Sleeping Pill May Reverse Comatose Patients, Study Says (01 Jun, 2006)

wondering22

Reaction score
Sleeping Pill May Reverse Comatose Patients, Study Says

by Dawn Rizzoni
01 Jun, 2006

****(CNSNews.com) - Scientific researchers have revealed in the medical journal NeuroRehabilitation that a commonly-used sleeping pill, zolpidem (brand name Ambien), can be used to temporarily awaken patients in a persistent vegetative state (PVS), coma, or other brain-injured state.

The discovery has attracted the interest of The Terri Schindler-Schiavo Foundation for Health Care Ethics. The Foundation was named in memory of the brain-damaged Florida woman who died in March 2005 after her husband Michael Schiavo won a long legal battle to cut her off from all nutrition.

In light of the medical breakthrough, The Schindler-Schiavo Foundation has called for a moratorium of ...

ARTICLE CONTINUES....
http://www.CNSNEWS.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=/SpecialReports/archive/200606/SPE20060601a.html

Fascinating news-Ambien scares the hell out of me but I'm glad it can help Coma patients.

I wonder if these patients who had been diagnosed as persistent vegetative but were probably only temporarily unresponsive instead had their brain activity tested and if it showed as hopelessly damaged. It's odd to me that these doctors are saying that they are misdiagnosing but they base so much of that on those tests. This is a great finding and I wish they had told what eventually happened to those who woke up.

ellen13 said:
Fascinating news-Ambien scares the hell out of me but I'm glad it can help Coma patients.
If you think about what it's doing for comatose patients, imagine what it's doing to the average American who can't sleep at night with a normal working brain. I used to take it and stopped for many reasons. But like I said, I'm glad it's working for those patients.

There's an earlier case where a comatose man woke up in a dentist's chair after being given a shot of Valium:

A 45-year-old Wisconsin man who had spent 8 years in a vegetative state awakened after being injected with Valium during a routine dental procedure March 12, 1990. The man has been awakened a number of times since then with injections of Valium. A former airline pilot, the man was injured in a car accident. When medicated, he can remain fully conscious for up to 12 hours at a time and is able to walk and perform complicated math calculations. ("Doctors puzzled by man's recovery from vegetative state", The (Fargo-Moorhead) Forum, 3/29/90, p. A17.]

http://www.users.interport.net/a/l/allweb50m/issues/eol07.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back