Identified! CT - New Britain, Wht/HispFem 175UFCT, 17-20, Sep'95 - Elizabeth Honsch

Status
Not open for further replies.

italianchica

Reaction score
This saddens me that this poor child has a family. Someone dumped her like a piece of trash.

M I S S I N G
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/forthemissing_photos/Websleuths/UID.jpg

*Updated post mortem photo at above link. (Updated per LE request)

Unidentified White Female
Date Found - 9/28/95
Where Found - New Britain, Connecticut
Approximate Age - 16-21 years old
L.E.A. - New Britain Police Dept.
Contact - Captain Michael Sullivan
Telephone Number - (860)826-3069​

ID Info - NCIC #U-874069709. This white female was 5'3" tall, weighed 116 pounds, had brown hair and brown eyes. She had a pierced belly button and fingerprints are available. She was found wearing a white Union Bay farmer jeans, multi colored long sleeved shirt, white athletic socks, brown LA Gear shoes size 6 1/2, a Gitano watch, a gold herringbone necklace and one gold stud earring.​

Circumstances - The body of this female was located near Routes 84 and 9 just south of Hartford, Connecticut. The body was wrapped within two sleeping bags and discarded near a shopping center. She is a victim of a homicide.​

CPEAposterLogo.gif

If you know who this victim was, please contact the Child Protection Education of America, Inc. at (866)USA-CHILD or the law enforcement agency above.

I've been trying to follow this case since no one has claimed her. I live in CT about 20 minutes from New Britain. I read somewhere on the internet that police had interviewed leads as far as Puerto Rico, but I wonder if there's been any other breaks in the case.

I'm also from CT not far from there, although I live in NYC now.

Do you have any idea which shopping center she was located by?

i am also interested in identifying this girl. i have submitted the following to the police dept in ct. and texas a few months ago, but haven't heard anything as of yet. i think that crystal ortega is a potential match. here's another listing for the unidentified

The Doe Network:
Case File 175UFCT

175UFCT.jpg
175UFCT1.jpg

Left: Sketch of Victim by Charles E Holt; Right: Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified White / Hispanic Female
  • Located on September 28, 1995 in New Britain, Hartford County, Connecticut
  • Cause of death was homicide

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 17 - 20 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"; 116 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; brown eyes. She had a pierced navel with a silver navel ring and pierced ears.
  • Clothing: She was wearing a brown/beige Croquet brand striped pullover shirt, size small; white Union Bay brand bibbed overalls, size small; white athletic socks; tan LA Gear brand shoes, size 6 1/2; a maroon bra; a Gitano brand wristwatch; a gold herringbone necklace; and a ring with a pink stone.

175UFCTJewelry.jpg

Victim's Jewelry

Case History
The victim was located near Routes 84 and 9, south of Hartford, CT. Body was wrapped within 2 sleeping bags and discarded near a shopping center. She was killed by a single gunshot to the head. An autopsy determined that she had not been dead for very long before she was found. Police believe she was killed elsewhere, then dumped behind the plaza, which is a few hundred yards from Route 9, a busy state highway that runs from West Hartford to Old Saybrook.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
New Britain Police Department
860-826-3069

NCIC Number:
U-874069709
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information: FBI
http://www.fbi.gov/
http://www.fbi.gov/

The Doe Network:
Case File 1338DFTX

CLOrtega.jpg
CLOrtega1.jpg

Left: Ortega, circa 1995; Right: Age-Progressed to age 22 (circa 2004)

Crystal Lynn Ortega
Missing since August 8, 1995 from Mixon, Cherokee County, Texas.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: September 22, 1981
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4" (163 cm); 130 lbs (59 kg)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
  • Marks: She may be wearing contacts or glasses.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Ortega was last seen in Mixon, TX on August 8, 1995. She is missing with her sister Misty

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Cherokee County Sheriff's Office
Missing Persons Unit
903-683-2271

NCIC Number: M-855940507
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

I can't open those links. It bothers me that the police departments never got back to you.

try these. yea it bothers me too, but i don't think they would unless of course you were a family member. i had tried joining the doenetwork back a few months ago so i could submit the tip, but they were not accepting any new members. when you look at the potential match, let me know what you think.

thanks,
dkeene8

http://www.doenetwork.us/
Case File 1338DFTX crystal ortega
Case File 175UFCT uid new britain, ct

Yes. The Crystal Ortega is a potential match. They seem to be in the same age/weight range. I did read somewhere the police worked on several leads but have found nothing. They even went so far as the US Virgin Islands/Puerto Rico.

italianchica~

is the shopping center where the uid was found near a major highway, say that truckers might use? my theory is maybe she thumbed a ride, caught one with a trucker, killed and then dumped. it is so beyond me that there are so many uid's and young ones at that. i can't imagine why they are not reported missing.

Yes it is directly off the highway ~ right off Route 9. The thing is the body was found 3 years after she went missing. They did say she wasn't dead for very long before police found her.

crystal went missing in august 95, uid was found in sept 95 it's the same year just a month apart. right off the highway, makes sense doesn't it?

If it is Crystal, then I wonder where her sister Misty is (age 15), since she dissappeared with her?

yea, i've thought the same thing. possibly in the same situation as her sister, or maybe when they ran away got split up somehow. i'm calling in the potential match again today and will try to get some answers to see if she has at least been checked against crystal or ruled out.

update us as to what info they gave you. I don't know why my heart is aching for this child so much.

i just got off the phone with usa-child, one of the places that has her listed . the woman i spoke with suggested that i make a call to the detective in ct that's in charge of the case. i told her of all the emails i sent and haven't heard anything. she also said to stay on it, because of it being an old case it may take some persistence (which i have been known to have!)
i'll keep ya posted. my heart aches also for so many, sometimes i just have to stay away for awhile, i get very wrapped up in it all.

I think with me the fact that I have 2 children and also the other fact that as a child I was in the foster care system for some time. I often found myself "lost" and I think I would have ended up in a bad direction if it weren't for a teacher I had in high school. Despight going through what I did, I managed to go to college and make something good of myself. Statistically, that wasn't supposed to happen.

:D that's awesome italianchica! good for you, turning a bad situation around, and beating those odds. i have a son who means more to me than anything in this world. i would give my life for him. it is beyond me the people that could care less about their kids, family members, etc. i just don't get it.

What scares me is that a lot of teens that are in the situation i was in do turn to the streets. They have no clue how dangerous it can be.

There was a story a few months ago here about a truck driver that waved down this lady coming off the exit. She was on her way to pick up her kids after she got out of work. The truck driver abducted her, beat her, raped her.

It was her first day at a new job as a buyer, a promotion at the company where she has worked for years. She had picked up Chinese food at a place in Tolland and was in plenty of time to pick up her two young daughters at day care.

When she saw the man waving, she stopped and rolled down her window. The hood of his white 18-wheeler was up, and it seemed he was having truck trouble.

"I was talking to a friend on my cellphone, and I said, `Call me back.'"

The truck driver told her he needed to use her cellphone, but first he asked her to help him with his truck by getting in and holding down the clutch.

"You're on your exit, you're almost home. You're comfortable. Life is good," she said, now shaking her head at the decision to help him. But everyone she knows has stopped to help a stranded motorist on that rural portion of the highway.

She got into the truck and noticed she could reach the clutch. Later, she would realize it was because her attacker was short, only 5-feet-6. A moment later, he attacked her.

"He pushed me in, and I was still holding onto the steering wheel," she said. "I could feel the pistol in my back."

She could hear cars driving by, locals on their way home from work. But no one else stopped. She hoped someone would recognize her car.

Meanwhile, her son called her husband and said, "Mommy hasn't picked up the girls from day care."

She was always meticulously on time, and her husband knew something was wrong. He got into his car and headed to the day care.

When the attacker forced her into the truck, the woman struggled with him, but he struck her on the side of the head and ear so hard she saw stars.

She pretended to be knocked unconscious. But opened one eye as she lay there.

Then she spied her cellphone, which had fallen in a crack of the center console during the initial struggle. She saw a pen and tried to grab it, thinking perhaps she'd stab him with it, but she fumbled it and it fell. Finally, she clutched the phone and dialed 911. She screamed for help.

He struck her in the face. He took the phone. And he blindfolded her and tied her hands and feet after that. She remembers the reek of a sickly cologne, and that the inside of his truck smelled like maple syrup.

Then, the truck began to move. It left the exit ramp before state troopers could get to the spot where the 911 call was made..

"OK, I'm dying," she thought to herself. "How is he going to kill me? Is it going to be torture?"

Her arms tied, she prayed.

When the truck stopped, her attacker took off her pants and sweater. She knew what was going to happen next.

"You try to think of someone else, anything," she said softly. "I told him I had AIDS and he punched me."

He put on a condom to avoid his DNA being detected, she said.

After the rape, he told her he was going to "dispose of you because I don't want to go back to prison."

"I bargained for my life. I told him I never saw him," she said. "I told him I won't tell anyone. You bargain."

He told her to go to sleep, and the truck began to move again.

"I just laid there. I prayed from that point," she said.

The truck stopped near the truck stop at Exit 71. She recognized where she was. She could hear trucks passing by.

Her attacker untied her feet, allowed her to put her pants and sweater back on. Then they walked up a hill to some trees. He tied her hands to the front of a tree, and warned her he'd kill her if she moved. But as soon as she heard the truck start, she began working on the rope.

It didn't take her long to get free. Shakily, she grabbed a cigarette from her pocket, lit it and began to walk down the hill for help. The first vehicles she saw were all tractor-trailers. She was terrified.

Finally, she saw a car coming down the road near the truck stop and she stood in front of the driver, waving crazily, the way her attacker had.

"I was just raped," she managed to blurt out. Then the tears came.​

i just got off the phone with det. betterini with the new britain police dpt. he says she has been checked against crystal, and it is not her. he seems to think she is from out of the country but he has no leads. he said she died a horrible death . he asked me to take his number and call if we have any more potential matches. he was so nice and so compassionate, and really wants to identify this girl. also my emails did not go unnoticed, he remembered me sending in my info. a few months back. so that's a good sign that the tips are being checked out. i told him about websleuths too, and how many smart people were on here putting their heads together to help solve some of these mysteries. he also told me that since the internet, the police dept's do not receive the flyers of missing persons anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain