1236 users online (293 members and 943 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Okla. governor approves executing molesters

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) Oklahoma on Friday became the fifth state to allow the death penalty for certain sex crimes, although legal scholars questioned the constitutionality of the new state law.
    Under the measure signed by Gov. Brad Henry, anyone convicted twice for rape, sodomy or lewd molestation involving children under 14 can face the death penalty.

South Carolina's governor signed a similar law on Thursday allowing the death penalty for offenders convicted twice of raping children younger than 11. Louisiana, Florida and Montana also have laws allowing the death penalty for certain sex crimes.

Defense attorneys and death penalty experts said the laws defy recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions that have scaled back the death penalty's application.

More: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...s_x.htm?csp=34
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

So happy to read this!
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

I think this is great, I live in Oklahoma & never heard about this, how awesome

Anything i write is just my opinion.

curious1 is offline So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!
    This is great, but now here come all the lawyers and bleeding hearts who are more damn concerned with the rights of the perp than they are the victims. To them I say.....

YES!!! Although I wish it came after ONE offense, not TWO.

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) Oklahoma on Friday became the fifth state to allow the death penalty for certain sex crimes, although legal scholars questioned the constitutionality of the new state law.
    Under the measure signed by Gov. Brad Henry, anyone convicted twice for rape, sodomy or lewd molestation involving children under 14 can face the death penalty.

South Carolina's governor signed a similar law on Thursday allowing the death penalty for offenders convicted twice of raping children younger than 11. Louisiana, Florida and Montana also have laws allowing the death penalty for certain sex crimes.

Defense attorneys and death penalty experts said the laws defy recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions that have scaled back the death penalty's application.

More: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...s_x.htm?csp=34

the only flaw I see is that it applies to offenders who are TWICE convicted.
    IMO pervs should not b let out of prison to re-offend..
    they should not ever ever ever get a second chance.

I have to agree they should not be let out the first time. I think with solid proof of their crimes, we should take away their eyesight. If they cannot see the child they cannot do it harm. I know that is way out there. But it is best I can think of short of shooting them dead!

Just this Okie's opinion!

Sabego

note to self: move back to Oklahoma ASAP!

Yeah Brad!!
    This is something that Frank would have never let passed!!
    April
    okie from muskogee

My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    the only flaw I see is that it applies to offenders who are TWICE convicted.
    IMO pervs should not b let out of prison to re-offend..
    they should not ever ever ever get a second chance.
    Amra, I agree 100%.

I think twice implies that the first time could be a miscarriage of justice. I am delighted Oklahoma and our GREAT Gov Brad Henry is doing SOMETHING! FINALLY! (Altho...legal hurdles now begin with the defense lawyers and the Supreme Court...he DID SOMETHING!) Living in Oklahoma is always an experience. This time it is in the right direction!
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

I hope that's rape of a child under 14, sodomy with a child under 14, and rape of a child under 14. Some of my favorite people enjoy a little sodomy with people their own age.
    "To be a good Republican, you have to believe that God hates homosexuality, but loves the death penalty." Ann Richards

Before we carry the celebration too far step back a bit and think of the ramifications:
    Isn't this going to lead to a situation in which a sex criminal will be more likely to kill his victim if he knows he will face the death penalty?
    At one time some states had the death penalty for kidnapping and that's what happened, there were cases in which people were murdered as a result.
    Good intentions- end result is fraught with danger in my opinion.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

deep in the countryside of northern Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
    Before we carry the celebration too far step back a bit and think of the ramifications:
    Isn't this going to lead to a situation in which a sex criminal will be more likely to kill his victim if he knows he will face the death penalty?
    At one time some states had the death penalty for kidnapping and that's what happened, there were cases in which people were murdered as a result.
    Good intentions- end result is fraught with danger in my opinion.

I think a sex criminal is more than likely to kill his/or her victim nowadays anyway. I mean are we assuming that a predator is going to rape and assault the child then drop them back off accordingly in front of their home? In a park maybe? No thanks, I think the death penalty is ....in the words of goldie locks....juuuust right. At first I thought maybe death penalty after 1st offense....but SS, you make a good point, I suppose someone m-i-g-h-t be falsely accused, that is possible but wouldn't the trial take care of determining guilt or innocence?
    The depths of which we are able to love will be measured by the depths we are able to love ourselves....et

There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must NEVER be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast