CA CA - Richard 'Dick' Hansen, San Jose, 29 April 1991

georgiagirl

Opinionated Southern Belle
Reaction score
I cannot find any info about wether it has been solved or not.

A man and a woman are driving home at night and they are in separate cars following each other and they stop off somewhere for some reason and a strange man pulls up behind them and just sits there staring at them. They pull off and get on the highway and the man follows them and tails them the whole way so then they pull off and the man (Dick Hanson) gets out to confront the man and the strange man points at the back of the woman's car and says something and Dick Hanson says "Get the hell outta here!' and the stranger pulls out a gun and shoots and kills him. After the shots are fired the woman jumps out of her car and looks back at the man and he just sat and stared at her and then drove off.

Does anyone remember this case? I want to say it was in Seattle, maybe...and the victim was a former pro football player and newly divorced.

I just saw it on UM yesterday too!!! I googled it but to no avail...I looked under Dick Hanson and Dick Hansen, football player, California..the only thing I came up with was the UM episode we just saw and they spelled it Hansen. I would love to read more about this too...very strange case

liz325 said:
I just saw it on UM yesterday too!!! I googled it but to no avail...I looked under Dick Hanson and Dick Hansen, football player, California..the only thing I came up with was the UM episode we just saw and they spelled it Hansen. I would love to read more about this too...very strange case
That is funny! I did the exact same thing! Tried both spellings of that name and everything. Odd that it is not anywhere!

Could you please post the UM link? I couldn't find it on the website...

bykerladi said:
Could you please post the UM link? I couldn't find it on the website...
I went back and looked at it again it wasn't exactly a link to the show...it was a link to the show listing on the Internet Movie Database, or the IMDB. When I googled Dick Hansen murder on Unsolved Mysteries, I only got one hit and that's where it took me.

Here's the link but it really doesn't mention that episode except to list every show each season..and I looked through some but not all of them. I think all it would do would be to give a description of the episode.

Sorry! I wish there was more info on it! It evidently never got solved even after that episode because I could find nothing more than this link:

http://unisolthereturn.imdb.com/title/tt0094574/

i think i remember that.. didn't that woman have a rear license plate with 49's hugs or something like that on it. and they though that maybe what that guy was mad over a blame football team...What a reason to shoot some one over

I saw that episode the other day and I has been on my mind...why did he follow her car? The license plate...Not a fan of the fact that she liked a different team than he did...that was a pretty weak reason for killing but who knows!

This is the only info I could find from UM IMBb boards....
http://unisolthereturn.imdb.com/title/tt0094574/board/thread/42794569

If the link doesn't work.....

Anyone remember this case?

Dick Hansen, a former college football player in San Jose (Calif) was out on a date with a woman when suddenly this guy in a Camaro began to follow Dick's girlfriend and she was following behind Dick b/c she was bad with directions. That being said, when Dick & his girlfriend pulled over, so did the stalker, and when Dick confronted the guy, Dick was shot 2 times fatally. That being said, cops believe the killing could be related to the license plate of Dick's girlfriend which read something like "49R HUGZ" and perhaps it was a fan who was angry because Dick fit the bill of a football player. This case happened around 1993 if my memory serves me correct.

Any updates?

Amy Noel said:
That being said, cops believe the killing could be related to the license plate of Dick's girlfriend which read something like "49R HUGZ" and perhaps it was a fan who was angry because Dick fit the bill of a football player.
Sounds like it could have been an Oakland Raiders fan.

ok so he was pointing to her car, why assume that it was the plate? I mean, it could be anything, like did she get the car at an auction? Could a drug dealer have stashed drugs in the car and was trying to get her to pull over? Could she have known the culprit, I mean, its just strange that out of all the cars with something football related he picks this car? I dont know...strange all right!

ok now im going become slightly obsessed with this case. I cant even find the link to the unsolved mysteries but I did see the link about someone asking about the case. Does anyone know if dick was maybe a nick name? Tried richard but didnt work. also, where was he murdered, in san jose?

I've been looking everywhere too and can't find it. I know he was a football player but can't remember if they said he actually played for the 49ers. I found this site below and went through their rosters from 1950 to 1996 and couldn't find his name. Maybe he played for someone else. But I do remember watching the UM episode last week and during the reenactment they showed Dick Hansen getting out of his car and going back to ask the guy why he was following them. The guy said something to him and pointed to the license plate on the back of the car which said something 49ers. At that point Mr. Hansen threw his hands up in the air in disbelief at what the guy said and then told him to get out of there. That's when he got shot. I even looked in the San Jose Mercury News archives, as far back as the online archives go, and there was nothing. I went to Newspaperarchive.com but there is no San Jose newspaper on there at all. I THOUGHT they said on UM that it happened in San Jose but not sure. It's so baffling not to be able to find ANYTHING about it at all!

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf/histories/49ers/

liz325 said:
I've been looking everywhere too and can't find it. I know he was a football player but can't remember if they said he actually played for the 49ers. I found this site below and went through their rosters from 1950 to 1996 and couldn't find his name. Maybe he played for someone else. But I do remember watching the UM episode last week and during the reenactment they showed Dick Hansen getting out of his car and going back to ask the guy why he was following them. The guy said something to him and pointed to the license plate on the back of the car which said something 49ers. At that point Mr. Hansen threw his hands up in the air in disbelief at what the guy said and then told him to get out of there. That's when he got shot. I even looked in the San Jose Mercury News archives, as far back as the online archives go, and there was nothing. I went to Newspaperarchive.com but there is no San Jose newspaper on there at all. I THOUGHT they said on UM that it happened in San Jose but not sure. It's so baffling not to be able to find ANYTHING about it at all!

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf/histories/49ers/
no, he was not a pro player....Dick Hansen,was a former college football player in San Jose (Calif) and I believe it happened in Calif... going to do a search @ colleges and/or universities in San Jose...

I did a search of death records and the CLOSEST thing I could come up with was a william hansen (for some reason people go by dick but still no even close to sure if its him) at age 49 anyone know an approx age?

I have to tell you--you have stumped me!! I can usually find anything on the internet and cannot find a singel thing on this!! I just e-mailed "The Best Damn Sports Show" asking them for help! LOL

Amy Noel said:
no, he was not a pro player....Dick Hansen,was a former college football player in San Jose (Calif) and I believe it happened in Calif... going to do a search @ colleges and/or universities in San Jose...
Sorry, I misunderstood or didn't read the previous posts carefully enough! I did find a good place to search for college football history. But I clicked under the WAC Conference under San Jose State and there was no info there. There may be other colleges in San Jose he could have played for but that one made the most sense to me. There is just NOTHING out there on this one! :banghead:

http://www.collegefootballhistory.com/

LinetteH said:
I have to tell you--you have stumped me!! I can usually find anything on the internet and cannot find a singel thing on this!! I just e-mailed "The Best Damn Sports Show" asking them for help! LOL
That's a good idea!! There has to be somewhere out there where there is info on this!

I posted a thread on another board for UM fans because it's full of people who keep up with various cases, but all I've gotten back so far is that no one seems to know anything. I'll keep checking. (I saw this last week too and began googling.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marlenewatches
Back