Me & My Flying Buddy (SNAKE Thread Merged)

When Monty Coles lifted his Piper Cherokee into the air for a leisurely Saturday flight over the West Virginia countryside, he didn’t know a blacksnake had stowed away inside the airplane’s instrument panel.

“As far as I was concerned, everything was fine,” said Coles, a 62-year-old private pilot from Cross Lanes. “I did a very cautious pre-flight check on the plane because it has a fairly new engine. I didn’t find a single thing out of order.”

As Coles prepared to land for gas in Gallipolis, Ohio, the 4 1/2-foot snake revealed itself.

“I was about 10 miles out of Gallipolis, 3,000 feet off the ground, and I’d just finished scanning the instruments,” he said. “I looked up and saw the snake’s head sticking out of a hole in the instrument panel.”

At that moment, Coles said his thoughts flashed back to his flight training 25 years ago. “Nothing in any of the manuals ever described anything like this,” he deadpanned. But [instructor] Benny Mallory gave me the best advice I ever got — ‘No matter what happens, fly the plane.’ ”

As the snake poked its head farther outside the panel, Coles tried to whack it with a handheld radio.

“Batteries went flying everywhere, and the snake dropped down out of the instrument panel and landed at my feet under the rudder pedals,” Coles said. “I tried to open my door and kick it out, but it shot across the cabin floor and climbed up the door on the other side.”

While maintaining control of the plane with one hand, Coles used his other hand to grab the snake just behind its head.

“There was no way I was letting that thing go. It coiled all around my arm, and its tail grabbed hold of a lever on the floor and started pulling,” Coles said. “I think it was as scared as I was. After all, it had never flown before.”

With one hand on the steering yoke and the other wrestling the snake, the by-then-desperate pilot radioed ahead for help.

There's more at the link provided by Welder 79.

I believe I would have had a heart attack!

Marine Mom said:
There's more at the link provided by Welder 79.

I believe I would have had a heart attack!
..........:) Welcome to Wild And Wonderfull West Virginia,,I killed black snake's every bit of 7 foot long, Black Timber Diamond Rattersnake's 19 ratter's and a button as big round as one of them liter's of soft drink's you can buy, plus i never seen them but they say we got bigfoot's or should it be called bigfeet's, The Flatwood's Monster, The old Moundsville state prison one of the most violent prison's in USA in it's day that they say is the most hunted or one of the most hunted place's on the eastern seaboard....And we never can forget about world famous Mothman from Pt. Pleasant W.V.That is supected in someway of making a bridge full of Christmas time shoper's & end of work day worker's to fall in the Ohio River Killing i think 30 or so people Iam not sure "the curse of Chief Cornstock" and if you get & feel brave go to Civil War site's like old and very spooky Harper's Ferry where John Brown Was Hung and Droop Mt. Battlefield where sometime's in a very foggy late night or early morning (around 2:30 to 7:30 am)there is a chance you will be stoped by Confederate troop's on horseback that will look very mean at you for a min. or too then slowly ride away and you can see a Confederate soldier smoking while leaning on a civil war cannon sometime's at night ....I own property near to that battlefield..just to name a few..

I wonder if this snake is related to the one that was found wandering around the Wal-mart garden centre on the other thread!! :eek: :eek:

:laugh:
lizziedripping said:
I wonder if this snake is related to the one that was found wandering around the Wal-mart garden centre on the other thread!! :eek: :eek:

LOL!

I posted about the same snake on this thread on Me and my snake

I can just imagine the radio call for help.

"HELP! A snake is in my cockpit!"

answer:

"Gee, that's too bad."

What could anyone do to help?

And movie critics and other folks were making fun of Samuel L. Jackson's "Snakes on the Plane" movie......guess they can all eat their words now ;)

Imagine being the Air Traffic Controller getting that call-you'd really wonder if it was a prank.

Some people I know wouldn't let him make an emergency landing - fearing a snake in the airport more than a toxic virus or something. They'd shoot him down!

Dang, he let it go in Ohio! We don't need more snakes!
Wonder what kind of snake it was? It must have been a long one.

4 1/2 foot long!! :eek: I think that I would probably have crashed the plane. I am deathly afraid of snakes!!

Eoanthropus Dawsoni said:
Oh My! I've had wasps in the cockpit, but thank God, never a snake!

Well, that's enough to crash into the side of a mountain! Glad you're alive to tell the tale. :)

No mountains in North Dakota!

It wasn't too bad, I just opened a window on one side and the door on the other side. The cross ventilation got rid of them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back