995 users online (192 members and 803 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Here is some info from the Charley Project:
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/debruhl_eva.html

DeBruhl was last seen at her residence in Catawba, South Carolina on June 29, 1977. She mowed her lawn and then went inside to make some iced tea. She told her father he had been called in to go to work, and he left just after 11:00 a.m. DeBruhl's mother, who worked the night shift, was asleep at the time. She woke up at about noon and her daughter was gone. DeBruhl has never been heard from again. A pot of iced tea and a glass were later found undisturbed in the house, the television had been turned on, and DeBruhl's rubber flip-flops were on the front lawn. None of her clothes or other belongings were missing.

DeBruhl's grandmother lived near the family's home in 1977. She stated that on the morning DeBruhl went missing, she saw a late model blue and white or green and white Jeep-type vehicle drive up to the DeBruhl residence and stop by the front door. A man got out and stood on the front porch; he appeared to be talking to someone through the screen door. The vehicle left, but returned ten or fifteen minutes later. DeBruhl's grandmother did not hear any suspicious noises and did not see her granddaughter get inside the car. The man driving it has never been identified and it is unclear whether he has any connection to DeBruhl's case. He is described as Caucasian. of medium height and build, wearing a light-colored shirt and pants.

DeBruhl is described as shy and deeply religious; she was a member of the Providence Baptist Church and sang in the choir. She graduated from Castle Heights Junior High School prior to her disappearance and was looking forward to attending Rock Hill High School in the fall of 1977. Her family stated she was well-behaved prior to her disappearance, had no boyfriends and always kept her mother informed of her whereabouts. Her father is deceased, but her mother and two sisters continue to search for her. Few details are available in her case, but foul play is suspected.
    MySpace page for Eva DeBruhl:
    http://www.myspace.com/evadebruhlmissing

oh OK thanks for that. usually i check both doe & CP.. but this time just assumed there was no further info. unfortunately if disappearances like this were taken more seriously back then, a description could have been released (with a photo of a similar jeep) and the guy may have been identified. also neighbors could have spoken up to LE if they had been approached by the same guy.. (if he were posing as a door-to-door solicitor, hoping to meet a young vulnerable girl).. and they could have been witnesses to what he looked like up-close and given a better description. but it's been so long now.

Best lead and possible scenario...

The best and perhaps only lead in this case is the description by Eva's grandmother of a White man of medium height and build who apparently approached the DeBruhl house twice just prior to Eva's disappearance.

He may have been observing her mowing the grass earlier and waited until she entered the house to drive up in his two tone Jeep vehicle.

His first stop was probably a probing one to see who was at home and to make some contact with Eva. He may have asked if her parents were home, or if there was anyone home who could give him some directions. On finding that she was home alone, he may have asked other questions like if she had any relatives or friends nearby who could give her better directions...

His second stop was made knowing that Eva was alone, and perhaps knowing some other bit of information. He may have told her that he had just stopped by her grandmother's house and found her unconcious in the yard, or that her grandmother asked him to bring her over right away, etc. etc. He was a con man who got her to get into his vehicle quickly and without any struggle which would attract attention. He probably was a soft-spoken guy who seemed very nice and sincere...

good possibilities.. and you are probably right,, that he sweet-talked her into getting into the car with him somehow. however, didn't the article(s) say that her mom was home, taking a nap? that's why it was pretty bold of someone to just take a girl from her home (the front door, broad daylight).. while a relative was there.

Bold move...

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    ...it was pretty bold of someone to just take a girl from her home (the front door, broad daylight).. while a relative was there.
    It was indeed a bold move, and yet he did it anyway. It is this sort of thing that would possibly connect this case to others. When one might think, "Nobody would do that, it is too risky", that is the time to consider that maybe the perpetrator has a risk taking personality, and may have done similar things before and since.

Taking a risk like this would tend to indicate that he had done it before and was comfortable in doing it. He may have left himself an "out" when approaching for the second time. For instance, if the mother were awake, he might have simply asked for directions again, or some such. But finding the mother still asleep, he might have used it to his advantage in some way. Certainly, Eva would have been more comfortable going to his car if she knew her mother was nearby.

<Certainly, Eva would have been more comfortable going to his car if she knew her mother was nearby.>

exactly..... or, if she knew the guy. he could have been someone who knew her, and knew where she lived.

On the CourtTV boards, there is mention that a dental match between her and a Jane Doe was off by just one tooth and there are/were some questions about that.

It seemed they were in the process of investigating that but I didn't see that it went any further.

Dental Records

Quote Originally Posted by pardilia View Post
    On the CourtTV boards, there is mention that a dental match between her and a Jane Doe was off by just one tooth and there are/were some questions about that.

It seemed they were in the process of investigating that but I didn't see that it went any further.
    That is very interesting. I have seen 2 specific cases where positive identifications were made by the US Army based on only one tooth each found in co-mingled and scattered remains from a World War II plane crash. And a third man was positively identified by process of elimination - although none of his teeth were found to compare, he was known to be in the same plane with the other two.

And in contrast, I have seen where a State Medical Examiner refused to make a positive identification because of a descrepancy between a John Doe's teeth and a very old, out of date Army Dental Record. In the end, the ME would only concede that he "couldn't rule out" a match based on the dental record.

Often a "Dental Record" consists only of a standard chart which has been colored in by the dentist at some point. How often does that chart get re-done or corrected when a new filling is added, or an old one replaced?

I don't know if there is any kind of accepted criteria for declaring a match or non-match. It probably varies from state to state and examiner to examiner. A sort of science and subjective judgement combination.

Here's the Jane Doe:
    http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase610.html

It looks like the poster on the CourtTV board is Eva's nephew's wife. She was the one that stated that the ID was only off by one tooth - there is no mention of Eva's comparison to the NC UID on the doenetwork site.

well, couldn't they rule her in/out based on what she was wearing that day, compared to the clothing found on the body? also it says her flip-flops were left in the yard, and this jane doe had sandals on. also red metallic nail polish- her parents would know if eva had on nail polish that day, or if she was likely to wear it.

although, of course it's possible he kept her hostage for a while and gave her different clothes to wear. but, i find it hard to believe she (or, he) would paint her nails. it just doesn't seem likeyl this is her.

Clothing...

well, couldn't they rule her in/out based on what she was wearing that day, compared to the clothing found on the body? also it says her flip-flops were left in the yard, and this jane doe had sandals on. also red metallic nail polish- her parents would know if eva had on nail polish that day, or if she was likely to wear it....
    The Jane Doe was located in June 1978. Eva disappeared in June 1977. Aproximately 11 months had passed between Eva's disappearance and the Unknown girl's estimated death date. That being the case, one cannot rule out anything regarding clothing or nail polish.

BUT... as you indicate, a positive match between the two cases would almost have to include a scenario where the killer had kept Eva alive for close to a year somewhere, and supplied her with other clothing.

The NC state line is not far from Catawba, South Carolina. So it is possible. With the detail mentioned about the missing and repaired teeth of the Jane Doe, I find it very hard to believe that the dental match was only off by one tooth!

I have been thinking and is it at all possible she had a secret boyfriend? I get the impression she was religious as was her family and sometimes girls from families like that will hide boyfriends and friends from strict parents. Perhaps she went willingly with someone who was a secret whom she thought she was in love with but he had more sinister motives?
    I thought maybe she could have staged her dissappearance with someone but that seems too far fetched as I get the impression she may have been sheltered and not street wise enough to do that.

well, couldn't they rule her in/out based on what she was wearing that day, compared to the clothing found on the body? also it says her flip-flops were left in the yard, and this jane doe had sandals on. also red metallic nail polish- her parents would know if eva had on nail polish that day, or if she was likely to wear it.

although, of course it's possible he kept her hostage for a while and gave her different clothes to wear. but, i find it hard to believe she (or, he) would paint her nails. it just doesn't seem likeyl this is her.
    This is just from recall, but I think they just did the dental because of the time period and the relative was trying to track down if that particular jane doe had ever been ID'd and if they could do a comparison now that there's a bit more technology. I think there were a few other statments/characteristics of that particular UID that made it highly likely it was her and it seemed that they were extremely reluctant to make any sort of statement even implying that there was a possibility they were the same person.

Again, this is all from a vague recollection from the board, but I know when I looked, I could not find the UID on the doe network, but this was when those posts were new.

This is one of the cases that has always interested me...the ones where it seems people were just there living their life normally one minute and snatched out of it the next are rather curious since in most cases there is at least some theory as to what happened...whether it be a pedophile, custody dispute, etc. This is one of the disappearances where it truly seems she was there one moment, about to take a drink, and then gone the next.

"Jeep Type" Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Gina_M View Post
    Here is some info from the Charley Project:
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/debruhl_eva.html

DeBruhl's grandmother lived near the family's home in 1977. She stated that on the morning DeBruhl went missing, she saw a late model blue and white or green and white Jeep-type vehicle drive up to the DeBruhl residence and stop by the front door. A man got out and stood on the front porch; he appeared to be talking to someone through the screen door. The vehicle left, but returned ten or fifteen minutes later. DeBruhl's grandmother did not hear any suspicious noises and did not see her granddaughter get inside the car. The man driving it has never been identified and it is unclear whether he has any connection to DeBruhl's case. He is described as Caucasian. of medium height and build, wearing a light-colored shirt and pants. ...

It is possible the the vehicle was actually a Jeep - perhaps a CJ-5, CJ-6, or a CJ-7 model. There were not a lot of other four wheel drive vehicles that looked a lot like a Jeep back in 1977. The popular color for a Jeep back then was White with different color markings and model names painted on the sides.

Link to another Websleuths discussion about Eva...

Here is a link to another websleuths topic about Eva. Titled:
    Eva DeBruhl - South Carolina

LINK:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50863

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast