First Tropical Storm of the Season (Alberto) -merged-

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
An area of low pressure near the coast of Belize is sparking showers and thunderstorms in the northwestern Caribbean. The system is currently disorganized, but slow development is possible over the next couple of days, and we could have an organized tropical system later this weekend or by early next week in the northwestern Caribbean or southwestern Gulf of Mexico. analysis on this feature and on the Atlantic Basin, please click on to the Atlantic Basin Map.

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/news-weather-headlines.asp

update saturday a.m.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCMAT1+shtml/101247.shtml

TROPICAL DEPRESSION ONE SPECIAL FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 1
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL012006
1300Z SAT JUN 10 2006

TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR THE CUBAN PROVINCES OF
PINAR DEL RIO AND THE ISLE OF YOUTH.

INTERESTS ELSEWHERE IN THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO SHOULD MONITOR
THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.

TROPICAL DEPRESSION CENTER LOCATED NEAR 21.1N 85.3W AT 10/1300Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 45 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST OR 340 DEGREES AT 10 KT

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 1003 MB
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 30 KT WITH GUSTS TO 40 KT.
WINDS AND SEAS VARY GREATLY IN EACH QUADRANT. RADII IN NAUTICAL
MILES ARE THE LARGEST RADII EXPECTED ANYWHERE IN THAT QUADRANT.

:doh: No PLEASE! Nothing in the Gulf Coast this year. :(

Nws Tpc/National Hurricane Center Miami Fl

Statement as of 10:30 PM EDT on June 09, 2006

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico...

A broad area of low pressure centered between Honduras and westernCuba has changed little in organization during the past few hours.However...conditions appear to be favorable for this system tobecome a tropical depression or a tropical storm during the next 12to 24 hours. This system is expected to move northward acrossextreme western Cuba and the Yucatan Channel bringing squalls andadditional rains to the Cayman Islands and portions of Cuba. An AirForce reconnaissance aircraft is scheduled to investigate thissystem tomorrow afternoon...if necessary.

All interests in the northwestern Caribbean Sea and the southeasternGulf of Mexico should closely monitor the progress of this system.Because development could occur near Cuba at any time onSaturday...a tropical storm watch or warning may be required forportions of western Cuba.

Elsewhere...tropical storm formation is not expected throughSunday.

Forecaster Avila

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Go AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

We have so many people who have no homeowners insurance anymore. I hope no storms come this way. (SW Fla)

It is not coming here because I can't afford it too. LOL I really do not want another hurricane. The past 2 yrs have been nightmares for me and my family.

Becba said:
It is not coming here because I can't afford it too. LOL I really do not want another hurricane. The past 2 yrs have been nightmares for me and my family.
I understand. I feel the same way.

Comparing our weather from a couple of hours it went from rain in 10 days to rain in 7. Guess this is expected to move on out after we get some showers?

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
205 AM EDT SAT JUN 10 2006

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION FOR NORTH AMERICA...CENTRAL
AMERICA...THE GULF OF MEXICO...THE CARIBBEAN SEA...NORTHEASTERN
SECTIONS OF SOUTH AMERICA...AND THE ATLANTIC OCEAN TO THE
AFRICAN COAST FROM THE EQUATOR TO 32N. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION
IS BASED ON SATELLITE IMAGERY...WEATHER OBSERVATIONS...RADAR...
AND METEOROLOGICAL ANALYSIS.

BASED ON 0000 UTC SURFACE ANALYSIS AND SATELLITE IMAGERY THROUGH
0500 UTC.

...SPECIAL FEATURE...
1005 MB LOW IS IN THE NW CARIBBEAN NEAR 19N85W DRIFTING
NORTHWARD. THERE IS NO WELL-DEFINED CIRCULATION CENTER AS OF
YET BUT THE SYSTEM STILL SHOWS SIGNS OF BANDING FEATURES AND
LARGE (3-4 MB) 24 HOUR PRESSURE FALLS. THE SYSTEM IS CLOSE TO
BECOMING A TROPICAL DEPRESSION AND ALL SIGNS GENERALLY POINT TO
IT DEVELOPING LATER TODAY. COMPUTER MODEL GUIDANCE ROUGHLY
TAKE THE SYSTEM IN A NORTHWESTERLY DIRECTION TOWARD THE YUCATAN
CHANNEL AND INTO THE SOUTHERN GULF OF MEXICO BY ABOUT THIS TIME
TOMORROW. AN UPPER TROUGH TO THE W OF THE CYCLONE HAS BEEN
GRADUALLY MOVING WESTWARD WITH AN EXPANSION OF AN UPPER
ANTICYCLONE CENTERED NEAR 18N83W. FOR NOW.. THE PRIMARY THREAT
IS CONTINUED HEAVY RAINS OVER THE CAYMAN ISLANDS AND CENTRAL
CUBA WESTWARD AS SOME OF THOSE AREAS HAVE RECEIVED OVER 8 INCHES
OF RAIN. SCATTERED MODERATE CONVECTION IS FROM 17N-21N BETWEEN
JAMAICA AND 85W.

By AccuWeather.com Meteorologist Chuck Caracozza

(STATE COLLEGE) - As residents of the Gulf Coast swelter under the sun this weekend, all eyes along the Gulf Coast will be on a broad area of low pressure in the northwestern Caribbean. Pressures near the coast of Belize have been lowering in the past 36 hours and there is some concern that as this area of low pressure continues to move toward the northwest and away from the Yucatan Peninsula, it will encounter an environment where conditions will be more favorable for further development due to warm water. However, just how the upper-level winds are going to behave is still somewhat of a question. Nevertheless, if the upper-level winds become more favorable, there is the possibility of a tropical system developing over the weekend and moving into the central Gulf of Mexico by Monday.

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/news-weather-headlines.asp

DK, I think a thread has been started about this in the Jury room :)

I hope we get some kind of rain - and soon!!!! I think it's rained like twice in the last 60 or more days. I'm tired of watering everything by hand.

Now for the big debate (oh, by the way, I'm on the Gulf side of Florida) - anyway, I think we need a new roof and the BIG QUESTION IS ---

do I hang tight and wait to see if a hurricaine blows it off OR do I get a new one NOW and wait to see if a hurricaine blows it off?

We have a roofer coming by next week to tell me how bad he thinks it is, but I'm gonna be so po'd if we get a new one and the BIG ONE HITS HERE!

What are we officially 10 days into cane season??? Its already gray cloudy and crappy here.

So far no Hurricane warnings have gone out so I am not to worried.

At This Time...the Main Threat From The Depression Is Heavy
Rainfall. The Depression Is Expected To Produce Total Rainfall
Accumulations Of 10 To 20 Inches Over The Western Half Of Cuba...
With Isolated Totals Of 30 Inches Over The Higher Terrain. This
Could Cause Devastating Flash Floods And Mudslides. Rainfall
Totals Of 4 To 8 Inches Are Possible Over The Cayman Islands...with
3 To 5 Inches Over The Northeastern Portion Of The Yucatan
Peninsula. There Is Also The Potential For Heavy Rainfall Of 4 To 8
Inches Possible Over The Florida Keys And Western Florida From
Sunday Into Monday.

Repeating The 800 Am Cdt Position...21.1 N...85.3 W. Movement
Toward...north-northwest Near 12 Mph. Maximum Sustained Winds...35
Mph. Minimum Central Pressure...1003 Mb.

OK Folks .. Do you live in a tropical storm/hurricane prone area???

If so .. Are You Ready??

FEMA has put out a pretty good checklist of readiness items. It's worth printing out and utilizing as you put together 'your readiness supply kits".

I printed out 2 copies - 'one' to take with me shopping for necessities and the other to keep in my hurricane disaster file w/ items checked off & stored with my emergency supplies.

This is "FEMA's Helpful Hurricane (or any other disaster!) Checklist"

Last year, I sent my 2 largest generators to 'Animal Shelters' in Louisiana after Katrina hit and private efforts for pet rescue had been initiated. So recently, during Fla's 9 day tax holiday period, I purchased 2 additional large generators to replace them. If any of you are considering such a purchase - I highly recommend Home Depot.

The big generators do not come with the wheel base & handle already installed. Generator directions are not always clear and can be exasperating. So, putting it together is a royal pain in the tush. However - good news - if you request assembly at the customer service desk - Home Depot will decipher those confusing directions and assembly all those tricky parts for you for "free". Yes .. FREE! And they will deliver the fully assembled generator to your home for a nominal charge. All you do is add oil & fuel. It's worth it, believe me!

After what I went through in the 2004 season (Charley, Frances & Jeanne) locating one, purchasing, getting these heavy monsters home & then putting them together in 95+ degree heat with no electricity .. I decided to get ahead of the game this year. Gotta say - Home Depot was my lifesaver - and now, I'm all set! :D

So .. if any of you guys are considering purchasing any large heavy generator .. my suggestion is that it's well worth getting one now when they are still available to purchase "assembled & delivered".

Once a hurricane is headed to your area - or worse, after one hits - you probably won't find appropriately priced generators if you can find one at all .. much less having the service of assembly & delivery. Oh - and don't forget to pick up several 5 gallon gas containers (for reg. unleaded gas), fuel stabilizer, 2-4 cycle engine oil & a sturdy funnel.

Now - here's hoping none of the predicted storms visit any of our hometowns this season! Wouldn't that be novel!! :D

13th Juror

narlacat said:
DK, I think a thread has been started about this in the Jury room :)
Oops, severe weather stuff normally is in this forum, but my bad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back