NY - Mother charged after girl left at birthday party

SewingDeb

"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
Reaction score
Mother charged after girl left at birthday party

SYRACUSE, N.Y. A Syracuse mother who dropped off her daughter at a birthday party and never returned has been charged with child abandonment.

Police say 28-year-old Quosenna Robinson left 4-year-old Heniyah Williams at the party on May 27th.

The next day, Robinson's apartment was empty. The birthday family decided to keep the girl.

Police got involved yesterday when the girl was reported missing when she wandered away. She was upset and asking for her mother.

~more at link~

SewingDeb said:
Mother charged after girl left at birthday party

SYRACUSE, N.Y. A Syracuse mother who dropped off her daughter at a birthday party and never returned has been charged with child abandonment.

Police say 28-year-old Quosenna Robinson left 4-year-old Heniyah Williams at the party on May 27th.

The next day, Robinson's apartment was empty. The birthday family decided to keep the girl.

Police got involved yesterday when the girl was reported missing when she wandered away. She was upset and asking for her mother.

~more at link~
Link doesn't work for me....:eek:

Who lets the parents of a bunch of four-year olds drop the kid off and leave? When my kids were that age, the parents of the children invited had to stay and watch their kids. The mom throwing the party doesn't have time to look after all of them. :confused:

Jeana (DP) said:
Who lets the parents of a bunch of four-year olds drop the kid off and leave? When my kids were that age, the parents of the children invited had to stay and watch their kids. The mom throwing the party doesn't have time to look after all of them. :confused:

And who just decides to keep a child, that makes no sense.

I thought my life was like a TV show sometimes, but I truly can't top some of the stupid things that I read here. Is that the BEST she could come up with if she couldn't handle being a parent anymore? Like there are no other options...

Jeana (DP) said:
This sorta happened to me once. I didn't let the woman just drop her off. It was on the invite that all parents has to stay. I couldn't watch 10 5 year olds by myself.

This woman was a little tipsy I thought when she showed up. I called her husband to come get them and expressed concern that she'd been driving while drunk with the daughter. When I asked her for her keys she turned them over without any upset at all. She said she was going to the restroom and I went back to the living room. When her dh got there to get them about 2 mins later she was no where to be found. She's just walked out the back door and left her daughter there.

I just thank G-d I had her keys and she didn't take the little girl with her. Some people just don't care and aren't real bright. She called her dh a few hours later and was sitting in the waffle house down the road. No excuse as to why she'd left. I was so glad when they got divorced and he got custody. Their lifes calmed down a lot after that.

I just don't understand the keeping the child though. Who'd do that?

Mama that is sooooo weird!!

I agree with you all... little kid Bdays ... I always invite parents ..

TisHerself said:
And who just decides to keep a child, that makes no sense.
The same fools who believe that she left a note. People should have to take a test to become a parent. I think both of these people FAIL!
:doh:

Dear Parents of birthday child:

I left my daughter at your party, would you please return her to my new address. TIA
Oops... forgot to include my NEW address.

Nope, makes no sense to me.

Some people haven't a clue; and the poster who said there should be a test is correct.

That poor child. It would be wonderful if someone could adopt her and show her a real life. How chaotic hers must have been in her few short years so far.

Even if she had left a note she didn't go back to the birthday house for her daughter when her daughter never did come to the new house. Evidentally it didn't bother her at all to just drop her daughter off and move on.

Can't think of what the birthday parents were thinking. You can't just keep a child because the mother didn't pick her up. If the little girl hadn't wandered off and LE hadn't been called I wonder how this story would have gone? Would the little girl have just lived with the birthday family until she graduated??? How strange.

Bobbisangel said:
If the little girl hadn't wandered off and LE hadn't been called I wonder how this story would have gone? Would the little girl have just lived with the birthday family until she graduated??? How strange.
Or until they got tired of her, or until she got in trouble for something, or until she needed medical care. Then they would start hollering that she didn't belong to them.

I ran a preschool for gifted youngsters for many years and whenever we had a special party, I had all the kids without the parents. (Kids are much better behaved when the parents aren't there.) Anyway, I had a parent leave their TWO boys with me and not call or come by for several days at a time. It kept getting to longer and longer periods of time until I had the kids nearly 24/7 for 5 years. I loved those boys like my own and it was VERY obvious that they were better off with me than with their parents, for any length of time.

So, to answer the question - who would just keep a kid... my question is, who wouldn't?

Well obviously the mother found someone who cared about her kids better than she did, you. It was a build up of trust over time where she felt sure you would take care of them. You impacted their lives with nothing but good, and there is nothing wrong with that.

This is different in that I'm sure the mothers didn't know each other that well. I certainly didn't know the mother that left her kid with me so well that she could be sure I'd take her daughter in. The girl had another parent, grandparents and other family that loved her. Don't ya think they'd wonder where she was? I knew the father better than the mother since we had gone to school together so I was sure he'd want to know and it was my responsiblity to make sure she was with her family.

Personally, I didn't want another child. I certainly didn't want one that way. But if a parent had done what the mother did with you would I have just brushed them off? No, I think I would have done the same thing you did. Again, it was a longer period of time and you prolly knew the mother better.

I'm pretty sure it was less that she trusted me and more that she was getting away with it. She wasn't worried about those boys at all. :-(

Being a single Mom with only one kid and wanting another, I kind of WISH someone would dump off their kid to me now. :)

I too had an experience where a set of parents left their children with me! This was an arranged situation where the children were to stay at my house for 2 weeks during the summer while their parents went on vacation with another couple - flying in a small plane to Florida and back. The kids were 12 and 14 and so were mine, so the kids were happy.

Those parents called only ONCE and that was after a week had gone by. Oh, but it gets better - two weeks came and went and no parents, no phone call, no nothing!

The younger child, a girl, was starting to get weepy, crying that she missed her mother and I had NO idea how to even begin to get ahold of the parents. There was an older sister whom I eventually tracked down by going over and sitting in front of the parents' house. She said "Oh, yeah, they called the other night and said they were going to stay a little longer!"

They finally came home after 2 weeks and five days - and after that I began to work on distancing my kids from the friendship because I felt the parents were irresponsible.

GlitchWizard said:
I ran a preschool for gifted youngsters for many years and whenever we had a special party, I had all the kids without the parents. (Kids are much better behaved when the parents aren't there.) Anyway, I had a parent leave their TWO boys with me and not call or come by for several days at a time. It kept getting to longer and longer periods of time until I had the kids nearly 24/7 for 5 years. I loved those boys like my own and it was VERY obvious that they were better off with me than with their parents, for any length of time.

So, to answer the question - who would just keep a kid... my question is, who wouldn't?

You have a beautiful heart!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back