CT CT - EMANUEL WEBB, East End Stranger, Bridgeport, early 1990s

opme

Reaction score
http://cbs3.com/nationalwire/ConnecticutKillings-aa/resources_news_html

Wednesday June 07, 2006
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) New DNA testing has linked a Georgia man to the killings of four Connecticut women in the early 1990s, and investigators believe he may have been involved in up to six other slayings here.

Emanuel Lovell Webb was charged recently with murder in the killing of Elizabeth Gandy, 34, on April 19, 1993, prosecutor Jonathan Benedict said.

Webb, 40, is in prison in Georgia on a parole violation. Benedict said authorities were discussing his extradition to Connecticut.

Webb was linked to Gandy's slaying after cold-case detectives began reinvestigating the killings of about 15 Bridgeport women in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Benedict said.

During that time, young women were found dead in vacant buildings and lots in the city's seedy East End.

Webb knew some of the women. Others he met through work, friends or at bars.

``One of the commonalities was him,'' Bridgeport police Lt. James Viadero said. ``He happened to know them or had met him or was the last person to have see them. He just kept on popping up.''

Detectives discovered that 10 homicides from that period had similar characteristics, and sent evidence from four of the cases to the FBI to compare evidence with DNA profiles of convicted felons nationwide. Such profiles were not available in the early 1990s.

The identification system recorded DNA ``hits'' for Webb in the killings of Gandy and three other Bridgeport women: Sharon Cunningham, Minnie Sutton and Sheila Etheridge.

Police are continuing to look into the homicides of Cunningham, Sutton, Etheridge and other women killed around the same time, Benedict said.

Webb lived with his sister, Bernice Snead, and a girlfriend in the East End from 1987 through 1993, the Connecticut Post reported Wednesday.

More at link above ..............

This is great news on some of these cold cases

From courant.com

--------------------

Arrest In Killing Spree

--------------------

Man Is Suspect In As Many As 10 Bridgeport Homicides

By DAVE ALTIMARI

Courant Staff Writer

June 8, 2006

For more than seven years during the late 1980s and early 1990s, an unknown assailant systematically raped and strangled women in the east end of Bridgeport.

During that time, Emanuel Lovell Webb lived a seemingly routine life, sharing an apartment with his sister not far from where some bodies were found and working as a security guard in nearby Fairfield. Because Webb never ran afoul of the law, he never appeared on the radar screen of a task force desperately searching for clues as the body count reached 16.

Today, Webb, 40, sits in a Georgia prison awaiting a return to Connecticut to face charges that he killed at least one of the women. Authorities say Webb has been conclusively linked by DNA to one of the killings, and preliminary results have tied him to three others. Authorities now say Webb is a suspect in as many as 10 of the slayings. If he's ever charged and convicted in those cases, Webb would stand as the most prolific serial killer in state history.

Webb's DNA-related arrest earlier this week came as DNA testing was helping to free a Hartford man who was convicted of kidnapping and rape in 1989.

The long-awaited arrest in the Bridgeport case was set in motion in 1994, when Webb moved to Georgia to be with his mother and was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for sexually assaulting and strangling a woman in that state.

While in a Georgia prison, Webb's DNA was entered into the FBI's national databank of convicted felons. He was paroled in 2001 and returned to Bridgeport before moving to the South.

Two years ago, investigators caught the break they had long sought. A random check of DNA that had been found under the fingernails of one of the victims, Elizabeth "Maxine" Gandy, 33, directly matched Webb's DNA in the national databank, police said. Preliminary results showed that Webb's DNA was a match in three more of the east end killings.

"His name never came up once in any of these murders until the DNA match," Bridgeport State's Attorney Jonathan Benedict said Wednesday.

The three other victims with a preliminary DNA link to Webb are Sharon Cunningham, 39 at the time of her death, Minnie Sutton, 29, and Sheila Etheredge, 29, authorities said. All four victims were strangled. Gandy and Sutton were sexually assaulted. All lived in the east end.

Benedict said police are awaiting final DNA tests from the Connecticut Forensic Laboratory before charging Webb in the three additional cases.

It is unclear whether there is DNA evidence to test in any of the other six unsolved homicides in which Webb is a suspect. He is a suspect in those cases because of similarities in the killings.

"Those cases haven't been run through yet, but we will have to do so in the near future," Benedict said.

Earlier this week, Webb was served with an arrest warrant charging him with Gandy's death. Webb was sent back to prison in Georgia in November 2005 after violating his parole. Officials in Georgia said Webb's parole was revoked for illegal drug use and failure to report a residency change.

He could be brought to Connecticut as early as next week, depending on whether he waives extradition rights.

Webb can expect Gandy's family to be waiting for him in court. Three days before she was killed, Gandy's second grandchild had been born. Gandy's death left her daughter, Natarsha, then 18, to care for her two sisters, 14-year-old Tequea and 13-year-old Kashunda, as well as Natarsha's own infant son and Tequea's 3-day-old baby.

"I was going to see my sister and the baby at the hospital when the phone rang, and I just knew that it was bad," Natarsha Gandy recalled Wednesday of the day she heard about her mother's death.

The Gandy family wasn't shocked to hear that Webb had been arrested. Bridgeport detectives had shown them a picture of Webb more than a year ago and asked if he looked familiar.

"When the police showed me his picture, I know he knew my sister somehow," Maxine's sister, Lillie Gandy, said. "I lived on the same street as him and used to see him all the time, but I never thought he was a serial killer."

The family described Maxine Gandy as a fighter, a trait that may have helped provide police with a trail to Webb. Benedict said the positive match to Webb came from skin found under her fingernails.

"The day after my sister was killed, [Webb] went to the hospital to get treatment on his hand. My sister fought for her life and she injured him," Lillie Gandy said.

It took nearly two years to get an arrest warrant for Webb because Bridgeport police had to prove that the DNA under Gandy's fingernails was left during the homicide, Benedict said.

Hospital records showing that Webb needed treatment the day after the killing, plus information police developed showing that Webb was in the area on the day Gandy was killed, helped provide enough evidence to support the warrant, Benedict said.

On Wednesday, Natarsha and her sisters gathered at their aunt Lillie's house to talk about the arrest and to remember Maxine Gandy.

"I have mixed emotions because this doesn't bring my mom back," Natarsha said.

From August 2011:

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Old-CSI-clues-could-help-solve-77-murder-1666511.php#page-2

The Georgia parole stemmed from Webb's conviction of involuntary manslaughter in the death of a young woman during what he claimed occurred during rough sex. That death occurred just weeks after Webb, a security guard, left Bridgeport for Georgia in 1994. He spent much of the next seven years in prison.

Webb was brought back to Bridgeport in 2007 and eventually convicted in the murders of Sharon Cunningham, Elizabeth Gandy and Minnie Sutton for which he was sentenced to 60 years in prison.

Yet more than a dozen other murders of women who walked the streets as prostitutes or in search of drugs remain unsolved since 1980.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back