MI - Girl's MySpace Mideast Meeting Plot Foiled

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
DETROIT -- There's another case involving a teenager and the My Space.com Web site.

This time, a 16-year-old from Michigan is being sent home from Jordan, after her family said she ran off to meet a man she met on the site.

Her mother said she got the girl a passport, thinking she was going to Canada with a friend's family. Instead, she ran off.

The FBI traced her to a flight from New York to Jordan, where local authorities stopped her. Investigators seized the family's computer, but won't say anything about the man she was supposed to meet

More: http://www.ketv.com/news/9347200/detail.html

Good for the FBI!!!

MySpace has caused so much trouble... :razz:

I agree, and there seems to be no plans to monitor what's going on.

My space is just one of millions of ways to talk to someone.

My kitchen knives could be one of millions of way to kill someone, but I choose to use it to cut up onions. I don't blame my space. I blame the people who don't use it as it's intended purpose.

...and that girl is an idiot.

(The girl, the 16 year old - not ANYONE who states an opinion on here - just clarifying!) :)

It's being talked about on Fox News now. Something about he used Abdullah as a screen name or something....Glad they caught her

I'm glad too.

Her parents are probably at a complete and TOTAL loss to have ANY clue what to do about this.

I couldn't imagine my daughter doing this (and they probably couldn't either) so if it happened - I have no idea what I'd do about it.

Explain to her? Kill her? Ground her?

I'd just stare at my daughter and babble incoherantly for awhile - I would be so lost. And I'm the kind of Mom who always thinks she knows all the answers, too!

These teens who run away to the Middle East must have access to credit cards, no? I'm not sure any high school student needs a credit card.

LOL I know what you meant!

The problem with online forums like MySpace as opposed to your knife is the online forum is public and available to be used by any and all people, and innocent people are exposed to it, whereas not everyone can use your knife to plot things and scheme, etc ;)

englishleigh said:
Good for the FBI!!!

MySpace has caused so much trouble... :razz:
I blame the parents for not monitoring what their children are doing! Since when was it ok to let your kind go anywhere, even Canada, by herself or himself?

bykerladi said:
I blame the parents for not monitoring what their children are doing! Since when was it ok to let your kind go anywhere, even Canada, by herself or himself?
I wonder that too. She tells them she is going to Canada and they jsut plan to let her go and get her a passport?? WTF? :slap:

bykerladi said:

Ain't it the truth? As a teen, I didn't consider myself unduly supervised, but I never had enough "alone time" to stockpile guns or fly to Jordan.

bykerladi said:
Bingo! You are absolutely correct. Parents do have a responsibility to monitor their kids whereabouts. Leaving the USA on a trip??? I had better know about that and it would have to be checked out. Sorry, a girl of her age should not be calling the shots, not matter how good her grades are.

Actually, the article I read (on CNN) stated that the mom thought she was going to Canada with a friend and her family.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/09/myspace.runaway.ap/index.html

<SNIP>
"....
Katherine's mother, Shawn Lester, said her daughter had persuaded her in April to help her get a passport so she could go on a two-week vacation to Canada with a friend's family.

On Sunday, they drove to a bus station for that trip, but the family didn't show up. Shawn Lester said she called them, learned there was no trip and brought her daughter home. The next day, Katherine was gone...."

bykerladi said:

I was so bad at Geography at that age, I'm not sure I'd have even thought of leaving the State, much less the country. That's a ballsy girl!

If my 16 yr old was invited on a trip like that, I would have spoken to the parents right away. I don't understand how any parent would just say ok without finding out details from the other parents who would be chaperoning my child. This is just weird.

PrayersForMaura said:
LOL I know what you meant!

The problem with online forums like MySpace as opposed to your knife is the online forum is public and available to be used by any and all people, and innocent people are exposed to it, whereas not everyone can use your knife to plot things and scheme, etc ;)
No, but they probably have the exact same set of knives in their house as well.

Mabel said:
Unless they've recently changed the laws, a passport isn't needed to go from the US to Canada.
Maybe before 2001 that was the case. But I can tell you that in 1991 I left the US to go to Toronto. I didn't havea passport, just a driver's license. They let me into Canada just fine. Getting back in took considerably longer. I finally proved my US citizenship by saying "mama'n'daddy" and "*advertiser censored* cream" (ice cream) to a Customs agent from the Deep South. He vouched that it was an authentic Arkansas accent and allowed me back in.

Mabel said:
Unless they've recently changed the laws, a passport isn't needed to go from the US to Canada.
Starting in 2007, I believe, the law will change. A passport will be needed to go to Canada and Mexico. Just another step towards securing our own borders and monitoring who comes in and goes out of the U.S.

ccoaster said:
Bingo! You are absolutely correct. Parents do have a responsibility to monitor their kids whereabouts. Leaving the USA on a trip??? I had better know about that and it would have to be checked out. Sorry, a girl of her age should not be calling the shots, not matter how good her grades are.
Why didn't they talk to the friend's parents she was supposedly traveling with? HELLO? My kids are not going anywhere without a lot more communication going on and if they DID talk to that freind's parents and they lied there has to be a lawsuit in there somewhere!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4
Back