Exxon Protesters in Dallas

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Protesters wearing barrels greeted Exxon Mobil Corp. shareholders as they gathered in downtown Dallas Wednesday for the oil giant's annual meeting.

A melting Exxon sculpture to symbolize the effects of global warming sat among protesters outside the company's shareholder meeting Wednesday. Click here to watch video of the protest. Demonstrators stood near the entrance to the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center and yelled at arriving shareholders and executives, objecting to what they see as the company's lack of investment in alternative forms of energy.

Topics of the meeting are scheduled to include several resolutions from dissident shareholders on environmental and executive compensation issues. Some of the same proposals have failed to win majority support in past years.

The meeting marks the public debut of new chairman and chief executive Rex Tillerson. He took over in January when longtime CEO Lee Raymond retired. Raymond's confrontations with dissident shareholders were a staple of past meetings.

Outside the meeting, behind sign-covered barricades and a melting Exxon ice sculpture, demonstrators spoke of issues like global warming. Liz Branch, a Dallas Peace Center volunteer, explained that the organization was “mourning the death of the planet.”

more at:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/060106dnbusexxon.3e0f8a53.html

I SWEAR I DIDN'T PROTEST, BUT I DID HAVE TO DRIVE BY A LITTLE WHILE AGO . . . :D

Toby said:
Did they bus in, fly in, or walk?

LOL !!

:p

I am sure they would never use cars or planes and contribute to global warming while protesting it.....

I think this is why they're so upset:

Exxon is giving Lee Raymond one of the most generous retirement packages in history, nearly $400 million, including pension, stock options and other perks, such as a $1 million consulting deal, two years of home security, personal security, a car and driver, and use of a corporate jet for professional purposes.

Raymond, however, was confronted with caustic complaints about his compensation.

"In 2004, Mr. Raymond, your bonus was over $3.6 million," Sen. Barbara Boxer said.

That was before new corporate documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission that revealed Raymond's retirement deal and his $51.1 million paycheck in 2005. That's equivalent to $141,000 a day, nearly $6,000 an hour. It's almost more than five times what the CEO of Chevron made.

and for his time at the helm. . . this is what he's done:

Between 1882 and 2002, ExxonMobil's operations and the burning of its products released an estimated 20.3 billion tons of carbon - or about five percent of global carbon dioxide emissions.

ExxonMobil has funded at least 40 organizations that either have sought to undermine mainstream scientific findings on global warming or have affiliated with a small group of "skeptics" who continue to do so.

In June 2005, ExxonMobil hired Philip Cooney, a former lobbyist for the American Petroleum Institute who resigned as Chief of Staff of the White House Council on Environmental Quality after it was revealed that he had edited government reports on global warming to reflect the oil industry's position.

ExxonMobil is still trying to get out of the $4-$5 billion in punitive damages awarded by a court in 1994 to fishermen, Alaskan Natives, and others injured by the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill.

more at:

http://www.exxposeexxon.com/dailyfacts.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304