IN - Four adults, 3 kids found murdered in Indianapolis home, 1 June 2006

(INDIANAPOLIS) An Indianapolis police spokesman confirms that children were among several people killed inside a house on the city's east side.

Media reports say officers found seven people fatally shot execution-style inside the home last night. Authorities would not confirm the number of people killed or give details on their ages or relationships.

No arrests were immediately made.

http://www.wishtv.com/global/story.asp?s=4978930

What in the world is going on these days? It seem that every day another family has been slaughtered in their home. I don't know if this was a family but it won't surprise me if it is. It's just horrible.

Bobbisangel said:
What in the world is going on these days? It seem that every day another family has been slaughtered in their home. I don't know if this was a family but it won't surprise me if it is. It's just horrible.
It was a family. And yes it is horrible. :(

Seven family members, including three children, were shot to death in their home on the city's east side, and police said Friday they were seeking two suspects.

The children, ages 5, 8 and 11, were found in a bed late Thursday, while the adults were found throughout the home, police said.

Indianapolis Police Chief Michael Spears said authorities were seeking Desmond Turner, 28, of Indianapolis, for questioning. Another suspect who was not identified also was being sought.

Deputy Chief Tim Foley said Turner had a history of arrests on charges including assault with bodily fluids and had served more than a year for a gun violation.

Police identified the adult victims as Emma Valdez, 46; her husband, Alberto Covarrubias, 56; Flora Alderran, 22, Valdez' daughter; and Magno Aldarran, 29, Flora's husband.

The children were identified as Luis Aldarran, 5, Flora Alderran's son; and Alberto Covarrubias, 11, and David Covarrubias, 8 or 9.
Full article: click here

It's so disturbing. I'm very close to Indy and was horrified when I heard this on the news. How someone could do this is unimaginable. It's a sad thing that this is happening all too often. Babies, just innocent babies. Probably hiding under a blanket on the one bed. It's terrible. The SOBs that did this need to be captured quickly. Someone knows where they are, someone. :(

I'm also approximetly 30 miles south of Indy. I was scared when I had heard that they hadn't captured them. I pray they capture them soon.
Amy

TKSands said:
It's so disturbing. I'm very close to Indy and was horrified when I heard this on the news. How someone could do this is unimaginable. It's a sad thing that this is happening all too often. Babies, just innocent babies. Probably hiding under a blanket on the one bed. It's terrible. The SOBs that did this need to be captured quickly. Someone knows where they are, someone. :(

shadowraiths said:
It was a family. And yes it is horrible. :(

Full article: click here
Deputy Chief Tim Foley said Turner had a history of arrests on charges including assault with bodily fluids and had served more than a year for a gun violation.

Assault with bodily fluids???? Geez!

Dark Knight said:

sounds like possible fece flinging from a jail cell?
5.gif

What a history this guy has! Pointing a firearm, criminal recklessness, possession of cocaine, carrying a handgun without a license, resisting arrest....

Offender lookup result:
http://tinyurl.com/fvrx5

Dark Knight said:
Hi Dark Knight,
This is a serious matter for Correctional Officers.We went to the Union about this.Inmates were getting away with this.A friend of mine and fellow co-worker had feces and urine thrown on him and he had to endure all kinds of tests and mental torture wondering if he got infected by the incident,not to mention his family going through hell along with him..Hepatitis and other diseases are harbored in a large percent of the inmate population.

Bill would protect guards from inmates tossing waste
news link

Published May 4, 2005

MONTPELIER -- A prison guard unwittingly drinks iced tea into which an inmate has urinated. Inmates throw feces and spit at officers.

It doesn't happen every day, but it happens often enough and is traumatizing and dangerous enough that Vermont prison guards have turned to legislators for protection against those behaviors.

The House Judiciary Committee is discussing whether to make such acts a specific crime after prosecutors said the best they can do is charge an inmate with disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor with a sentence of 60 days.

"For the officers working to have this happen to them in front of potentially 49 other inmates and staff, it demoralizes them on the spot," said Dominic Damato, administrative supervisor at the Southern State Correctional Facility in Springfield.

Assault with bodily fluids poses a health risk for the employees because of the potential for spreading diseases such as hepatitis or AIDS, Damato said. It also makes retention of prison guards a difficult task, he said.

Dave Bellini, a 27-year Corrections employee, said being hit with bodily fluids is worse than being punched. "I've been spit at. It's degrading. It's humiliating," he said. "If this happened to John Q. Public on his job, there'd be an outcry."

Damato said Springfield has recorded three incidents of inmates' misusing bodily fluids in the 19 months the prison has been open. Once an incident occurs, other inmates tend to razz the guard. "They usually ask to be moved to another unit," Damato said of the guards.

Jane Woodruff, executive director of the Department of State's Attorneys, told the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday that prosecutors lack the ammunition to deal with the crime. "Disorderly conduct is the only crime that addresses this behavior now," she said. "I have spoken with prosecutors who do not believe that adequately addresses the behavior."

Corrections staff can discipline inmates who misbehave, such as putting them in segregation, denying privileges and not recommending them for parole, Perry said, but many inmates who do this sort of thing are in segregation, and sanctions have little or no impact.

Corrections Commissioner Rob Hofmann said the department is looking at new ways of disciplining inmates for unacceptable behavior, including the possibility of feeding them a "nutrition loaf" instead of the traditional meal. The loaf would provide all the nutrition required without the flavor. "It would encourage them to change their behavior," Hofmann said.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman William Lippert, D-Hinesburg, said Tuesday that he doesn't foresee making the crime a felony, but perhaps a higher-level misdemeanor than disorderly conduct.

Defender General Matt Valerio, whose office represents inmates, said he opposes making the crime a felony, arguing that it would not serve as a deterrent to the type of inmates who typically engage in that sort of behavior. "It's the kind of behavior that's a misdemeanor," he said.

VSEA Union law request

VSEA Seeks Felony Charge For Inmates Hurling Bodily Fluids At COs VSEA is actively lobbying state legislators to charge inmates who throw bodily fluids at COs with a felony...

The Vermont State Employees Association (VSEA) is actively lobbying state legislators to include language in the Omnibus Corrections bill (S. 156) that would charge inmates found guilty of throwing bodily fluids at correctional officers with a felony offense. Currently, no law exists in Vermont to punish inmates who throw urine, feces, blood, saliva, or any other bodily fluid at a Vermont correctional officer (CO). Across the nation, a majority of states have already enacted laws to help prevent the vulgar practice.
“VSEA represents hundreds of correctional officers throughout the state, and some of those members approached us about helping them get legislation enacted to stop inmates from throwing bodily fluids at—or on—them,” explained VSEA President Ed Stanak. “Not only is this an extremely disgusting practice, but it can also present a very real health risk to officers and their family members.”

dark_shadows said:
Hi Dark Knight,
This is a serious matter for Correctional Officers.We went to the Union about this.Inmates were getting away with this.A friend of mine and fellow co-worker had feces and urine thrown on him and he had to endure all kinds of tests and mental torture wondering if he got infected by the incident,not to mention his family going through hell along with him..Hepatitis and other diseases are harbored in a large percent of the inmate population.

Bill would protect guards from inmates tossing waste
news link

Published May 4, 2005

MONTPELIER -- A prison guard unwittingly drinks iced tea into which an inmate has urinated. Inmates throw feces and spit at officers.

It doesn't happen every day, but it happens often enough and is traumatizing and dangerous enough that Vermont prison guards have turned to legislators for protection against those behaviors.

The House Judiciary Committee is discussing whether to make such acts a specific crime after prosecutors said the best they can do is charge an inmate with disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor with a sentence of 60 days.

"For the officers working to have this happen to them in front of potentially 49 other inmates and staff, it demoralizes them on the spot," said Dominic Damato, administrative supervisor at the Southern State Correctional Facility in Springfield.

Assault with bodily fluids poses a health risk for the employees because of the potential for spreading diseases such as hepatitis or AIDS, Damato said. It also makes retention of prison guards a difficult task, he said.

Dave Bellini, a 27-year Corrections employee, said being hit with bodily fluids is worse than being punched. "I've been spit at. It's degrading. It's humiliating," he said. "If this happened to John Q. Public on his job, there'd be an outcry."

Damato said Springfield has recorded three incidents of inmates' misusing bodily fluids in the 19 months the prison has been open. Once an incident occurs, other inmates tend to razz the guard. "They usually ask to be moved to another unit," Damato said of the guards.

Jane Woodruff, executive director of the Department of State's Attorneys, told the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday that prosecutors lack the ammunition to deal with the crime. "Disorderly conduct is the only crime that addresses this behavior now," she said. "I have spoken with prosecutors who do not believe that adequately addresses the behavior."

Corrections staff can discipline inmates who misbehave, such as putting them in segregation, denying privileges and not recommending them for parole, Perry said, but many inmates who do this sort of thing are in segregation, and sanctions have little or no impact.

Corrections Commissioner Rob Hofmann said the department is looking at new ways of disciplining inmates for unacceptable behavior, including the possibility of feeding them a "nutrition loaf" instead of the traditional meal. The loaf would provide all the nutrition required without the flavor. "It would encourage them to change their behavior," Hofmann said.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman William Lippert, D-Hinesburg, said Tuesday that he doesn't foresee making the crime a felony, but perhaps a higher-level misdemeanor than disorderly conduct.

Defender General Matt Valerio, whose office represents inmates, said he opposes making the crime a felony, arguing that it would not serve as a deterrent to the type of inmates who typically engage in that sort of behavior. "It's the kind of behavior that's a misdemeanor," he said.

VSEA Union law request

VSEA Seeks Felony Charge For Inmates Hurling Bodily Fluids At COs VSEA is actively lobbying state legislators to charge inmates who throw bodily fluids at COs with a felony...

The Vermont State Employees Association (VSEA) is actively lobbying state legislators to include language in the Omnibus Corrections bill (S. 156) that would charge inmates found guilty of throwing bodily fluids at correctional officers with a felony offense. Currently, no law exists in Vermont to punish inmates who throw urine, feces, blood, saliva, or any other bodily fluid at a Vermont correctional officer (CO). Across the nation, a majority of states have already enacted laws to help prevent the vulgar practice.
“VSEA represents hundreds of correctional officers throughout the state, and some of those members approached us about helping them get legislation enacted to stop inmates from throwing bodily fluids at—or on—them,” explained VSEA President Ed Stanak. “Not only is this an extremely disgusting practice, but it can also present a very real health risk to officers and their family members.”
That's just horrible. I hope they have some serious punishment for that. Sounds like in Indiana there might be if this guy was charged with that, unless he did it outside of jail. :eek:

Hi Dark Knight,

It is always so very nice to hear from you.
The punishment that the feces throws have are a few days in segragation and the "nutraloaf".We just had someone eat that a couple of days ago_Of course the inmates are saying that it is inhumane.Go figure.Here is an article for you if you would like to read it.
21st century variation to prison "bread and water"
This fall the Department of Corrections began serving "nutraloaf" — a mixture of bread, vegetables, beans and other ingredients — to prisoners who have thrown feces, urine, utensils or food at corrections officers. That seems to be a growing problem, particularly at the state's newest prison facility in Springfield, according to officials.

Because nutraloaf can be served without trays or utensils it takes away the chance to hurl such objects at prison staff or other inmates.

Dark Knight,thank-you for the post.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I live about eight miles from where this happened. It happened near downtown Indianapolis and I live on the southside of Indianapolis.
An updated story can be found here.
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060602/NEWS01/60602001

If you read through the whole article at the end there is a list of the multiple murders hear in Indianapolis for the past many years. Amazing some you forget about.

So Horrific.
So Sad

dark_shadows said:
Hi Dark Knight,

It is always so very nice to hear from you.
The punishment that the feces throws have are a few days in segragation and the "nutraloaf".We just had someone eat that a couple of days ago_Of course the inmates are saying that it is inhumane.Go figure.Here is an article for you if you would like to read it.
21st century variation to prison "bread and water"
This fall the Department of Corrections began serving "nutraloaf" — a mixture of bread, vegetables, beans and other ingredients — to prisoners who have thrown feces, urine, utensils or food at corrections officers. That seems to be a growing problem, particularly at the state's newest prison facility in Springfield, according to officials.

Because nutraloaf can be served without trays or utensils it takes away the chance to hurl such objects at prison staff or other inmates.

Dark Knight,thank-you for the post.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
I have the utmost respect for correctional officers and other employees, I dont think I could do it....

michelle said:
I have the utmost respect for correctional officers and other employees, I dont think I could do it....
I'd have shot them if they did that to me, lol.

michelle said:
Michelle!,
How are you?
I want to thank-you so much for the post,it means a lot to me.
The life of a Correctional Officer is not easy.We have a very tough time indead.
We have so much to deal with,spur of the moment decisions without second guessing or doubt(second guessing and doubt are not a luxury that we have).We have to let our families know at the last minute that we will not be home on time and have to cancel family functions because of forced overtime.That could be a 16 hour day.
Everyday is different.Anything can happen.We have many roles.I could go on and on............
Respectfully,
dark shadows

dark_shadows said:
Michelle!,
How are you?
I want to thank-you so much for the post,it means a lot to me.
The life of a Correctional Officer is not easy.We have a very tough time indead.
We have so much to deal with,spur of the moment decisions without second guessing or doubt(second guessing and doubt are not a luxury that we have).We have to let our families know at the last minute that we will not be home on time and have to cancel family functions because of forced overtime.That could be a 16 hour day.
Everyday is different.Anything can happen.We have many roles.I could go on and on............
Respectfully,
dark shadows
Hello, I am fine and you? My career in Nursing is a career a lot of people would not want either, but very rewarding at times. I am too much of a chicken to do what you do, it has to be scary. They should come out with a reality show of a Day in the Life of a Correctional Officer so people can see what you guys put up with and do....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back