PA - Langston Carraway, 26, stabbed to death, State College, 3 June 2006

Hbgchick

Reaction score
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/14757129.htm

Tell me. Why does the "bikini murder" make national news, but a male 26yo stabbed multiple times (enough for him to bleed to death), the third murder in State College, PA (where there have probably been three in the past 20 years before this) with no suspect and a bizzare comment from the police that "...when we saw what we saw..." doesn't?

Hbgchick said:
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/14757129.htm

Tell me. Why does the "bikini murder" make national news, but a male 26yo stabbed multiple times (enough for him to bleed to death), the third murder in State College, PA (where there have probably been three in the past 20 years before this) with no suspect and a bizzare comment from the police that "...when we saw what we saw..." doesn't?
Not that this is right, just a perception from reading the article - the article is clearly written in a way to indicate that the victim was involved in some manner with some very rough people - in fact the clear implication in the last paragraph leads one to believe it is drug related. I failed to see in this article where the police indicated the victim was stabbed multiple times, but rather the article opens the door to speculation that would tend to lead towards execution style murder ("when we saw what we saw"). Combine that with the implication towards drugs - not many people will care about drug dealers offing each other. I'm just saying the way the article is written - it doesn't make one feel much sympathy. Seriously why the inclusion of the drug reference at the end - especially since it was dismissed ?

With that in mind, the national news is more inclined to focus on that which will grab more attention. News isn't always about the news, it is often more about ratings. We seldom hear anything good about what is going on in the world. The general public IMO, rightly or wrongly, is by nature going to be more disturbed by the murder of an apparently innocent person over the murder of someone who the local press leaves the taste of criminality about. As I said, rightly or wrongly. However three deaths in five months - should attract some attention one would think. JMHO of course.

from the Centre Daily Time
"...Langston Carraway, 26, of apartment 201, died of "exsanguinating hemorrhage" that resulted from a stabbing. Simply put, Carraway bled to death..."
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/14762880.htm

I've found that JohnQ Public seems more interested in female victims than male victims. I hope they find out who did this - and soon!

Drews said Carraway lived with his girlfriend, whose name he could not recall Tuesday.

If he lived with his girlfriend, why did no one see him between noon on Sunday and when his body was found Monday evening? There is no other mention of the girlfriend in the story. I wonder where she was, or if she was involved in some way. The quote about not releasing the cause of death, and then not specifying where he was stabbed, makes me think he was stabbed multiple times somewhere...unusual.

So there has been Tiffney and this young man...who is the third person?

raisincharlie said:
Not that this is right, just a perception from reading the article - the article is clearly written in a way to indicate that the victim was involved in some manner with some very rough people - in fact the clear implication in the last paragraph leads one to believe it is drug related. I failed to see in this article where the police indicated the victim was stabbed multiple times, but rather the article opens the door to speculation that would tend to lead towards execution style murder ("when we saw what we saw"). Combine that with the implication towards drugs - not many people will care about drug dealers offing each other. I'm just saying the way the article is written - it doesn't make one feel much sympathy. Seriously why the inclusion of the drug reference at the end - especially since it was dismissed ?

With that in mind, the national news is more inclined to focus on that which will grab more attention. News isn't always about the news, it is often more about ratings. We seldom hear anything good about what is going on in the world. The general public IMO, rightly or wrongly, is by nature going to be more disturbed by the murder of an apparently innocent person over the murder of someone who the local press leaves the taste of criminality about. As I said, rightly or wrongly. However three deaths in five months - should attract some attention one would think. JMHO of course.
Wow. An "implied drug reference"? "Drug dealers offing each other"? I didn't exactly read that into it. A charge of a small amount of marijuana that was dropped doesn't exactly bring to mind "drug dealer". Also, the neighborhood he lived happens to be where a good friend of mine and her baby son, my mother and dad (retired seniors), and my husband's Aunt and Uncle and their children live, most certainly not an area you would expect to find "drug dealers". (I realize that you can find them anywhere, but it would be very surprising in this middle-to-higher class suburb). He also seemed to be a local kid, his father worked in the Vice Provosts' office. I'm not saying he didn't do drugs, but Immette was wandering around alone drunk in New York city, Taylor Behl was murdered by a "drug dealer", Natalie was hanging out drinking and doing drugs, not to say ANY of them deserved it but I just wonder why they recieve national attention and this boy doesn't.

Hbgchick said:
Wow. An "implied drug reference"? "Drug dealers offing each other"? I didn't exactly read that into it. A charge of a small amount of marijuana that was dropped doesn't exactly bring to mind "drug dealer". Also, the neighborhood he lived happens to be where a good friend of mine and her baby son, my mother and dad (retired seniors), and my husband's Aunt and Uncle and their children live, most certainly not an area you would expect to find "drug dealers". (I realize that you can find them anywhere, but it would be very surprising in this middle-to-higher class suburb). He also seemed to be a local kid, his father worked in the Vice Provosts' office. I'm not saying he didn't do drugs, but Immette was wandering around alone drunk in New York city, Taylor Behl was murdered by a "drug dealer", Natalie was hanging out drinking and doing drugs, not to say ANY of them deserved it but I just wonder why they recieve national attention and this boy doesn't.
Please understand I am not personally implying the drug thing - why I bring it up is I think the linked article iteslf is very poorly done and IMO presents this slant. I'm not at all sure why the writer quoted a neighbor about the "rough people" coming and going. Nor do I believe for one minute that the writer should have even included the fact that the young man had once been caught with a tad of marijuanna. I simply do not see the relevance of either of these so called "facts" in comparison to the FACT that this young man was brutally murdered.

This article really sucked as far as I'm concerned - it threw irrelvant, negative, and speculative things out instead of emphasizing the truth of the situation. Shame on the writer-this young man"s family should be highly upset with this reporter IMO. As for national press coverage - I can't imagine why the national press isn't picking up on it since you have indicated that there have been 3 murders of college students in 5 months - this is what the article should have focused dramatic attention to, it failed miserably.

One thing is definitve about the national press, it favors children (great), women (great) and occasionally (sadly) mentions some young man who disappears from a boat at sea and then proceeds to try and indict the cruise ship line. Bottom line - it's ratings they are after, not news - the more innocent appearing the victim the more outrage and outcry the press can stir up. In the end the outrage and outcry is not a bad thing - but there is no equality when it comes to victims. Thats one reason I visit webslueths - you get it all here.

Absolutely agreed - a TERRIBLE article. The CDT is definitely not known for it's savvy reporting...see the thread on missing DA Ray Gricar.

Anyway, my point was not the quality of the article but the fact that it wasn't national news.

Hbgchick said:
Hi Chickie,

Agree totally with your observations about the type of neighborhood and (at least on the surface) assumptions about the victim--no indication at present that he seems like some low-life drug dealer who doesn't "deserve" national media attention.

Often wonder myself how and why some cases get air time while others fall through the cracks or barely get covered. As you're well aware, the same county this murder occurred in has been missing its "disappeared" DA for over a year now, and Greta Van Susteren can only occasionally squeak out 3 or 4 minutes at the tail end of a program to add a detail or two on a case that's truly as interesting as the Ramsey murder if you dig into it.

The college-age cousin of a friend of ours, Michael Negrete, went missing from his dorm 12/10/99 in California in much the same way Chandra Levy disappeared, but I'd bet most here have never heard his name despite his family's efforts to get his name in the news. http://findmikenow.com/

I hate to say it, but it pays to be pretty and female, preferably blonde, or failing that, it pays to have some "legs" to the story (in Chandra's case, the hint of scandal; in Laci's case, being pregnant, etc.)

Three murders in this particular college town (not a town known for murders) is certainly newsworthy, IMHO.

Thanks for the link to Mike's web site Louisa, you're quite right - have never heard of him. What a shame.

They are saying now that what the police "saw" was a racial slur painted on the wall in the victim's blood. Guess drugs are out - and a racially motivated murder in a typically non-violent town really should be national news. But nope. Nothing.

Hbgchick said:
Thanks for the link to Mike's web site Louisa, you're quite right - have never heard of him. What a shame.

They are saying now that what the police "saw" was a racial slur painted on the wall in the victim's blood. Guess drugs are out - and a racially motivated murder in a typically non-violent town really should be national news. But nope. Nothing.
Yes, I would think that this would be quite newsworthy. In fact, the writing on the wall in blood is sort of Manson-esque. I wonder why it's not on the national news?

Hbgchick said:

Hbgchick,

Well this news is incredibly disgusting. Some really sick individual involved in that. Have the police offered any indication as to commonality between the three murders or do they seem to think there is no link ? Perhaps you should send your links about these cases to Greta or Rita Cosby. Perhaps AMW might take some interest - they seem to have broader horizons about distributing information. Seems like all of them have been fairly good about responding to emails that present information (at least I have heard this from some who have sent email to them).

Hope the police force gets some breaks really fast and get the culprit into custody quickly.

raisincharlie said:
Hbgchick,

Well this news is incredibly disgusting. Some really sick individual involved in that. Have the police offered any indication as to commonality between the three murders or do they seem to think there is no link ? Perhaps you should send your links about these cases to Greta or Rita Cosby. Perhaps AMW might take some interest - they seem to have broader horizons about distributing information. Seems like all of them have been fairly good about responding to emails that present information (at least I have heard this from some who have sent email to them).

Hope the police force gets some breaks really fast and get the culprit into custody quickly.
There is not even any news in the local paper today. I did not have an opportunity to look over the weekend, but by today it's not even on the radar screen.

The murders do not seem to be linked, and I believe that the two other killers are already in prison.

Thanks for the tip, I might send the info to Greta.

Hbgchick said:
There is not even any news in the local paper today. I did not have an opportunity to look over the weekend, but by today it's not even on the radar screen.
Over the weekend, there was some kind of news "embargo" on the story--just a statement that the police would not be releasing any new information.

A brief story appears today, mostly rehash of what little we know, a statement by the township police chief that LE have been constantly interviewing people but there is nothing new to report, and a reminder that police said last week there are no known motives or suspects in the slaying.

The "embargo" over the weekend makes me suspect there's a lot we don't know yet behind the scenes. I hope LE has something to go on.

Newest not-really-news in the case...

Police: Crime scene neighbors have no reason for fear
By Mike Joseph

mjoseph@centredaily.com

PATTON TOWNSHIP -- Authorities said Tuesday the lack of an arrest in the killing of Penn State senior Langston Carraway does not pose a threat to neighbors or any other residents around the slain man's apartment.

Police Chief John E. Petrick said evidence gathered inside apartment 201 at 110 Northbrook Lane indicates that neighbors have "nothing at all" to be afraid of, though he refused to elaborate.

"We believe that this was an isolated incident related to that apartment specifically, but I won't go into details," Police Chief John E. Petrick said. "No one has called up. No one has showed any signs of being nervous at all. So that's a good sign. People aren't alarmed at all."

Carraway was found dead in his apartment on the afternoon of June 5, a Monday. Police have been searching without success for a suspect since then.

Petrick said Tuesday there were no new developments in the case, and he urged anyone with any information to call Centre County Dispatch at (800) 479-0050 or Centre County Crime Stoppers at (877) 99-CRIME.

"We're getting some stuff," Petrick said. "Any information is greatly appreciated."

Mike Joseph can be reached at 235-3910.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/14809287.htm

Hbdchick,

i've looked and seen nothing new on this case. Have you seen anything lately that indicates there might be some movement towards a resolution ?

RC

No raisncharlie. Absolutely nothing. The local "buzz" is that it was definitely racially motivated and there is lots of specualtion, but LE and the media is keeping extremely tight-lipped. The latest is the previous article I posted from the 13th. :banghead: .

I will post anything if I hear of it to be from a credible source, thanks for checking back. Sorry if I got a little snippy earler...just a sensitive subject (my home town). :blushing:

Hbgchick said:
No raisncharlie. Absolutely nothing. The local "buzz" is that it was definitely racially motivated and there is lots of specualtion, but LE and the media is keeping extremely tight-lipped. The latest is the previous article I posted from the 13th. :banghead: .

I will post anything if I hear of it to be from a credible source, thanks for checking back. Sorry if I got a little snippy earler...just a sensitive subject (my home town). :blushing:
Thanks Hbgchick - I hope the "tight-lipped" approach is because the police have something going on that will result in getting the party(s) responsible. I hope they can get it solved and lock the animal away. Does Penn have improved laws for hate crimes?

I honestly didn't take your posts as snippy, sometimes I just can't seem to figure the right way to "write" things in a more sensitive way. :silenced: I assure you I meant no harm.

My home town just got a serious wake up call - pretty much a hate crime. A 21 year old young man (Mexican) answered his door to what he thought was his girlfriend and was fatally shot. Makes me sick, a 21 year old man dead for a most idiotic reason. The police have determined who did it and why but the fellow is still on the loose. The police have splashed his face on the local news as well as a description of his car and plate number. Hopefully they will get him soon and send him on his way to the state pen ASAP.

I will check back - thanks for any info you come across. I hope the police solve it soon.

raisincharlie said:
Thanks Hbgchick - I hope the "tight-lipped" approach is because the police have something going on that will result in getting the party(s) responsible. I hope they can get it solved and lock the animal away. Does Penn have improved laws for hate crimes?
I hope so too rasincharlie. That's what they seem to be inferring.

As far as laws for hate crimes in Pennsylvania, I really have no idea. Think I'll check it out though!

Will post more if/when it is published.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back