Memorial Day Moment of Remembrance Hasn't Caught On

Dark Knight

Reaction score
A tiny White House commission has spent the past five years and $1.5 million trying to bring a new American tradition to Memorial Day's barbecues, parades and sales: A moment of remembrance, a sigh, perhaps a prayer. Just a 30-second pause.

The results, so far, are mixed.

The White House Commission on the National Moment of Remembrance does have a theme song donated by Charles Strouse, creator of the musical "Annie." There's a logo, pens and coasters, prewritten news articles and television spots. There have been events, like a sand-sculpture display inspired by D-Day.

And a few towns, businesses and organizations have paused silently at 3 p.m. on Memorial Day.

In general, though, the commission's hyper-energetic executive director, Carmella LaSpada, has been somewhat frustrated by the lack of interest.

"We're a little disappointed," she said. "What has been the problem is that we haven't gotten the support that we would like to have from the media."

Rest of the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060525/ap_on_re_us/moment_of_remembrance&printer=1

Dark Knight said:
A tiny White House commission has spent the past five years and $1.5 million trying to bring a new American tradition to Memorial Day's barbecues, parades and sales: A moment of remembrance, a sigh, perhaps a prayer. Just a 30-second pause.

The results, so far, are mixed.

The White House Commission on the National Moment of Remembrance does have a theme song donated by Charles Strouse, creator of the musical "Annie." There's a logo, pens and coasters, prewritten news articles and television spots. There have been events, like a sand-sculpture display inspired by D-Day.

And a few towns, businesses and organizations have paused silently at 3 p.m. on Memorial Day.

In general, though, the commission's hyper-energetic executive director, Carmella LaSpada, has been somewhat frustrated by the lack of interest.

"We're a little disappointed," she said. "What has been the problem is that we haven't gotten the support that we would like to have from the media."

Rest of the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060525/ap_on_re_us/moment_of_remembrance&printer=1

---------------

I remember. A battlefield in Granvuillers France,Oct.1st 1944~I was 12 yrs. I still cry.I am sure there are many more on websleuths who also remember.I get upset when all people talk of is picnics and good times.Say a bit of thank you before your BBQ..

After watching hbo's baghdad e.r., I believe we all owe such a debt to our servicemen and women. Especially during this coming Memorial Day weekend. My God have mercy on them and may they always prevail. Not one soldier will ever come back untouched by the grief of loss. That is for sure. The pain of war cannot exceed the woe of aftermath.
May God bless them and have mercy on them. May he shine his light upon them and their families for such unbearable suffering and worry. And this weekend, may the families of the dead be especially the focus of our prayers and thoughts. I don't care what each of you as a person thinks about the war in Iraq or Afghanistan. Let's care for the American servicepeople that are there in harm's way. We can all agree on that, surely, if we have a heart at all.

Peace when there is no peace. Quiet when there is nothing but the den of war. Love when there is nothing but hatred and wisdom instead of confusion.
I choose to love you all. Let's love those that fight, even though they may be sometimes confused as to why they fight.
And watch HBO's Baghdad E.R. if you can and share a prayer for the wounded, mentally, spiritually and physically.
Peace is the goal.

*** bumping for Memorial Day ***

Remember those who died, today, please!

Just one moment of silence to remember all the brave men and women who gave there lives trying to make the world a better place for us to live in . May peace be with them and there famillies where ever they are .

redeskimo said:
Just one moment of silence to remember all the brave men and women who gave there lives trying to make the world a better place for us to live in . May peace be with them and there famillies where ever they are .
Well Said . That goes for me,too.

Nore said:
---------------

I remember. A battlefield in Granvuillers France,Oct.1st 1944~I was 12 yrs. I still cry.I am sure there are many more on websleuths who also remember.I get upset when all people talk of is picnics and good times.Say a bit of thank you before your BBQ..

God be with all our service men and women.
I'm thankful for the lives that have been given
for our peace and freedom.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man
lay down his life for his friends.

Last night I asked a pal if they planned on
grilling out and was sobered by the response--I'd
never really, I am ashamed to say, thought
of it before.

Memorial Day isn't about the cook outs and
get togethers (my words), but about remembrance
of those who've given so much.

Can we not honor them with so little?