803 users online (113 members and 690 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similarities to the Lyon case...

There are a number of similarities between this case and that of the missing Lyon sisters of Wheaton, Maryland, who disappeared on Tuesday, 25 March 1975.

The girls bore a resemblence: young, blonde, blue eyes, short and small...

The abductor took them on a weekday near noon in broad daylight.

Witnesses described the girls speaking to a strange man shortly before their disappearance.

A vehicle was very likely used in both instances.

It was warm, pleasant weather.

The scenes were rather pleasant neighborhoods, considered safe by most folks.

Theories for both cases tend to center on a single individual who has the ability to lure rather shy or apprehensive young girls to a vehicle.

No trace of the girls has ever been found.

Missing since 1977...

Bumping this thread up. There is another thread on Eva as well.

Should we ask the Mods to merge the 2 threads?
    God Grant me the serenity to accept those things which I cannot change, the strength to change those things which I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore, and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past; there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Quote Originally Posted by eeyorelrn View Post
    Should we ask the Mods to merge the 2 threads?
    We could, but it probably is not necessary. Each thread has a link to the other, and if you run a search using her name, both would come up.

There are also a number of other duplications where folks post a new thread and one already exists. I have on occasion done that myself inadvertantly.

My advice to anyone who wants to post information on a case is to first run a search of the forum to see if a thread already exists. If so, you will get a listing of all such threads, and you can post your information there. Posting on a thread (even one which has been dormant for a few months or years) will bring it to the top of the order for all to see that there is new information posted.

The 2 threads have been merged.

I wish there was a way to look at the files on this case, to see what LE had ruled out, what theories they had pursued, the interview noted from Eva's family and friends... then again, that may just be the nosy lil girl in me coming out. =D
    God Grant me the serenity to accept those things which I cannot change, the strength to change those things which I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore, and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past; there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Quote Originally Posted by eeyorelrn View Post
    I wish there was a way to look at the files on this case, to see what LE had ruled out, what theories they had pursued, the interview noted from Eva's family and friends... then again, that may just be the nosy lil girl in me coming out. =D
    Oh, eeyorelrn, isn't that "nosy lil girl" in all of us the reason we're here on WS in the first place? Heh. It's that "nosy lil girl/neighbour" in us that bothers to check on cold cases and maybe make a difference. Yay for nosy lil girls! (and boys)

Hello,
    I've seen information that Eva disappeared some time between 11:am and 3 pm. Well, according to her parents, the father left for work at 11 and the mother woke up at noon. So that means that Eva disappeared/was kidnapped between 11 and Noon...right?
    Also it would be interesting to know how the flipflops were found on the lawn? Did it looked they were neatly (went away with someone she knew) left there or in a hurry (was taken)? All to reveal some sort of state of mind at the time Eva vanished.

Time frame...

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinderint View Post
    Hello,
    I've seen information that Eva disappeared some time between 11:am and 3 pm. Well, according to her parents, the father left for work at 11 and the mother woke up at noon. So that means that Eva disappeared/was kidnapped between 11 and Noon...right?
    Also it would be interesting to know how the flipflops were found on the lawn? Did it looked they were neatly (went away with someone she knew) left there or in a hurry (was taken)? All to reveal some sort of state of mind at the time Eva vanished.
    I have also seen the differing time frames that you mention. I have a feeling that the 11 to 3 time frame is what is the official line, but do not know why. Perhaps investigators decided that the mother might have gotten up at noon, but had not conduted a thorough search at that time. Also, there is information about Eva running bath water, making tea, etc so perhaps that all would have been considered as well in coming up with a time line.

I do not know how the flip flops were positioned. That might indicate something if they were found near where a car would have parked, but maybe not if they were near the porch or near the lawn mower.

Missing ... since 1977

By Andrew Dys
    06/16/06

Opal Phillips never saw her daughter again. Maybe, 29 years later, somebody knows what happened to Eva DeBruhl.

Her family clings to a cliff of hope. Eva was 15 when she disappeared from her home southeast of Rock Hill on June 29, 1977.

Her grandmother saw a white man on the porch, police say, but nobody saw anything else.

York County deputies have investigated the case time and again through the years.

First was a massive police and community search. Leads through the years, like links to a serial killer, ended unfounded.

Bones found turned out to belong to somebody else. Two skulls found as recently as last summer were male. More dead ends.

The search consumed the family for years. Every corpse police found, the DeBruhls hoped. Every arrest, they prayed. Nothing.

Detectives have reopened the case several times. Sheriff’s Lt. Tim Hager said all crimes against persons officers are required to review the case file each year, hoping fresh eyes see something new.

Recently, the State Law Enforcement Division created a computer enhanced image of what Eva might look like now, at age 44, if she were alive. Willard DeBruhl, Eva’s father, died in 1997, long after he quit his auto mechanic job and sold his house to spend his money and life in a fruitless search.

“My daddy died of a broken heart,” said Tami Settlemyer, one of Eva’s two sisters. The family blames no one for 29 years of shattered hope.

Not law enforcement. They just have no idea what happened that summer day.

If someone kidnapped Eva, even killed her, Eva’s two sisters and mother say each has forgiven that person.

“But we are no closer to knowing what happened now than we were then,” said Elaine Tyre, Eva’s other sister. On Saturday in Rock Hill, one organization that specializes in trying to find missing people will come to York County to shine another light on the case.

Tyre’s daughter-in-law recently contacted the Community United Effort Center for Missing Persons after doing Internet searches about Eva. Monica Caison, who has run the Wilmington, N.C.-based center for 13 years, is in the midst of a multistate tour covering 74 missing people. The group tries to help law enforcement get the word out about cold cases.

Caison researched the case and agreed to help. Eva’s case is the second-oldest the organization is working on, she said. “It gives us hope,” said Opal Phillips, Eva’s mother.

Hope isn’t hope that Eva is alive. Her mother does not believe her daughter is alive. Her sisters don’t, either. But they can hope to finally find out what happened.

Eva’s mother and sisters are devout Christians. Each has forgiven whoever took Eva if she was kidnapped and killed. But they want to know why ,why a 15-year-old girl disappears near Rock Hill without a trace.

Lt. Hager is a parent. Like Opal Phillips. “I can’t imagine what its been like for 29 years,” he said. “I can’t claim to understand how they feel. But what we can do is keep trying.”

Along with the age-enhanced photo, the two sisters and Phillips recently gave the sheriff’s office DNA samples so if any evidence is found — a bone fragment, anything — detectives can use the newest technology to try and match DeBruhl’s DNA, Capt. Jerry Hoffman said.

Eva’s enhanced picture also is on file also with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, Hoffman said. Saturday, the family will be there at a rally. Hoffman will be there, too.

A family hopes that somehow 29 years of suffering can disappear with a thread of information. A tip. A lead. “Anything,” Phillips said. “We just want it to be over.”

Eva's Story

Story from the family:

Eva DeBruhl was like many teenage girls her age. There were some ways that she was different also. Eva was a very sweet, loving and beautiful 15 year old girl. She loved to sing gospel music at church. In fact, Eva, her father, and one of her sisters were always invited to other churches to sing together. The three of them even recorded tapes of them singing together. Eva loved singing with her father and sister. And they loved singing with Eva just as much.

Little did they know, going back and listening to the tapes were going to be the only way they were ever going to hear the beautiful girl sing again. On June 29, 1977, Mr. DeBruhl had went to work that morning.

Mrs. DeBruhl worked third shift at a local mill, so she had came in from work that morning and had laid down to rest for a while. With her father at work and her mother lying down to get some rest after work, Eva decided she was going to cut the grass for her parents. She did just that. At some point after cutting the grass, Eva was going to take a bath and make herself a glass of tea.

Mrs. DeBruhl awoke from her nap a few hours later. She looked and looked for Eva but saw no sign of her. She only found the glass of ice sitting on the counter that Eva was going to fill with tea and a bath tub of water that Eva never bathed in. The recliner in the living room was also stretched out as if someone had been stretched out in it watching TV with the PTL Club, a Christian based TV program, playing.

Mr. DeBruhl was home by this time and the two of them searched around the house and called friends to see if Eva was at their home by chance. Eva had always asked her parents about going to a friends house before. She had NEVER just left without telling anyone.

Mr. and Mrs. DeBruhl could not find any trace of Eva so they called the York County Sheriff's Department to report her missing. The Sheriff's department filed a report and performed a search of Landsford Canal State Park.

Still, to this day, there has been no sign of Eva, nor has anyone heard from her. Over the years, Mr. and Mrs. DeBruhl tried many times to have Eva's case re-opened to no avail. Even up to one week before Mr. DeBruhl passed away in 1997, he was at the Sheriff's department trying to get answers into his daughter's disappearance.

... much more at below link...

Source:
    Missing Woman: Eva DeBruhl--SC--06/29/1977

LINK:

http://www.projectjason.org/forums/i...hp?topic=414.0

I heard a few things... Some people say that the vehicle was a pickup truck...possibly two toned. The mother says she woke after hearing a loud noise which she though was the slamming of a screened door. But maybe the time of the dissapearance is based more on when the grandmother saw the suspect vehicle for the last time...she only lived about 100 feet from the house. A lot of people say the grandmother saw more than she ever told...quoting her as saying "They might come back and get me...". As far as I know, she died years later without ever saying anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters View Post
    I have been thinking and is it at all possible she had a secret boyfriend? I get the impression she was religious as was her family and sometimes girls from families like that will hide boyfriends and friends from strict parents. Perhaps she went willingly with someone who was a secret whom she thought she was in love with but he had more sinister motives?
    I thought maybe she could have staged her dissappearance with someone but that seems too far fetched as I get the impression she may have been sheltered and not street wise enough to do that.
    I thought about that, too (that she had a secret boyfriend who she left with). If someone tried to take her by force from her house and her mom was asleep in the house, wouldn't she have started screaming or something of that nature and her mom would have woke up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambercat View Post
    I thought about that, too (that she had a secret boyfriend who she left with). If someone tried to take her by force from her house and her mom was asleep in the house, wouldn't she have started screaming or something of that nature and her mom would have woke up?
    I think you are on to something here. It seems like if she were being abducted she would scream and wake her mother up. Also, it is stated the grandmother saw a man on the porch and he left and returned 10 or 15 minutes later. Why would an abductor show up and then return??? Also, if he were an abductor she would have tried to get help before he returned. It seems like a staged disappearance. The only problem is it seems like at she became an adult she would have contacted her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeboy View Post
    I think you are on to something here. It seems like if she were being abducted she would scream and wake her mother up. Also, it is stated the grandmother saw a man on the porch and he left and returned 10 or 15 minutes later. Why would an abductor show up and then return??? Also, if he were an abductor she would have tried to get help before he returned. It seems like a staged disappearance. The only problem is it seems like at she became an adult she would have contacted her family.
    Maybe it was staged on her part, but the male who she left with was not a good person and deceived then murdered her. There is something bothering me -- when Eva took of her flip-flops, did she put on other shoes? Because I just can't see leaving willingly barefoot. But if she didn't leaving willingly, she would have screamed her head off to wake up her mom? I must be missing something here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast