher Germann, firefighter Phillip Najemnik, and police officer Derek Midollo of Los Angeles County-with an inscribed plaque.
No they were not releasing any names the last time i saw the news reports. So your posts and links are the first i have seen of the names.
It is really sad...but it is not uncommon on those roads in the fast cars.

I'm sorry to hear this. My ex-hubby is still an active CHP officer. It's true to say the whole agency grieves when it loses one of its own. I knew one that died last December, Officer Mike Walker.

In the "it's a small world" arena...last fall I was here in our duty station and we had a couple come in, from California. They introduced themselves as the surviving parents of a CHP officer. So I started talking to them and told them I was married to a CHP officer and remember when their son died, it was in the CHP magazine, etc. It was a great experience. We exchanged info and I even gave them my CHP "totally cool" mousepad I had at my desk! They loved it, as they collect CHP items, but had never seen the mousepad I had, LOL. We were just amazed that they'd walk into a Texas LE office and meet someone who knew about their son from the CHP. Pretty neat, and neat people!

Okay, off track, sorry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back