833 users online (94 members and 739 guests)  

Websleuths News

SC - Video toddler's mom charged

Notice what I've highlighted in blue....something's wrong here.

"The mother of a North Charleston toddler who appeared in a homemade video laced with profanity, guns and what appears to be drugs faces a child endangerment charge following an investigation by police...
    ...Police also arrested her boyfriend, 18-year-old Dante Washington of North Charleston, who appears in the video slapping the diaper-clad boy on the head and taunting him, Pryor said. He is charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor, a misdemeanor that carries a possible three-year prison term, authorities said..."

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?n...tion=localnews

What a nice group of people!!! NOT--Note that Washington has a record. The Mother should be held too in my opinion--she was home when this was going on and she didn't protect her son from her boyfriend and his friends. I have less and less tolerance for people like her.

Snips from the article:

The video unfolds with a half-dozen men clowning and mugging for the camera outside an apartment, their language peppered with rhymes and profanity. An assault rifle is handed around while the men prance about, waving the gun, trash-talking and dancing. After one man reveals a handful of white, soap-like rocks, the camera pans back and reveals a toddler standing on the garbage-strewn ground.

A man cuffs the child on the head, and the boy then lurches about as others in the group laughingly taunt him.

Police Chief Jon Zumalt, clearly disturbed by the images, pledged a thorough investigation into the episode.

After identifying the child and his mother, investigators conferred with prosecutors to determine what charges were appropriate, Pyror said. Frazier lived at the apartment featured in the video, and she was home when it was filmed, he said.

Ninth Circuit Solicitor Ralph Hoisington said the treatment of the toddler in the video was the clearest crime he saw in the footage.

"I am glad North Charleston police identified the people involved in that, and I do think it warrants criminal charges," he said. "I was more offended by the way the little boy was treated than by all the posturing and gangster activities I saw in there."

Frazier has no prior criminal record in South Carolina, but Washington is awaiting trial on pending charges of lynching, disturbing schools, strong-arm robbery and marijuana possession, according to State Law Enforcement Division records.

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    pending charges of lynching ??!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marie
    pending charges of lynching ??!!!

Sure does make you wonder why in the world he was walking around free doesn't it?!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean
    Sure does make you wonder why in the world he was walking around free doesn't it?!!!!
    Sure as helll does!

When I think about lynching I think about those old movies where they string someone up, etc... So I just had to do some checking to see what it meant in this day and age.

From South Carolina's Judicial website:
    http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/tria...ok/offense.cfm

Offenses Against the Person 19. Lynching - Second Degree
    LYNCHING - SECOND DEGREE
    Class C Felony

Code §16-3-220

CDR Code 313

Elements Of The Offense:

1. That the mob did commit violence upon the body of another person, and

2. That the accused did participate as a member of said mob so engaged.

Note: See §16-3-240 for treatment of all members of mob present at time violence committed considered to be aiders and abettors and guilty as principals.
    Penalty:

Imprisonment for not less than 3 years nor more than 20 years.

LYNCHING - FIRST DEGREE
    Exempt Felony

Code §16-3-210

CDR Code 312

Elements Of The Offense:

1. That a person's death resulted from the violence inflicted upon him by a mob, and

2. That the accused was a member of that mob.

Note: A mob is defined in §16-3-230 as an assemblage of two or more persons, without color of law, gathered together for the premeditated purpose of committing violence upon another. This section is distinguished from the following section on second degree lynching by the requisite element of the death of an individual who was the object of the violence of the mob, where §16-3-220 required only "any act of violence". (See also §§16-3-240 through 270).
    Penalty:

Death, unless the jury shall recommend the defendant to the mercy of the court, in which event the defendant shall be confined for a term not exceeding 40 years nor less than 5 years at the discretion of the presiding judge.

I am from the Charleston area and there have been several people charged with lynching over the years. Its basically when 2 or more people get together and beat up a person.

This video is the second one that has come to light in the past year. They make it so gangs in other states ect. recognize them or whatever.
    I am glad they are charging the mother
    Last edited by SCmomof2; 05-26-2006 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling error